Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2005 6:26:32 AM EDT
cruised over to www.nra.org to see if there was any type of pro-2nd statement, etc concerning the goings-on in NO, and this was the ONLY thing that  I could find anywhere on their website.........

www.nraila.org/News/Read/InTheNews.aspx?ID=6457

New Orleans Begins Confiscating Firearms

Police officers have begun confiscating firearms from civilians in preparation for a mass forced evacuation of the residents still living here. P. Edwin Compass, III, the superintendent of police, said: "Only law enforcement are allowed to have weapons," he said.

Read About It: New York Times

POSTED: 9/9/2005

Is it me, or is something very wrong with this? Would it be too much for them to at least make a 2 or 3 line statement?

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:31:08 AM EDT
[#1]
The NRA is waiting for  "any activity by the government that unduly infringes upon the rights of lawful gun owners" and I guess Confiscation isnt enough infringement for them to do anything
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:11:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Would a written statement or press release be too much to ask?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:17:54 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

NRA-ILA COMMENTS ON SITUATION IN NEW ORLEANS

Numerous media sources are reporting on a campaign by New Orleans city authorities to confiscate lawfully-owned firearms from people in the city. Louisiana statute does grant the government, during a state of emergency, broad powers in regulating and controlling firearms.

However, we have seen not just with Hurricane Katrina, but other similar situations, that when police are unable to control the criminal element, people turn to the one freedom that protects all others--the Second Amendment.

While one can certainly understand the dire predicaments of all those affected by Hurricane Katrina, as we have learned throughout history, campaigns to disarm the lawful do nothing to disarm the criminal. And in truth, these restrictions make citizens less safe. Despite the valiant efforts of many law enforcement officers and rescue workers, too many of those left in the wake of Katrina are ultimately responsible for their own security and safety and that of their families and loved ones. This is especially true when communication is virtually non-existent and police can't be quickly summoned to respond to calls for help. At these times, lawful gun ownership is paramount to personal safety.

Of course, the entire situation in New Orleans is constantly in flux. But rest assured NRA is monitoring this situation very closely and will address any activity by the government that unduly infringes upon the rights of lawful gun owners at the appropriate time. As we learn more, we will report to our members accordingly. In the interim, however, we join with all Americans in offering our thoughts, prayers, and assistance to the victims and survivors of this terrible natural disaster.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:18:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I give up. Just quit donating to the NRA because they don't do anything at all for gun owners. Give them some time to get all the facts and act appropriately.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:20:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NRA-ILA COMMENTS ON SITUATION IN NEW ORLEANS

Numerous media sources are reporting on a campaign by New Orleans city authorities to confiscate lawfully-owned firearms from people in the city. Louisiana statute does grant the government, during a state of emergency, broad powers in regulating and controlling firearms.

However, we have seen not just with Hurricane Katrina, but other similar situations, that when police are unable to control the criminal element, people turn to the one freedom that protects all others--the Second Amendment.

While one can certainly understand the dire predicaments of all those affected by Hurricane Katrina, as we have learned throughout history, campaigns to disarm the lawful do nothing to disarm the criminal. And in truth, these restrictions make citizens less safe. Despite the valiant efforts of many law enforcement officers and rescue workers, too many of those left in the wake of Katrina are ultimately responsible for their own security and safety and that of their families and loved ones. This is especially true when communication is virtually non-existent and police can't be quickly summoned to respond to calls for help. At these times, lawful gun ownership is paramount to personal safety.

Of course, the entire situation in New Orleans is constantly in flux. But rest assured NRA is monitoring this situation very closely and will address any activity by the government that unduly infringes upon the rights of lawful gun owners request donations from members at the appropriate time. As we learn more, we will report to our members accordingly. In the interim, however, we join with all Americans in offering our thoughts, prayers, and assistance to the victims and survivors of this terrible natural disaster.

Fixed it for you.

I was hoping for something national that actually had some teeth to it. Enough with this passive 'monitoring' crap.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:23:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I give up. Just quit donating to the NRA because they don't do anything at all for gun owners. Give them some time to get all the facts and act appropriately.

