Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/10/2005 6:36:04 PM EDT
I live in an apartment, I'm active enough to take said dog out once or twice a day, I don't like tiny dogs.  I'm a big fan of dogs, they seem to like me more than other people and I really do need something to talk to!!

But I have NO idea what kinda dog to get.   Any experts out there?  I'd prefer to not pay a sh*tload of money too, and I hear that you can go to shelters or adoption centers and they don't charge (That much).

Any ideas?

(and please don't say "go to the shelter and pick one up" - I know that  what should I look for?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:50:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Border Collies make excellent running buddies and they tend to stay close to home.  Patty
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:51:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Border Collies make excellent running buddies and they tend to stay close to home.  Patty

They need lots of exercise though. Get ya a pug and name him Frank.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:52:55 PM EDT
[#3]

kids love them. There really good if your not a neat freak , cause they like to make a mess if your not watching them.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:54:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Take a dog out once or twice a day??????

Please do not get a dog!
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:57:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Dogs need to be walked at least twice a day. If you can't do that or have someone walk it for you when your not able, then I recommend you not get a dog.

If you are able to walk it at least twice a day, I'd recommend a Golden Retriever or a Labrador Retriever.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:58:35 PM EDT
[#6]
whoops, I read active and added two and two together and got 12.  Get a basset hound.  It takes them 8 hours to figure out you're gone.

Patty
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#7]
You want  a manly, not verry active dog that is fairly easy to care for get an English Bulldog.

A good name for him would be Winston, after Sir Winston Chruchill.

I think that is a damn good name for an English Bulldog.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:03:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Black Lab....great dogs!

HH
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:06:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

a Border Collie in a apartment? TSK
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:07:30 PM EDT
[#10]
boston terrier...hands down.
perfect gentleman....dressed formally in the black and white.
if you search enough....you'll see that they are rated in the top 3 apartment lifestyle dogs.
also.....go to woofboard.com and check out all the bostons they have there.
they are the best.

mines name is ''Frankenstein''   he's awesome
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

a Border Collie in a apartment? TSK

They are way too active for apartment living and need ALOT of exercise.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:11:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I want one of these.

Belgian Malinois
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:16:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Any kind of Lab would be your best bet but watch out Labs are people dogs and need to be around someone.  They do not like being left alone.  Many Labs suffer from Separation Anxiety.  I also agree though if you can only take the dog out one or two times a day then you don't have time for a dog.

www.dazzling-diamonds.net/picpuppyline%20gele%20labs%20aan%20de%20lijn.jpg

This little guy is looking for a good home.  Gets a little mad when he doesn't get his fix.

www.parsplanet.com/midane-khande/mad_dog.jpg]www.parsplanet.com/midane-khande/mad_dog.jpg
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:18:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't you have any friends with dogs? Start tomorrow to contact every one of them you know and tell them that you'll volunteer to watch Fido for a week while they go on vacation. You'll have a GREAT idea of whether you really want a dog after that. And, unless poochie dies in your care ... your friends will owe you a big favor, too. Most kennels suck. Think about that also, Mr future dog-owner; for when you have to leave town. Read every general dog breed book you can, narrow a list down to no more than 5 or 6 breeds and then do an internet search for reputable breeders within driving distance. Please don't make a hasty decision cuz' if you do go ahead and get a dog, your emotions are never going to be UNinvolved again. Trust me. And, FWIW... I'll bet you could find a dog to talk to in the Gulf Coast area right about now. Good luck & Stay safe
PS ... I'm on my 2nd English Springer Spaniel, and I swore I'd never own another pet when the first one died after ten years.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:21:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Just got a black Labrador Retriever pup a couple months ago. He turned 4 months old yesterday. He is great, but a handful. You have to take them out all of the time when they are young or they will pee on everything. They can't hold it. They also chew alot, as all pups will, so you have to constantly supervise them because they might chew something they are'nt supposed to, like an electrical cord. I need to walk my pup vigorously at least 3 times a day and play with him alot to get him tired enough to sleep through the night. It is a massive amount of responsibility and if you work long hours and are'nt home much, I would'nt recommend it right now. I work out of the house, so it works out for me. It is almost like another full time job. Good luck.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:23:44 PM EDT
[#16]
black labs are too full of energy and it hurts too much to loose one.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:31:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Dude, a dog is like a friggin' kid.  For the rest of the dog's life, you will have to factor it into your plans.  Think about it.  If you get a big dog, it's even worse...bigger piles of shit to worry about...they shed, and you'll *always* have to figure out what to do with it when you want to leave town.  You gonna want to say no to last minute fun stuff 'cos you can't take the dog with you?  

