Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2005 4:32:43 PM EDT
www.copsplus.com/prodnum2262.php

Note those small, presumably torx or hex head screws/bolts?  Can I get some that are longer, for a VEPR project ?  Preferably online... I dont feel like driving 100 damn miles down to get a few 50 cent pieces and 100 miles back.  

Edit, its not a hex head bolt.  I also found a nutsandbolts.com.  Go Google.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:34:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:36:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Your site appears to be much easier to navigate than the one I found.  Thanks.

Whats the technical name for that style of bolt?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:41:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Im guessing something like allen head bolt.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:43:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:44:19 PM EDT
[#5]
K, thanks Brass.  That should give me a start...

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:48:10 PM EDT
[#6]
'tis a socket head cap screw...

Damn they got some goofy names for shit.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:48:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Take the mount and screws with you to Napa or Pep Boys, you might surprise yourself and find what you need.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Allen = hex shaped

Torx = star shaped

Almost all of the Ace Hardware stores around here have a very large selection of nuts, bolts, screws, etc.  I know that im my area, if I were to go there, I would not come back empty handed.  In fact, I would bet that I might even have my choice of stainless for a little bit more cash.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:03:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I think I will end up ordering the mount, then taking the bolts in with me to a hardware store at the next convenient date.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:06:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:36:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:21:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I think I will end up ordering the mount, then taking the bolts in with me to a hardware store at the next convenient date.  

I'm not sure if standard grade hardware store bolts are up to spec. That doesn't mean they won't work, but I would ask for hardened bolts if it's for a VEPR mount. Soft steel can break easily if you over-torque them, especially when we are talking about small diameter threads.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:30:29 PM EDT
[#13]
If it's a cap screw or Torx head screw it should be okay no matter where you get it. Unless you find some really cheap crap. Though there may be some very special applications that require something extra special.

Ichy, if you figure out what size you need give me a hollar. I can check the local hardware store and NAPA and if I find what you need I'll pick'em up and mail them to you.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:52:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Try www.McMasterCarr.com
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:43:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If it's a cap screw or Torx head screw it should be okay no matter where you get it. Unless you find some really cheap crap. Though there may be some very special applications that require something extra special.

Ichy, if you figure out what size you need give me a hollar. I can check the local hardware store and NAPA and if I find what you need I'll pick'em up and mail them to you.

Hey thanks man.

I think I'll order the mount and see how the stock bolts work... if I they don't I may mail them to you, and tell you how much longer they need to be.  Easiest solution, I should only be out pocket change and a small amount of postage.

Thanks to everyone else who has aided in the search..
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:06:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Sure thing.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:30:03 PM EDT
[#17]
You should be able to find longer screws at Lowes , tractor supply or hardware stores. As stated in one of the previous posts socket head cap screws, either allen or torx are usually grade 5 or better.
Also you don't have to use torx heads as allen heads will work fine securing that mount and they will be much easier to locate locally.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top