Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2005 3:03:26 PM EDT

I can't afford a $600 safe right now but I felt vulnerable not having anything to lock my stuff up in.  

Sooo I have been told that those little cylinder locks spring very easily so I made some mods to the Box.  I am going to put on more hasp on the door and possibly one more on the other side just to help prevent prying.  I live on a second story apartment and have to limit how much weight I have on the floor so I figured this was a decent compromise tell me what you think.

I also bolted it to the wall
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:07:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Child proof, but that ain't going to slow down an experienced burglar much.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:10:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I just figured it was better than nothing
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:11:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I just figured it was better than nothing

It is... probably stop the average crack/meth head or punk kid... Which accounts for most break-ins.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#4]
That will keep all kids out. And it will stop the druggie meth head theif, the first time he breaks in to your home. He will come with the tools needed to get into it or to take it the second time, so move it if you get robbed once. It won't stop a pro at all, but nothing will so your in good shape IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:32:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Cylinder locks-
Openable with a bic pen.

Majority of Padlocks-
Openable with any set of bolt cutters.  I perfer the padlocks that have a large metal shrouded shackle on them.  Granted a good theif will still get in there.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:32:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Put it inside a closet and deadbolt the closet door.  Put bags of lead shot in the bottum to make it harder to carry away.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:36:23 PM EDT
[#7]
The lock on this thing doesn't actually have a round key.  It has a regular padlock style key.  How could you open that with a bic pen?  Anyways something is better than nothing.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:40:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The lock on this thing doesn't actually have a round key.  It has a regular padlock style key.  How could you open that with a bic pen?  Anyways something is better than nothing.

Ah. No, the way you described it made me think it was one of those round key locks that you see on so many bicycle locks.  A bic pen is about the same diameter as the key/hole and can trip all the tumblers on those.

EDIT:
Video of it being done.

And agreed with RiftWeaver sentiments below.  It's better then not having it.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:40:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Get what ya can, when ya can.    It's better than what you had a week ago, right?  And you are trying to think ahead by bolting the thing down and adding the additional locks.  Nice work!
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:58:11 PM EDT
[#10]
linky no worky
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:03:53 PM EDT
[#11]
worked fine for me.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:11:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
linky no worky

Try clicking the video through HERE.  If that doesn't work the problem is probably on your side.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:13:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah. No, the way you described it made me think it was one of those round key locks that you see on so many bicycle locks.  A bic pen is about the same diameter as the key/hole and can trip all the tumblers on those.

EDIT:
Video of it being done.

And agreed with RiftWeaver sentiments below.  It's better then not having it.

I tried to unlock my Kryptonite lock just like the video.  I could not get it to unlock with a pen or a .38 casing.  It cut into the brass.  Hopefully, this means atleast Kryptonite fixed their locks to prevent this Bic key from working.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top