Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2005 4:16:10 PM EDT
I want to danate some $ for the animal rescue efforts, but I dont want to give $ to an organization that is actively  against legal hunting and/or second amendment rights.  Which animal organizations that are working in the disaster area would you be comfortable giving money to?  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:10:35 PM EDT
[#1]
bump, me too
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:16:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Tyson, Purdue,  Laura's Lean Beef Company, Dakota Beef....
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:17:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't donate to PETA, they like to put the animals down and illegally dispose of them in dumpsters...

Or is it SPCA...can't remember...
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:17:47 PM EDT
[#4]
None of them.

My sister gave some money to the HSUS after I told her not to.  She said she was able to specify that it went to the hurricane relief, but I call BS on that.

Don't give a single fucking penny to the HSUS.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:03:43 AM EDT
[#5]
anybody else have reliable information on these organizations????
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:05:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Petfinder has setup a method for donating funds for displaced dogs and cats as a result of Hurricane Katrina.

If you feel so inclined, please donate.

I did, because I know alot of the people were forced to leave their dogs and cats behind.

For alot of the members here, our pets are family, and I imagine for alot of the familes affected by this disaster losing their pet just adds to the grief. Alot of the organizations on the Petfinder site are hoping to reuinite owners with their pets once things start to settle down.

I guess what really gets me is that animals really are innocent. they have no choice in the matter.

Sure, there are plenty of innocent people that got caught up in that mess, but dogs especially rely on US for their welfare.

We domesticated them, and now they see us as their leaders. And in times like this it just tears me in two to see how we can leave our most loyal companions behind.

Thanks for the donations guys and girls, its a great cause.

U.S. Army Chief Warrant Officer Dan Langdon, of Bravo Company 2-4 Aviation, 4th Infantry Division out of Fort Hood, Texas, comforts a stray dog after landing his Chinook helicopter, Saturday, Sept. 4, 2005 in New Orleans. The Chinook crew is flying missions in support of relief efforts for Hurricane Katrina and was waiting to begin their next mission. (AP Photo/Haraz N. Ghanbari)

A dog tied to the railing of a highway ramp barks in a New Orleans street Saturday, six days after hurricane Katrina hit the city.(AFP/file/Nicholas Kamm)

A dog waits on the side roof of a house to be rescued by workers after Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans, Louisiana. Damage estimates have climbed into the billions of dollars, making Katrina one of the costliest storms ever to hit the United States.(AFP/Getty Images/Chris Graythen)

ETA I may be going to Baton Rouge later this week to document some of the animal relief work, (I'm in video).

Pfizer has donated millions of $$ in Vet medicine to the various animal shelters down there.

I also saw a video this morning on a family that was reunited with their Rottweiler...it was a tear jerker for sure.

Melvin Wheat, a captain with the Denham Springs, La., Fire Department, left, and John Jones of the New Orleans Harbor Police approach the dog, taking care that he is not aggressive. They are in the Industrial Canal in eastern New Orleans on Saturday, Sept. 10, 2005. (AP Photo/Ric Francis)

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:08:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
None of them.

My sister gave some money to the HSUS after I told her not to.  She said she was able to specify that it went to the hurricane relief, but I call BS on that.

Don't give a single fucking penny to the HSUS.

Don't lump them ALL together as they are different orgs and handle these kind of ops differently.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:09:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Donate to the North Shore Animal League

I volunteer for them and they are a strictly nonprofit organization that does great work.....They recently sent several teams down to NO to feed and rescue pets......
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:36:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Not only did the animals have "no choice" but SOME owners (owned? ) weren't either. They could have been better "stocked up" so staying WOULD have been an option. Still.... MOSTLY, like EVERYTHING else about this... it's the (local state AND fed) Government's fault!

I can't speak to the hunting/2nd Amend issues.... but I think these are good organizations Stoner's partner sent me this info in the last day or so.

Well the other day I heard a reporter on the news talk about the animals on top of cars and homes crying in hunger and pain so I decided to do a search to see if anyone is taking effort on their behalf and here are my results.............

www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-01,GGLD:en&q=katrina+animal+rescue

As looking through I wanted to find some organization that is doing direct work and sounded legitimate and found out rescue efforts are being coordinated by The Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry, I also found on the Louisiana State University School of Veterinary Medicine this information on how to help.  

Donations
Our greatest current need is monetary donations.

Donate funds online
The College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Missouri-Columbia has graciously provided a means of accepting online donations. When you click the link below, you will be taken to their web site, where they have a secure server for donations to the Spirit of Veterinary Medicine Hurricane Katrina Animal Relief Fund or the John D. Rhoades Veterinary Student Support Fund.
Click here to donate online
Donate funds by mail
The Louisiana Veterinary Medical Association will receive funds sent in through the mail.
Please make checks payable to

LVMA Dr. Walter J. Ernst Veterinary Memorial Foundation
(write "Katrina Fund" on the memo line)
and mail to:

LVMA
8550 United Plaza Blvd.
Suite 1001
Baton Rouge, LA  70809

Donating either through the link above or through the LVMA address ensures that funds will be immediately usable by the shelter for the animals' needs.

Donate material goods
Current needs at the Parker Coliseum Shelter:

Large towels (bath towel-sized or larger)

We now have most of the supplies for which we had immediate need. If you are interested in donating pet food or other animal care supplies, please check this web site again because our needs will change as time goes on. We will post our material needs as they arise.

For more information or to arrange donations of any materials listed above:
Please e-mail [email protected]
Please call toll-free (888) 773-6489 between 8:00 am and 6:00 pm CDT
(Saturday 8:00 am–1:00 pm and Sunday from 1:00 pm until 6 pm)
FAX (225) 237-5665

In Baton Rouge, donors of material goods may take them directly to the Coliseum. All others, please send material donations to this address:

Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry
Attn Mike Mills/Dr. Littlefield
5825 Florida Blvd.
Baton Rouge, LA 70806-4248
Contact phone: Shipping: 225-952-8164

Please pass this information to anyone you know who might be interested in helping.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:50:15 PM EDT
[#10]
animals?

replace the pet with another, you can't replace a human life.

my cat died, I replaced it. my dog died I replaced it. my brother died, I can't replace him.

foof 'em
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

What the fuck does that have to do with the question that was asked?  Idiot...
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:36:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
animals?

my cat died, I replaced it. my dog died I replaced it. my brother died, I can't replace him.

foof 'em

Oh, boo hoo.  My mother died last year, my best friend the year before that.  I can't replace them, either.  Are you so stupid as to think that the funds donated and efforts being made to rescue animals are being diverted from those available for rescue of people?  They're totally separate, and help for people is, frankly, abundant.

There are folks out there in that big wide world who see their companion animals as more than something to chain out in the yard as an early warning system, or a ratter in the barn.  Personally, I'd be no more likely to leave my dog to it's fate than I would leave my wife to hers.  They are my responsibility and I've taken steps to ensure their survival in a disaster.  Others didn't take those steps, and their animals could use some help.

The links given above contain useful information for donation of money and material to help take care of Katrina's other victims.  Also, the Houston SPCA is currently housing all of the animals from the New Orleans shelter and then some.

Alpine
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:06:57 PM EDT
[#13]
sorry if I offend...
to each their own.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
animals?

foof 'em

WTF does that have ANYTHING to do with the question at hand? You didn't offend me, it just shows everyone your character.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top