Read the first part of your post....you live in an APARTMENT.  

IIRC, you are in grad school AND have a job...so, exactly when do you figure on squeezing a dog into your schedule.

I hate to be negative, but I've seen way too many people get dogs, only to get rid of them 1 year later 'cos it's too big of a commitment.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:43:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Here are some thing to ponder, maintainance---- Most long haired dogs shed thier fur twice a year, can be a big mess. Some dogs require grooming, they need to get a hair cut about every two months. grooming costs? $20 to $40 or more. Go to the various web sites and see what the breeders say about the various breeds. It will open you eyes to what you will have to do for your pet. i have owned bloodhounds,low maintenance, lovable but they slobber/drule a lot. Cocker Spaniel, high maintenance. trimming, ear cleaning, etc. etc. but Very intelligent and lovable. German shepard, medium maitenance, but need lots of attention and exersize, like to bark a lot. LABRADOR RETRIEVER, my favorite, owned one in 1969-1977, another 1978-1987 and a new pup in 2005, low maintenance, will do what ever you want them to do, very willing to please, lovable and very intelligent. But like any breed, that is over bred, my son had one that was an idiot, had allergies, and was over-hyper. Go to a known breeder that has a reputation to uphold and pay up to $300 to $600 for a good dog.
I also have a Yorkie($500) for my wife. It has a heart of a great hunter and will hunt rabbits that are twice her size.( at 4 lbs she has never caught a rabbit cause she can't hang on when she gets a hold of them) She has rid my rural propety of many mice, moles, and gophers, and is very loyal and lovable. GOOD LUCK. below is my yorkie "TAZ" and yellow lab "Emily" about three weeks ago.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:45:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Black LAb
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:46:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Doberman Pinscher
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:48:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Akita
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:09:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Unless you have 24 hours a day to play with it, do NOT get a Husky.      
And thats all I have to say about that.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:11:18 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Doberman Pinscher

+1 they are great indoor dogs as they don't tolerate the extreme heat or cold.  They were designed to be mans accompanying guardian.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:16:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Dude, a dog is like a friggin' kid.  For the rest of the dog's life, you will have to factor it into your plans.  Think about it.  If you get a big dog, it's even worse...bigger piles of shit to worry about...they shed, and you'll *always* have to figure out what to do with it when you want to leave town.  You gonna want to say no to last minute fun stuff 'cos you can't take the dog with you?  

IIRC, you are in grad school AND have a job...so, exactly when do you figure on squeezing a dog into your schedule.

I hate to be negative, but I've seen way too many people get dogs, only to get rid of them 1 year later 'cos it's too big of a commitment.  

Hate to say it Chapper, but +1

You don't have time for a dog. And that's the one thing they need more than anything.

You need a doggie fix come down the road and visit mine!

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:23:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't have time for a dog. And that's the one thing they need more than anything.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=32917

Agree with you guys.  Get a cat.  They prettymuch take care of themselves.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:23:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Please don't get a dog.  You don't have the time for one.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:34:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
 Get a basset hound.  It takes them 8 hours to figure out you're gone.

Patty

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:34:56 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=32917

Good idea. I don't care for cats, but it seems like the perrrrfect pet for you.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:53:39 AM EDT
[#29]
ummmm.....  ok.  
A little clarification is needed I see.

I'm out of my apartment for about 4 hours a day from 7-11 at night. just school. no job. wierd schedule I know, but I've been briefed on this 'dogs need time' topic by my local dog enthusiast!  If that's too long, I can't imagine any schedule that can fit a dog!  Maybe once in a while I go into DC for lunch with a professor, but other than that I have my head deep in a book in my apartment.  Turns out these masters degrees involve reading every printed word since Guttenberg!

I don't travel.  I plan on going to NY about once every three months.  I drive there. And I know I've seen people with dogs on 95 before, it's only a three and a half hour trip.  HEck I make two stops WITHOUT a dog, I don't think a dog will have a problem with that.  I've driven my aunt's Mastiff from Phili to NY and besides for throwing up once she was calm and happy for the whole two hours.

And I have no idea how many times a day I'd have to take out a dog.  When I said " I'm active enough to take said dog out once or twice a day" I meant that I myself go out running or walking once or twice a day - Not that I only have time once or twice a day.  I literally have ALL day.  I live in a bunch of garden apartments with tons of huge lawns and tons of dogs.

I sincerely do appreciate your concern for the dog and I hope to become just like that.  I mean that.

Now onto breeds...........