Just venting man. I had hoped for something that actually represents what they say they stand for. I view their complacency as almost unofficially condoning what is going on.

What more do they need to 'monitor' to at least make a statement that says that a Constitutional GUARANTEE is being trampled in the name of 'safety'.

Step out on the limb damnit. That is where the fruit is.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:28:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

In the mean time, Go ahead and keep your mouth shut about illegal acts on the citizens of the country, and let the crimes continue...

<---- VERY PISS'D OFF LIFE MEMBER.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:44:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just venting man. I had hoped for something that actually represents what they say they stand for. I view their complacency as almost unofficially condoning what is going on.

What more do they need to 'monitor' to at least make a statement that says that a Constitutional GUARANTEE is being trampled in the name of 'safety'.

The fruitcakes are out on the limb and apparently here too.  WTF is the NRA supposed to do?  All we have are "media reports" of guns being taken.  Do you for a fact that guns were actually taken from people?  Or did the cops just take the guns they found laying around so the looters wouldn't have them to shoot at them.  If people did get the guns taken away do you know for a fact they were not looters, that they had no criminal records?  Obviously everyone here has all the facts.  If you know so damn much why don't you file your own lawsuit to get an injunction?  You are all obviously much better and smarter than the NRA so why not get off your asses, talk to a lawyer, and "fix" the problem.  Or isn't it just that easy?  The NRA is looking into it and have said they don't approve of it.  Without absolute facts what else can the NRA do?  Seriously, since you all have the answers what exactly is the NRA supposed to do without any proven facts?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:49:02 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
...Do you for a fact that guns were actually taken from people?  Or did the cops just take the guns they found laying around so the looters wouldn't have them to shoot at them.  If people did get the guns taken away do you know for a fact they were not looters, that they had no criminal records? ...

media.putfile.com/NewOrleansGunConfiscationSmall
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:49:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Just remeber,

this woman CAN have a rifle

but, right now in part of America, this man CAN'T

That is NOT the America that I was born to love and cherish. It is NOT the America that I am willing to tolerate. And, the group who said they would fight for our rights is SILENT.

Don't get me wrong. I am still pro-NRA (what else are you going to do). I just feel extremely let down and right now.

At least make some sound byte or something. Otherwise, it is just fuel to the fire. I said it before, and I will say it again, their silence is the same as condoning what is happening in my book.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:51:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In the mean time, Go ahead and keep your mouth shut about illegal acts on the citizens of the country, and let the crimes continue...

<---- VERY PISS'D OFF LIFE MEMBER.

This thread wasn't about me or individuals. I'm just saying give the NRA a chance to do something before you condemn them. I'm personally willing to do whatever is necessary to uphold the constitution, so no need to worry about me.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:52:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Give them a chance to go to their congress critters and work this.......
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:55:46 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

but, right now in part of America, this man CAN'T

cache.gettyimages.com/comp/55327739.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=E2399169AC85D6DEAB4A0FD61CB70F59981AFE9888BD7543621B2AC3A62513D3

That is NOT the America that I was born to love and cherish. It is NOT the America that I am willing to tolerate. And, the group who said they would fight for our rights is SILENT.

Don't get me wrong. I am still pro-NRA (what else are you going to do). I just feel extremely let down and right now.

At least make some sound byte or something. Otherwise, it is just fuel to the fire. I said it before, and I will say it again, their silence is the same as condoning what is happening in my book.

What's the story behind the picture?  Link?  I hope your aren't making shit up.  Is the NG confiscating weapons now?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:56:40 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The fruitcakes are out on the limb and apparently here too.  WTF is the NRA supposed to do?  All we have are "media reports" of guns being taken.  Do you for a fact that guns were actually taken from people?  Or did the cops just take the guns they found laying around so the looters wouldn't have them to shoot at them.  If people did get the guns taken away do you know for a fact they were not looters, that they had no criminal records?  Obviously everyone here has all the facts.  If you know so damn much why don't you file your own lawsuit to get an injunction?  You are all obviously much better and smarter than the NRA so why not get off your asses, talk to a lawyer, and "fix" the problem.  Or isn't it just that easy?  The NRA is looking into it and have said they don't approve of it.  Without absolute facts what else can the NRA do?  Seriously, since you all have the answers what exactly is the NRA supposed to do without any proven facts?

