Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2005 5:37:45 PM EDT
I was coming home tonight and there was two guys on the side of the road on rt 6 near Hawley Pa.
There was a male Black Bear about 200 lbs laying on the side of the road writhing in pain and breathing very heavy.
He was hit by a car and the two guys stopped and called the Pa. State Police out of blooming grove.
The officer stood 40 feet from the Bear and put one round from his M4 into his back.
Did nothing except put the Bear in more pain (obvious pain)
The second shot at the urging of the two guys was a head shot but missed the brain.

The Trooper says "He'll die in a minute or two" and gets in his cruiser and leaves.
One whole hour later and I arrive and ask if they need any help and see the bear in much pain and ask the guys if they called anyone, thats when they filled me in on the above story.
They said it's been an hour and I asked them if they had a gun I could use , they said a shot gun with # 4 bird shot, The first guy said he'll do it so he fired point blank into the top the Bears head and that finished what should have been finished an hour ago.

The fucking asshole trooper should have made sure the Bear was dead if he was going to attempt to euthanize it.
That Bear suffered for over an hour (with two extra bullet wounds) because of this guys ineptitude.  

(No I didn't have my carry with me because I was in jersey all day)

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:41:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:43:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I would file a complaint with his department about this.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:47:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Dumb, non-hunter question here:

What would be the proper way to euthanize a large animal in this situation?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:49:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

A shot to the brain, or to the heart and lungs. The important thing is to shoot it until it's dead, just to be sure.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:49:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

3 quick shots through the center of the skull will ensure it.  Although the first should do it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:51:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Asswipe!
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:51:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

What was done, a direct shot from almost any weapon into the top of the skull.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:33:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I have had to put deer down that were hit by cars as a part of work. I always put one .40 round into their eye from about 10 feet, so there would be no chance of the round bouncing off the skull. It has always worked, too, with instant death and no more suffering.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:25:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have had to put deer down that were hit by cars as a part of work. I always put one .40 round into their eye from about 10 feet, so there would be no chance of the round bouncing off the skull. It has always worked, too, with instant death and no more suffering.

.40 + Deer head shot = usually dead
.223 + 200 Bear not so sure
I think the Bear was already adrenalized from being hit by the car and the first .223 rd missed any vitals and the second rd missed the brain.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:33:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Sucks about the bear - the cop should have done much better. For that matter, the guys standing there could have done it before the cop even got there.

That said, this reminds me of the scene in Me, Myself, and Irene...
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:55:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Boy, you'd think with all that practice on dogs...

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:02:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Update

I just got in touch with the Blooming grove State Police barracks and talked with a Trooper Tomaine.
Instead of bitching and complaining about the situation last night I offered help in the form of collecting and printing anatomy charts of Deer And Coyotes and Black Bear showing kill shots.

Can anyone here help me find some of these?
I will print them and drop them off to the State police barracks and the Trooper said he will assist in distributing them to the other State Troopers and post them in the locker room too.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:09:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Can anyone here help me find some of these?

i think i used to have a book for the hunter's safety education course i took...  it showed the kill zones on a wide variety of animals.  but it was a while back, and i honestly don't know where it is now.  if i happen across it, i can probably scan some decent pictures...

or google is always good.  a quick search didn't turn up anything, but if you spend a few minutes looking, i'll bet you'd find something.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:16:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:20:40 AM EDT
[#15]
parma ohio, i frind of mine hit a dear.. its on the side of the road twitching.. the cops show up.. he helps drag it off the sidewalk, figuring they are going to drag it into the woods before shooting it..

they dont.. they drag it about 5ft, then the cop shoots the thing in the NECK!.. 2 or 3 times...

my buddy is just looking at the cop like "WTF... you want me to do that for you?"

asshats..
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:23:29 AM EDT
[#16]
how bout keep driving and mind your own business.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:23:47 AM EDT
[#17]
sounds like most of the cops I know, can't hit shit past the end of the barrel.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:24:54 AM EDT
[#18]
So, if these guys had a shotgun why didnt they do it themselves?  Yeah, the trooper sounds like a fuckup  ( and he is) but why arent you bitching about the two sheep standing there next to him also?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:25:41 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

That's right, keep your eyes straight ahead and do nothing....
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:26:48 AM EDT
[#20]
PDF file on exactly what your lookin for . sorry no chart

www.nbef.org/pdfs/bearshotplacement.pdf#search='anatomy%20of%20a%20black%20bear'

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:27:58 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

tannerite!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:28:08 AM EDT
[#22]
is bear meat good to eat? (is legal to hunt where i live). if so i would have finished the job somehow and taken it home to my freezer.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:30:11 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
is bear meat good to eat? (is legal to hunt where i live). if so i would have finished the job somehow and taken it home to my freezer.

