Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2005 1:31:51 PM EDT
My reply from another post:

It has been said that if the NRA just had more members, they would be more effective, but acknowleged that the ACLU is so effective.

From the ACLU website:

"The ACLU was founded by Roger Baldwin, Crystal Eastman, Albert DeSilver and others in 1920. We are nonprofit and nonpartisan and have grown from a roomful of civil liberties activists to an organization of more than 400,000 members and supporters. We handle nearly 6,000 court cases annually from our offices in almost every state."

Why can't the NRA with 10 times the members start a court case whenever some govermental entity enfringes the 2nd admendment, like the ACLU does when they feel anyone does on the other 9?

The NRA has around 4 mil. members and who knows how many "supporters". Why aren't they litagating like the ACLU?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:34:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Because they are waiting for "any activity by the government that unduly infringes upon the rights of lawful gun owners" before they act  react  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:38:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Because they are waiting for "any activity by the government that unduly infringes upon the rights of lawful gun owners" before they act  react  

The ACLU is run by hardcore lefties they either are against or ignore the 2nd ammendment.  The NRA spends most of our money trying to solicit more money.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:39:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Thats a good question.

and people often wonder what the NRA is doing. Their show of inaction(or lack of publicized action) will eventually bite them in the ass when another incident like New Orleans happenes again.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:40:50 PM EDT
[#4]
David, that is a excellent question.........OK, all your NRA kool-aide drinkers care to chime in, and exsplain why they don't?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:46:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok all you NRA bashers now many lawsuits does the NRA currently have open to protect gun rights?  Obviously since you are bashing the NRA you know the answer...so please tell us.

The NRA does defend the 2nd the same way the ACLU does the others the only reason you think they don't is the liberal media loves to get the ACLU press anytime they want...just like the anti-gunners get, at the same time they never talk about what the NRA is doing and if they happen to have a story it always portrays guns in a bad light.

So NRA bashers what is your solution?  Disband the NRA and let everyone fend for themselves?  Until you offer a viable soluation to your own question, STFU.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:47:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
David, that is a excellent question.........OK, all your NRA kool-aide drinkers care to chime in, and exsplain why they don't?

Any actual NRA officials on site or is this on the "Extremists lists"?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:51:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ok all you NRA bashers now many lawsuits does the NRA currently have open to protect gun rights?  Obviously since you are bashing the NRA you know the answer...so please tell us.

The NRA does defend the 2nd the same way the ACLU does the others the only reason you think they don't is the liberal media loves to get the ACLU press anytime they want...just like the anti-gunners get, at the same time they never talk about what the NRA is doing and if they happen to have a story it always portrays guns in a bad light.

So NRA bashers what is your solution?  Disband the NRA and let everyone fend for themselves?  Until you offer a viable soluation to your own question, STFU.

Unless you are reading a different post NO ONE said ANYTHING in this one about disbanding it.

I AM an NRA member and I am VERY dissaponted about their inaction on NO. If they do NOTHING they will not see another dime of my money, the LEAST they can do is speak out against these actions and they have NOT said a WORD.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:52:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:18:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

well since you are so keen about the NRA.........you tell us, go ahead prove us all wrong, here is your big chance to tell us we are all wrong, and you are right......cite the court cases that the NRA is actively filed or is fighting in a court,  it shouldn't be that hard, should it?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:02:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

well since you are so keen about the NRA.........you tell us, go ahead prove us all wrong, here is your big chance to tell us we are all wrong, and you are right......cite the court cases that the NRA is actively filed or is fighting in a court,  it shouldn't be that hard, should it?

