Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2005 1:07:13 PM EDT
from dirt? I've got a small sifter but at this rate I'll be done 2 years from now. Basically I want to seed my back yard and grow some grass but I've got a zillion small rocks in the dirt. I've afraid that if I seed now the grass will be real patchy because of the rocks.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:11:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Why, yes!

The guy that built my motorcycle had a pretty nifty contraption he put together. It was an old oil drum that he cut "windows" in, and then covered in wire mesh. The drum was mounted sideways in an engine stand, and connected to an electric motor. All you had to do was turn it on, shovel dirt into it, and dump the rocks out every now and then. Genius!

Think of it like a portable cement mixer, with mesh on the sides.

ETA: Where do you live in California? If you live anywhere near Modesto, I could arrange for you to go look at it.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:12:42 PM EDT
[#2]
We have a lot of glacial till and used rakes, or bare hands which seemed to work pretty well
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:19:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Why, yes!

The guy that built my motorcycle had a pretty nifty contraption he put together. It was an old oil drum that he cut "windows" in, and then covered in wire mesh. The drum was mounted sideways in an engine stand, and connected to an electric motor. All you had to do was turn it on, shovel dirt into it, and dump the rocks out every now and then. Genius!

Think of it like a portable cement mixer, with mesh on the sides.

ETA: Where do you live in California? If you live anywhere near Modesto, I could arrange for you to go look at it.

Fairly accurate description os a trommel

SRM
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:50:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 17 yo son who likes it when I take him shooting ... I don't sift topsoil or cut grass or shovel snow, you get the drift

I like the rotating drum idea though.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:21:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have a 17 yo son who likes it when I take him shooting ... I don't sift topsoil or cut grass or shovel snow, you get the drift

My son loves it when I take him shooting too but he's only 4 I'm tempted to just take the bobcat and dig it all out and just bring in clean fill dirt
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:32:58 PM EDT
[#6]
drive a riding lawnmower over it with the blade spitting debris out toward a house window.

seems to work when there's only one rock, so i assume it 'd work for many.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:20:55 AM EDT
[#7]
build a frame out of 2x4's, line with mesh of appropriate size, prop up one end, and shovel. See the square foot gardener for more info.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:30:23 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My son loves it when I take him shooting too but he's only 4 I'm tempted to just take the bobcat and dig it all out and just bring in clean fill dirt

That would be my choice.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:40:05 AM EDT
[#9]
You may be able to use a Bobcat with a landscape rake attachment.  They work well as long as the rocks aren't very round as they tend to get wedged between the rake tines.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:46:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Tannerite, applied liberially(haha get it?), it's the only way to be sure!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:23:23 AM EDT
[#11]
 Have you considered doing sod?   More expensive,yes, but you would much happier with the results.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:26:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:05:15 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
 Have you considered doing sod?   More expensive,yes, but you would much happier with the results.

Yes I have, I'd love to do sod. Can I lay it down over crappy dirt though?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top