Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2005 4:10:30 PM EDT
Anyone try this set out?
boxedtvseries.com/gbox-nextgeneration1.htm

Warning says:  ATTENTION:  An overseas manufacturer has produced several hundred sets of Next Generation with some errors and have sold them to us cheap for liquidation, their mistakes mean big savings for you! There was a mistake in the manufacturer's mastering of the DVD's. This set is produced with four episodes that end short.  It was not discovered until it was to late. They are factory made, new in the box.

If thats the only thing wrong with them then that may not be to bad.  Seeing on how the whole set brand new elseware is just about $600

I don't understand why 24, the shield,the simpsons, Lost and other sets are like $40 and Star Trek is $110 a season.  I guess they know us geeks will pay it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:05:26 PM EDT
[#1]
bump
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I don't understand why 24, the shield,the simpsons, Lost and other sets are like $40 and Star Trek is $110 a season.  I guess they know us geeks will pay it.

Paramount is squeezing every last ¢ they can out of a rotten turnip.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:22:56 PM EDT
[#3]

I don't understand why 24, the shield,the simpsons, Lost and other sets are like $40 and Star Trek is $110 a season. I guess they know us geeks will pay it.

Worst thing about it is there probably isn't any commentary, deleted scenes, or other goodies that could make the series worth more, and you're most likely going to find it on the other mentioned boxed sets.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:48:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Paramount is squeezing every last ¢ they can out of a rotten turnip.

Yep, it's all about licensing.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:51:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:08:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm a video store manager, I get these at cost. Would you like me to A: tell you what distributors are actually charging for this, B: get you one for very little over cost? Lemme know. Movies aren't bad usually, WalMart often sells new releases for cheaper than I can buy them, bot the markup on box sets in stores is just ridiculous, often just short of 100%, meaning I can get them for just over half the suggester retail price. Lemme know.
BTW, the site you're looking at is selling foriegn product that likely will not work with a region 1 dvd player or your NTSC type video equipment, TV, reciever, whatever. Also, you may get foreign language menus, package art, etc. Great way to get them cheap, but you may need some equipment you don't have and get miss out on some content/special features/booklet that comes with the US, region 1, NTSC version. Choose wisely.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:36:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I have several seasons of 'The Next Generation' on DVD.  My wife thought she was getting a deal and ordered on of the asian import for my Christmas present.  The last episode of every disk was unwatchable.  She was imbarressed and upset about it but we went ahead and purchased the real US version of that season so we could sit down and watch it in piece.

As for why it cost more, I figure it is because it cost more to make and you are getting a lot more viewing time with Star Trek.  Talking 45min episodes vs the 20 min episodes found on the Simpsons and Seinfield.

BTW, she did not know she was getting the import version at the time.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top