Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2005 4:43:54 PM EDT
this is a mobile replica of the H.L. Hunley a Confederate sub that was used during the Civil War circa 1864
it had a crew of 8 men and was powered with a hand crank.

side view of the Hunley

view from the rear

right side view with cut-away section to view interior of sub

explosive mine used by Hunley , they would ram the enemy ship with this 150 pound mine loaded with black powder.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:49:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting pictures.

(1) What city/state is this located?

(2) How is the explosive detonated?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:50:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice pics.  Good history lesson.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:57:11 PM EDT
[#3]
this was a mobile display I saw today in Sacramento, California.

the curator said that the submarine crew would ram the enemy ship with the explosive torpedo on the end of a pole and it would attach to the ships wooden hull , then the sub would dive to get away and pull a cable attached to the explosive , the cable spool on top of the sub would unwind until about 200 yards away then it would pull on a trigger device very similiar to a old flintlock rifle and detonate the mine.

sometimes the mine exploded before the submarine was a safe distance away and the sub could get damaged from the concusion.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:00:04 PM EDT
[#4]
What's the status of the REAL Hunley?

Will it be reconditioned and made fit for display, or is it too fragile?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:02:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What's the status of the REAL Hunley?

Will it be reconditioned and made fit for display, or is it too fragile?

I heard it's still under restoration, I think they will make a display and put in a museum
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:03:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool pics ....Thanks
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:32:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey I was there today too
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:38:35 PM EDT
[#8]
from a distance I first thought it was a Barbecue stand , I thought they were selling tri tip sandwiches or something
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:44:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Submerged in her new home—a state-of-the-art conservation lab on the old Charleston Navy Base—the Hunley is remarkably intact for an iron object that spent 136 years on the ocean floor. A grapefruit-size hole in the forward hatch tower may be battle damage, but a careful search for shards of glass and metal left by such a hit turned up nothing. The submarine’s hull bears two other gashes that could have caused fatal flooding, but the holes appear to have been made after the sinking, perhaps by anchors that snagged the wreck.

magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0207/feature5
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:58:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Very cool.

I got to walk around on a life size replica of the Pinta (or was it the Nina...Santa Maria maybe?) a few weeks ago, that was neat too. It's sailing all over the rivers of the U.S. right now giving tours at different towns it stops at.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:40:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
from a distance I first thought it was a Barbecue stand , I thought they were selling tri tip sandwiches or something

I saw it in Anaheim about a month and a half ago or so.  I had the same reaction at first until I got closer.    And then I got surprised, I hadn't seen any advertising for it and it was gone when I got off work and went back.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:44:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Interesting.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:49:22 PM EDT
[#13]
awesome!
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:07:44 PM EDT
[#14]
My aunt and uncle are buds with Clive Cussler who partialy funded the project from what I remember.  (They are into restoration of early autos and make loads of cash selling them)  Not sure how he got into the Hunley though.

Many of the replicas of the Hunley that were created before it was surfaced were incorrect.  I wonder if the one pictured is a copy of the actual sub and if it was made using the new-studied Hunley or from what historians could put on paper.

Either way a very cool look into early subs.  No way you could get me on that thing.

Edit: sorry my bad, Friends of the Hunley is on board the restoration and so this is a genuine copy.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:12:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
My aunt and uncle are buds with Clive Cussler who partialy funded the project from what I remember.  (They are into restoration of early autos and make loads of cash selling them)  Not sure how he got into the Hunley though.

Many of the replicas of the Hunley that were created before it was surfaced were incorrect.  I wonder if the one pictured is a copy of the actual sub and if it was made using the new-studied Hunley or from what historians could put on paper.

Either way a very cool look into early subs.  No way you could get me on that thing.

Edit: sorry my bad, Friends of the Hunley is on board the restoration and so this is a genuine copy.

I thought Cussler actually went out and searched for it, at least that is what is in his book, and one of his teams found it during thier shift.......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top