Depends on the time of year. Most generally ppl dont eat the meat, if it is after they come out of hybernation than definetly not, they say it tastes very acidic
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:32:48 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Ummmm, are you a cop?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:38:35 AM EDT
[#25]
jrzy I knopw how you feel. Last deer season a guy shot a doe and the shot didn't kill her just paralised her, his lever action jammed up on him bad so he couldn't shoot her again. The idiot didn't have enough tags and so he asked us if we wanted her. We said sure. My buddy and I go down to where she is at and he decides to put on in her head. He did it from 20 feet away and missed. But thought he hit her. Now this was a .44mag wheel gun with 240gr HPs in it. I told him he missed and he was like no, no i didn't miss. I looked at him looked at the deer and said hell ya you did give me the gun. I walked right up to her and put one in her skull and she was gone immediatly. My buddy and the two other guys with us at the time all looked at me and said thats what ya get for being stupid. I was like WTF?? They clarified by pointing out the blood spatter and bain matter and the like on my pants So fucking what, they are hunting clothes. And they'll get just as dirty when we gut the deer too, my god I couldn't believe these guys were more worried about a little blood spater on thier clothes then making sure the animal wasn't suffering because of an already ill advised shot to begin with. If yer gunna do something, do it right or let someone who will do it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:01:27 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

WTF is your problem ?
I don't like seeing an animal in pain for no good God Damned reason.
I think after the stupid comment you just made.......never mind , you ain't worth my time.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:04:23 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
So, if these guys had a shotgun why didnt they do it themselves?  Yeah, the trooper sounds like a fuckup  ( and he is) but why arent you bitching about the two sheep standing there next to him also?

I asked them that and they said the fine is to big if a game warden showed up.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:13:15 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
PDF file on exactly what your lookin for . sorry no chart

www.nbef.org/pdfs/bearshotplacement.pdf#search='anatomy%20of%20a%20black%20bear'

Thanks!
That is exactly what we need.
jrzy
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:17:52 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
jrzy I knopw how you feel. Last deer season a guy shot a doe and the shot didn't kill her just paralised her, his lever action jammed up on him bad so he couldn't shoot her again. The idiot didn't have enough tags and so he asked us if we wanted her. We said sure. My buddy and I go down to where she is at and he decides to put on in her head. He did it from 20 feet away and missed. But thought he hit her. Now this was a .44mag wheel gun with 240gr HPs in it. I told him he missed and he was like no, no i didn't miss. I looked at him looked at the deer and said hell ya you did give me the gun. I walked right up to her and put one in her skull and she was gone immediatly. My buddy and the two other guys with us at the time all looked at me and said thats what ya get for being stupid. I was like WTF?? They clarified by pointing out the blood spatter and bain matter and the like on my pants So fucking what, they are hunting clothes. And they'll get just as dirty when we gut the deer too, my god I couldn't believe these guys were more worried about a little blood spater on thier clothes then making sure the animal wasn't suffering because of an already ill advised shot to begin with. If yer gunna do something, do it right or let someone who will do it.

ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY !
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:25:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Draw an X from the left ear to right eye, and right ear to left eye.  Shoot the center of the X and you'll hit the brain 99% of the time.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:32:39 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Draw an X from the left ear to right eye, and right ear to left eye.  Shoot the center of the X and you'll hit the brain 99% of the time.

Kharn

He would have bit me. LOL
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:37:02 AM EDT
[#32]
some would be amazed to see what goes on in rural areas of the US.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:39:18 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/zaq12wsx/hammer.jpg

That has a high failure rate...