I don't need to wait around for the confiscation to begin. The order alone was ILLEGAL and should have IMMEDIATELY drawn some type of reaction from an organization who takes membership money in return for the promise to support our RIGHTS.

That is enough 'facts' for me.

Pacificst.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:04:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

What's the story behind the picture?  Link?  I hope your aren't making shit up.  Is the NG confiscating weapons now?

Yeah, my tinfoil is on too tight and I made all this up in my neo-con fantasy/horrow show warpped utopian mind of Life, Libery, and the pursuit of happiness.

What part of this don't you guys get?

media.putfile.com/NewOrleansGunConfiscationSmall

Government gave an UNLAWFUL order to disarm citizens of this country. Now, armed troops, police, and, worse, private contractors, are 'drawing down' on US CITIZENS in their own homes, handcuffing them, and CONFISCATING their weapons, all in the name of 'SAFETY'.

WTF over?

How are you going to protect life and property? You think the gubernment will take care of you.

And you guys think the NRA needs time.

I'll give them time to sort it out.

But they could at least make a F*&^%#$% STATEMENT in the meantime.

The order alone should have been enough to elicit some type response. Don't you think?

How many sheeple you think are sitting around right now thinking the government has a RIGHT to do this? If nothing else, I would like to hear someone point out the fact that this is against the US CONSTITUTION and WAY OUT OF LINE.

Maybe it would be a different story if it were you that it was happening to.

I will go back to making shit up now.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:20:59 AM EDT
[#16]
But WAIT!!!!

Red65 will call you a parasite for not blindly following the NRA and giving every bit of cash you have to thier cause..... He'll insult you into joining them!

It's funny that the largest pro gun group would be deadly silent on this subject.

I guess it's not enough to be documented by multiple news agencies (even if they do lie most of the time) and several video tapes, including one NG trooper that freely admits what he is doing.... As well as the order given on tape, by the head of the police forces in NO. Not sure how much "evidence" we need to be spurred into action.

Guys, our worst fear is coming to light and some of us, even though overwhelmed by clear evidence, are still denying that it is happening.

I don't understand it. This should be a rallying cry for all freedom loving peoples.

What the hell is wrong with us?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:29:35 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Government gave an UNLAWFUL order to disarm citizens of this country. Now, armed troops, police, and, worse, private contractors, are 'drawing down' on US CITIZENS in their own homes, handcuffing them, and CONFISCATING their weapons, all in the name of 'SAFETY'.

WTF over?

How are you going to protect life and property? You think the gubernment will take care of you.

And you guys think the NRA needs time.

I'll give them time to sort it out.

But they could at least make a F*&^%#$% STATEMENT in the meantime.

The order alone should have been enough to elicit some type response. Don't you think?

How many sheeple you think are sitting around right now thinking the government has a RIGHT to do this? If nothing else, I would like to hear someone point out the fact that this is against the US CONSTITUTION and WAY OUT OF LINE.

Maybe it would be a different story if it were you that it was happening to.

I will go back to making shit up now.

Could have not said it better brother....

This week has been a even bigger wake up then 9/11 for me...

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:04:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Hypothetically, if the NRA had the ability to, once and for all, establish that the RKBA is absolute and inviolate, do you believe they would actually do so?

How many memberships, how much money, how much power would they lose?  The NRA bureaucrats need for this issue to never go away, or they will lose their livelihood.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:12:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Hypothetically, if the NRA had the ability to, once and for all, establish that the RKBA is absolute and inviolate, do you believe they would actually do so?

How many memberships, how much money, how much power would they lose?  The NRA bureaucrats need for this issue to never go away, or they will lose their livelihood.

OUCH! Well put.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top