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:31:43 AM EDT
[#30]
I have just the dog for you. She is a housebroken 2 yr old American Bulldog/Pitt mix. Loves people, housebroken, well socialized, not a bit aggressive. She sleeps in a crate and listens to commands well. She is in perfect health and has had basic obediance. Free to good home. My 1 yr old is not up to her affections. Her tongue is as big as he is. 2 big dogs is a bit much for one little man.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:40:55 AM EDT
[#31]
ok...  Here's my .02.

Avoid most terriers (esp. Jack Russells), they are extremely hyper and need alot of attention & exercise.

I have a boxer, but she is SO needy... she just wants loving all the time and she thinks she is a lapdog.  Wonderful girl, but a spaz for at least an hour after I get home.  Also very intolerant to heat/cold.

Sounds counterintuitive, but often bigger dogs are better in apartments than small dogs because they have a slower metabolism.  Mastiffs (believe or not) are very calm, mellow dogs.  But they eat like horses.

If you get a mutt from the pound, good for you..... but you have to be a gambler because a puppy might grow up to be a spastic terrier and a grown dog might already be a problem animal.

Finally, whatever dog you get, realize it will pee and poop everywhere for months, at least.  Also, it will chew everything in sight when it teethes.  You can train it to only chew its toys, but that takes time.

Also, remember many places require a pet deposit.

hmmm..... maybe you should get a cat.  haha

good luck!

ETA:  by the way, dawg_killer is a reference to coyote hunting, I'm a dog lover.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:00:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Get a Cat.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:05:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Labs, Border Collies, Goldan Retreivers etc, are WAY TOO high energy for appartment living where they can only be let out a couple times a day. Rotties are alot calmer (and my favorite) but still sounds like too much dog too little time.

I'd recommend a basset hound. Lazy mans dog, and a good companion. Little dogs never stop barking and most of them are like retarded 3 year olds on crack.

Look for a medium size dog that is NOT a hunting/working type dog.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:12:05 AM EDT
[#34]
I know a lot of people here will say "Lab, Golden Retriever, Shepherd, etc." but why not be different?  Do what my wife and I did and get a loyal, lovable, intelligent, courgeous dog who can also be trained for Agility trials if you ever wanted to:

Corgi

Cardigan Welsh has a tail, Pembroke is tail-less.

Do some Googling on the breed.  Compact (but NOT tiny), funny as hell, very intelligent, these little guys herd cattle and huge bulls in Wales.  Ours (before he died) was smart, occasionally stubborn, loveable, got along great with our cats, and could FLY when he ran - and turned on a dime when playing/herding other dogs.

True Breed Pics

Our little guy - he actually had some Sheltie in him - got him at the pound.  RIP, little guy.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:21:01 AM EDT
[#35]
PS - do NOT get any of the following breeds - not because they are ALL dangerous, but most home insurance companies and renter's insurance companies will NOT write you a policy if you own one.  Sure would suck to have a dog you love for a few years and then buy a house and not be able to get insurance:

Doberman, Akita, Siberian Husky, Pit Bull, Rottweiler, Great Dane, ChowChow, Dalmation, Miniature Pinscher, Alaskan Malamute.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:22:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Labs are great dogs and I love mine to death but they must be walked and they need attention.  My wife and I both had labs when we were in apartments but it sort of depends on where you live. If you are near some areas where you can walk them that is different from Manhattan or someplace.

I would lean toward a basset hound type of indoor smaller calmer type of dog.  I would look at getting a breed book from amazon or just check the library and do it that way. As with most posts like this, look in the mirror and find a dog for your lifestyle. All we can do is give you a best guess.  

DO NOT get a border collie for an apartment.   They need space and attention.  Bad apartment dog.

I am a fan of www.petfinder.org.  You can type in a breed and your zip code and see what is near where you live. Many are strays and cheap/free to a good home.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:34:28 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
PS - do NOT get any of the following breeds - not because they are ALL dangerous, but most home insurance companies and renter's insurance companies will NOT write you a policy if you own one.  Sure would suck to have a dog you love for a few years and then buy a house and not be able to get insurance:

Doberman, Akita, Siberian Husky, Pit Bull, Rottweiler, Great Dane, ChowChow, Dalmation, Miniature Pinscher, Alaskan Malamute.

Got to ask. Why these dogs?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:18:49 AM EDT
[#38]
 I'm a Dobe person, but if you are in an apartment I wouldnt suggest one to you.  
My second breed of choice is a Beagle.  When you get a beagle you get a big dog in a small package.  As long as you can take him out a couple times a day and give him some REAL exercise ( you mentioned you jog and were active so I'm assuming you could keep him from getting fat) he should be alright in an apartment setting.  No grooming, very little shedding,  they arent destructive, they wont eat you out of house and home, great personalities,  etc.