... but has a high "grizzlt tale of death and black humor" rate
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:40:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Last deer season, dad and I ran into town for a couple of things.
I was driving over to Galyon's when I saw a cruiser stopped on the side of the road, and an officer in the road, then I noticed the buck that was trying with all of it's might to hobble a way.
It's hips were very obviously damaged. His rear legs kept splaying out from under him, kinda like Bambi on ice.
The officer just kept standing there watching the deer struggle.
To this day, I wonder what reaction I would have got if I'd offered the officer ear plugs as I slowly rolled by...

Some peoples children...
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:42:27 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A shot to the brain, or to the heart and lungs. The important thing is to shoot it until it's dead, just to be sure.

+1, brain shot (brain stem, to be specific) heart/lung takes longer to kill and the idea here is a quick death
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:45:26 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

How about we have enough head-in-the-sand ostriches in our society as it is?  How about it's time more of us were stand-up guys who were not afraid to involve themselves when needed?  

Keep driving and mind your own business could apply to you, and this thread, too, you know.  I suggest you heed your own advice next time you have something so counterproductive to say.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:48:47 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/zaq12wsx/hammer.jpg

That has a high failure rate...

... but has a high "grizzlt tale of death and black humor" rate

edited b/c someone got offended and im'ed me
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:14:20 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Kharn

He would have bit me. LOL

Well, imagine it if you have to.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:39:17 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
And they'll get just as dirty when we gut the deer too, my god I couldn't believe these guys were more worried about a little blood spater on thier clothes then making sure the animal wasn't suffering because of an already ill advised shot to begin with. If yer gunna do something, do it right or let someone who will do it.

+1

I shot a deer last year at about 250 yards and elevated too much.  I hit it in the spine instead of the vitals, and wounded the deer instead of killing it.  It wasn't going anywhere, but it was definitely still alive and suffering.  I walked to it, and shot it in the head with my .357 revolver to finish it off.  One of the guys I was hunting with was like "WTF" wondering why I shot it again.  I told him it had to be done to end the suffering.  I just wish I would have remembered to put ear plugs in.  A wheel gun .357 is LOUD.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:14:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Dear Town Official.

My young son and daughter watched as Tropper Smith shot Smokey the Bear.......
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:07:18 PM EDT
[#41]
I can't blame the two guys for not shooting the bear and putting it out if its misery. They were probably afraid of getting arrested for doing so. It isn't worth going to jail for.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:37:16 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Last deer season, dad and I ran into town for a couple of things.
I was driving over to Galyon's when I saw a cruiser stopped on the side of the road, and an officer in the road, then I noticed the buck that was trying with all of it's might to hobble a way.
It's hips were very obviously damaged. His rear legs kept splaying out from under him, kinda like Bambi on ice.
The officer just kept standing there watching the deer struggle.
To this day, I wonder what reaction I would have got if I'd offered the officer ear plugs as I slowly rolled by...

Some peoples children...

As a rational JBT who has to shoot injured deer often enough, It is common sense to let the audience (and potential victims of a freak accident) get the hell out of the way before I discharge a firearm.  I'm not going to get sued because some jackass caught a riccochet off the pavement into his forehead.  It's my job and I don't need you to approve of the way I do it.  Sometimes you can't shoot them; urban areas etc., long heavy crowbars are a handy substitute when discharging a firearm is too risky(you definitely don't want an audience for that one).  And no I don't leave them alive after I shoot them.  Shot one last night and today let another go that looked like it would survive.  (I'll keep tabs on it to be sure, not all car hit deer need to be killed, sometimes they're just bruised real bad)