+2 (I am a Member but I gotta say it seems as if most of the money goes for mailings, I get several a week sometimes. All fear mongering, gonna ban this, gonna ban that, Hillary this, Hillary that. What I do not see is what actions are being taken. Thats all I frikkin ask for, some heads up on what course of action is being used. I never hear crap on that part, only "we need money to do something." I am at the point of "No more money TIL you do something." They have become PC in their own way.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:17:31 PM EDT
[#11]
the aclu can lie and the media will back them up.  the nra can tell the truth and the media will twist it to make gun owners look like domestic terrorists.  the liberal establisment would also like gun owners to believe that the nra is ineffective and undeserving of support.  they would like the only effective lobbing organization for gun owners to go away so they can have their way with the constitution.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:38:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Because the NRA is spending its money printing dictionaries so it can help stamp out illiteracy.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:42:26 PM EDT
[#13]
You see the answer to that every day on this site.

The difference is the vision of their respective members and supporters.

As a result, the ACLU operates strategically while the NRA operates tactically.

That is, the ACLU carefully selects its test cases.  This can include selecting cases that will go before friendly judges.  The ACLU often moves slowly and incrementally.  Sometimes they won’t take a case simply to avoid the risk of a bad precedent if they lose.

And its members accept this approach.

OTOH, most NRA members (and non-member gun owners) would never accept that approach.  They want instant gratification (and they want it now!! ).  If the current NRA leadership won’t fight every battle every time, the NRA leaders stand a good chance of losing their jobs (and, upon occasion, they have).

They are expected to pick battles simply to fight them instead of to win them.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:52:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Just food for thought, but the NRA can't get too strong in relation to the grabbers.  Taking guns and defending the 2nd is big business for these status quo corporate organizations.

If the NRA won the fight once and for all, what would happen to the mailers soliciting more and more money?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:55:39 PM EDT
[#15]
When I have a legal full auto M-16, AK-47, MP-5 or whatever I want to buy as far as firearms are concerned in my safe, then I'll believe the NRA hype. In case nobody realizes, our 2nd Amendment rights are being infringed at this very second and the NRA is where? Give me a reason to join, tell me they're going after the unconstitutional bans and I'll give them as much money as I can afford.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:00:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Im betting none of you ever write you reps
christ  you are as bad as the " victims" of the hurricaine
whos gonna fight for me? Get up off your ass
Heres the  links if you are too fucking lazy to write a 100 word letter
than you are hopeless

THE HOUSE

THE SENATE
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:39:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I believe the ACLU is funded by the Federal Government.
No money worries.  

DanM
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:53:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:53:39 PM EDT
[#20]
I think 199 came very close to the real reason.  The NRA has a lot to loose if it looses a case; our gun rights!  It has to be very careful about fighting bad cases.  The Gov. likes to find those cases to keep pushing it's cause.  Look how they've conducted the "War on Drugs".  A little at a time and against the really bad people.  Then the fix is in for the not so bad people to be treated the same.  What does the ACLU loose when it looses?  

I wish the NRA would be more agressive but there aren't that many judges out there that can be counted on to back up the gun owners and it usually isn't a case of an otherwise lawabiding gun owner simply sitting at home and the cops breaking down the door over pre/post ban type laws.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:04:56 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
the aclu can lie and the media will back them up.  the nra can tell the truth and the media will twist it to make gun owners look like domestic terrorists.  <snip>

Yep.

Like or not, we must tread lightly usually. In this case I'd like to see some ass kicking though. It is, after all, fundamental.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:10:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#23]
It's amazing that the ACLU hasn't come to the aid of
the NO residents whos firearms are being confiscated,
and forcibly relocated.  Commie Fucks ACLU is in
dire need of a restructuring, and/or dissolusion.

myit
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:12:19 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
the aclu can lie and the media will back them up.  the nra can tell the truth and the media will twist it to make gun owners look like domestic terrorists.  <snip>

Yep.

Like or not, we must tread lightly usually. In this case I'd like to see some ass kicking though. It is, after all, fundamental.

One other thing, the NRA does not charge in unless they know they can win.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:14:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Actually, the NRA has been pretty vocal about supporting the first amendment.

And just about the only thing I've seen the ACLU get bothered about is when someone dares to put anything of a religious nature anywhere anyone else can see it, or when anarchists cause a disturbance.

you won't see the ACLU going to bat over the 9th or 10th amendments, thats for sure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top