I think if I were in your situation I'd go for a Beagle.  No matter what breed you get though, just make sure you put the time into obedience training.   A little bit of time spent training them is a damn good investment that will make a HUGE difference during the whole dogs life with you.  A well behaved/obediant dog is welcome anywhere no matter what breed it is.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:30:58 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because when it comes to insurance and media perception, these dogs are the canine equivalent of "evil, black, assault rifles".    
 I have to keep the fact that I own a Doberman a secret from my insurance company because they would cancel my policy in a heartbeat if they knew about him.   Doesnt matter that he's passed every temperament test known to man, and is a certified therapy dog ( we do patient visits at hospitals and nursing homes), he's one of "those" breeds so he isnt safe to have in my home according to them.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:36:58 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Sounds counterintuitive, but often bigger dogs are better in apartments than small dogs because they have a slower metabolism.  Mastiffs (believe or not) are very calm, mellow dogs.  But they eat like horses.

Never thought I was a 'dog guy' till my aun'ts mastiff.  I feel a connection with her that is almost like a human.  If I could get a mastiff I would, but my apartment complex  has rules on size, like 25 or 30 pounds.  My aunts mastiff is pushing at least triple that easy!  I'm willing to break the rules here in terms of going over that limit, but can't be noticable.  My landlord told me they don't go around weighing your dog, only that the wieght limit is a guide to general size....  (also is extra deposit of a grand and 25$ more a month.  small price to pay for me to have a partner in crime!)

I'm playing aroudn on petfinder now
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:38:03 AM EDT
[#41]

CATS SUCK!!! might as well move to SF Bay and wear pink!

The only good cats are the ones in WI, and there is no bag limit
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:40:28 AM EDT
[#42]
How can anyone have a dog and live in apartment. I have a Collie retriever mix. Great dog. dog with kids. I am lucky enough to have a nice backyard so I dont have to chain him. But I do get him out for runs 4 days a week. Having a dog in an apartment has got to be tough.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:41:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:46:23 AM EDT
[#44]
I vote Labrador, but I  may be a bit biased.
Here's Bear, our newest addition.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:49:20 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
www.redcoat.net/pics/2hotdogs.jpg hr

Nice humiliation to those guys!
Look at thier faces, they are pissed!!!

It is funny as hell though
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:51:28 AM EDT
[#46]
a) I hate cats.

b) I see you guys aren't recommending Border collies? Most petfinder ads for them say that they are all housebroken and 'crate trained' (I'm assuming that means they are trained to 'go' inside their crate... Is that a good or bad thing?  ... does this mean they HAVE to sleep in a crate?), good with other dogs, calm inside but active outside, smart, alert.... they sound perfect.  Plus there are a million of them up for adoption near me
- heck there's one agency JUST for them here: www.petfinder.org/shelters/VA128.html
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:58:53 AM EDT
[#47]
I'm looking up different 'apartment breeds' and found one called a Shnoodle - great name. www.dogbreedinfo.com/schnoodle.htm

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:00:34 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
a) I hate cats.

b) I see you guys aren't recommending Border collies? Most petfinder ads for them say that they are all housebroken and 'crate trained' (I'm assuming that means they are trained to 'go' inside their crate... Is that a good or bad thing?  ... does this mean they HAVE to sleep in a crate?), good with other dogs, calm inside but active outside, smart, alert.... they sound perfect.  Plus there are a million of them up for adoption near me
- heck there's one agency JUST for them here: www.petfinder.org/shelters/VA128.html

a) Good man! wanna go to Wi. for cat season?

b.) If a pooch is "crate trained" it is good, get one just big enough he / she can turn around in.
they wont crap and pee where they sleep and it is "their turf".
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:08:03 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are considered bite risks and personal injury claim risks by most insurance companies.  I was an agent for 2.5 years, and we could not write any policies for people with these breeds of dogs.  Some companies also include German Shephards as well in this list.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:13:42 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I know a lot of people here will say "Lab, Golden Retriever, Shepherd, etc." but why not be different?  Do what my wife and I did and get a loyal, lovable, intelligent, courgeous dog who can also be trained for Agility trials if you ever wanted to:

Corgi

Cardigan Welsh has a tail, Pembroke is tail-less.

Do some Googling on the breed.  Compact (but NOT tiny), funny as hell, very intelligent, these little guys herd cattle and huge bulls in Wales.  Ours (before he died) was smart, occasionally stubborn, loveable, got along great with our cats, and could FLY when he ran - and turned on a dime when playing/herding other dogs.

I found a couple of those welsh corgi cardigans close by.....

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top