Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2005 5:51:19 PM EDT
What would one of these be worth? It has the fold down rear sight and a target style rear sight also. All original and in very good shape.

Thanks for the help. I'm thinking of buying it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:13:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Does it have the octagon barrel? Saddle ring carbine or Rifle?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:23:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Does it have the octagon barrel? Saddle ring carbine or Rifle?

Rifle and yes on the octagon barrel.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:33:13 PM EDT
[#3]
What's the serial number, I have a the list in front of me and might as well look up the manufacture date for you.

It could be worth from $350 to maybe $2000, maybe more if it's a saddle ring carbine.

serial numbers up to -   -- -                 manufacture date

183411         - -- -                               before 1900

586996           - -- -                            before 1910

906754             - -- -                           before 1920

1001324            - -- -                          before 1932
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:36:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like it has an aftermatket peep sight installed, that normally would clobber a lot of the collectors value, but a lot of  the cowboy shooters would bid a ridiculous price for these these days.

Check with some of the Cowboy Shooting Clubs in your area.  (BTW the peep (target?) sight would not be SASS legal so they would take it off.

The 92s are pretty desirable as they are a really sweet shooting gun.  BTW the Duke generally carried a 92 so it has some desirability there too.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:00:18 AM EDT
[#5]
The sights were probably sold with the rifle.  The tang sight is probably a Lyman #2 or similar, which were common on these old guns.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:05:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The sights were probably sold with the rifle.  The tang sight is probably a Lyman #2 or similar, which were common on these old guns.

Yep thats it. The serial # is 4 digits. The finish on the gun is a brownish color. I would say 90% maybe.

I can buy it for $750.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:09:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep thats it. The serial # is 4 digits. The finish on the gun is a brownish color. I would say 90% maybe.

I can buy it for $750.

Get it now!!!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:11:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can buy it for $750.

Get it now!!!

I was afraid to, I know nothing about EBR's . Evil brown rifles.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:21:44 AM EDT
[#9]
4 digit serial number is 1892 production.

Buy the gun as fast as you can get your money out, that's a $1400 to $1800 rifle in that condition.

Underestimate the condition for now, it's too easy to get caught up in the excitement of the find - sort of like eyeballing a rusted heap of auto parts and envisioning what it coould look like!

ETA

I missed the comment about the overall brown patina - it's not a 90% gun, it's probably closer to 50% to 70%, in which case it's worth $750, although the CAS shooters seem to like paying premium prices for these guns as pointed out above.  Buy it anyway if it's an otherwise sound gun.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:23:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Buy the gun as fast as you can get your money out, that's a $1400 to $1800 rifle in that condition.

Underestimate the condition for now, it's too easy to get caught up in the excitement of the find - sort of like eyeballing a rusted heap of auto parts and envisioning what it coould look like!

How fast could I move it? I would only buy it for resale. I'm not a collector.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:28:49 AM EDT
[#11]
see edit
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:29:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How fast could I move it? I would only buy it for resale. I'm not a collector.

Start Collecting Winchest Lever Guns then

I have a couple and they are really kind of cool pieces of American History
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:45:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Being a black powder era gun, how's the bore?

Pre-nickel steel barrels are pretty soft, so you'll want to stick to lead bullets. If the bore is rough you may have some accuracy issues.

Not trying to be a wet blanket, I love old Winchesters.

ETA: Nevermind, I just saw the part about resale. Thought you wanted a shooter.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:05:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Just my thought but I wouldn't sell it.  The old Winchester Lever Guns have some cool history to them.

Carbines are little more common then the riflles around here.

I wish I had a pic of the one I have, the rifle is up in North Dakota.
But it was made in 1896 and was used by a US Marshal up there. It even has a few notches in the forearm
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:49:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Check Leroy Merz website to see what stuff is going for.  The basic rule is a gun that is original in every way that has a good amount of BRIGHT original finish will bring about twice what the same original, mechanically sound gun that is brown or grey will bring.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top