Think before you rail on someguy out there.  And yes that's really bad about leaving a live injured bear on the side of  the road.  I would never do that 1. because the job isn't done and 2. the liability of some "good samaritan" trying to load the thing into his car to take it to the vet.  yes people are that stupid.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:57:47 PM EDT
[#43]
I didn't think I was railing on the officer.
The area had cleared, and there was a nice safe wooded area for backstop.
I'm sure liability was big concern.
I think that's the thing that bugs me most.
She couldn't put the animal down because some yuppie might bitch.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:07:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Reminds me of when I was in High School in Hawley.  One night, I was at my parents friends house, he happened to be the Ranger for the State Forest.  This Jack-Off  from Jersey-sorry Jrzy-he
We grabbed a couple of .22s to finish off the deer and started walking towards Rt 6.  When we got to Rt. 6 there was his Nissan Sentra totally smashed front end and blood everywhere.  We followed the blood trail into the woods.  It was about 2030 (8:30 pm) in January, so it was pretty dark out.  There we were following a blood trail him with a .22 pistol and me with a Marlin .22 bolt action.   We got about 20 yards off the road and we came to a rock cut out.  As we approached the cut out we heard a most frightening sound-the growl of a bear, a 300 lb black bear!  As we raised our flashlights to the bear, there it was sitting in the corner of the cut out all bloodied.  We might as well as had our dicks in our hands instead of .22s.  We both turned around and ran to his house to grab a bigger gun for the bear.  This bear was hurting so we knew we had to put it out of its misery.  

A 30-06 to the head and chest dispatched it quite quickly.  Game Commisioner was called and we got to split the meat.  Of course that was in the early 80's, now the Game Commisioner has to investigate and do a post mordum.  In about six months you may be able to get the carcass.

Geiger back to lurking sends
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Reminds me of when I was in High School in Hawley.  One night, I was at my parents friends house, he happened to be the Ranger for the State Forest.  This Jack-Off  from Jersey-sorry Jrzy- comes knocking on the door and says "I just hit the biggest f'n deer, it then ran off into the woods".

We grabbed a couple of .22s to finish off the deer and started walking towards Rt 6.  When we got to Rt. 6 there was his Nissan Sentra totally smashed front end and blood everywhere.  We followed the blood trail into the woods.  It was about 2030 (8:30 pm) in January, so it was pretty dark out.  There we were following a blood trail him with a .22 pistol and me with a Marlin .22 bolt action.   We got about 20 yards off the road and we came to a rock cut out.  As we approached the cut out we heard a most frightening sound-the growl of a bear, a 300 lb black bear!  As we raised our flashlights to the bear, there it was sitting in the corner of the cut out all bloodied.  We might as well as had our dicks in our hands instead of .22s.  We both turned around and ran to his house to grab a bigger gun for the bear.  This bear was hurting so we knew we had to put it out of its misery.  

A 30-06 to the head and chest dispatched it quite quickly.  Game Commisioner was called and we got to split the meat.  Of course that was in the early 80's, now the Game Commisioner has to investigate and do a post mordum.  In about six months you may be able to get the carcass.

Geiger back to lurking sends

I think you win the lurker award LOL
9 posts since 2002 I am honored that you posted on this thread, I'll read your next post in ........ a year or so? LOL
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:23:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I was coming home tonight and there was two guys on the side of the road on rt 6 near Hawley Pa.
There was a male Black Bear about 200 lbs laying on the side of the road writhing in pain and breathing very heavy.
He was hit by a car and the two guys stopped and called the Pa. State Police out of blooming grove.
The officer stood 40 feet from the Bear and put one round from his M4 into his back.
Did nothing except put the Bear in more pain (obvious pain)
The second shot at the urging of the two guys was a head shot but missed the brain.

The Trooper says "He'll die in a minute or two" and gets in his cruiser and leaves.
One whole hour later and I arrive and ask if they need any help and see the bear in much pain and ask the guys if they called anyone, thats when they filled me in on the above story.
They said it's been an hour and I asked them if they had a gun I could use , they said a shot gun with # 4 bird shot, The first guy said he'll do it so he fired point blank into the top the Bears head and that finished what should have been finished an hour ago.

The fucking asshole trooper should have made sure the Bear was dead if he was going to attempt to euthanize it.
That Bear suffered for over an hour (with two extra bullet wounds) because of this guys ineptitude.  

(No I didn't have my carry with me because I was in jersey all day)

DO NOT QUESTION THE POLICE!

THEY CAN DO NO WRONG!
TURN OVER YOU DAUGHTERS NOW PLEASE!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:51:49 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
That's just wrong.  Trooper should've finished the job.

I agree and for the life of me I can't see why he would leave like that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top