Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2005 5:15:05 AM EDT
anyone have one?

tell me what you think.

good single lense you'd recommend?

or combinatin of two?

I'm seriously considering this camera, don't want to make any mistakes with that kind of money.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:15:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:29:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I gots one and it be awesome.

You can get one on sale through Dell right now body only for less then $650.  I dont have the codes anymore..  You can also get the 17-85mm lens for $420.  This is a good single lens for regular peeps.  If you are a pro you will need much more then this.  

For the lens use these codes.

W$Q7L298N206BK
83FF18TZXQ30W9

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:31:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't have that camera---bought the 20D instead.  I understand it's a good camera, but it's too damn small to be comfortable for me.  
As for lenses, that ENTIRELY depends on how much you want to spend.  If you're a beginner, you might want to try the 18-55 kit lens...it's good for a starter lens until your skills improve to the point where you notice its limitations.  DEFINITELY get the 50mm f1.8...you can order it for under a hundred bucks and it's an excellent portrait lens.  A long lens will be harder...really none of the cheap ones are that good.  You might just pick up a cheap Canon 75-300 for around $200 just to have something long until you save money to get something better.
For the money, the best long lens is the Canon 70-200 f4L.  You can find it on various camera for-sale boards for under $500 used and it's just an awesome lens.
If you're going to go with just one lens, give a look at the Sigma 18-200.  It's not tack-sharp and has some distortion and chromatic abberation, but not MAJOR and it's fairly cheap.  It gives you wide angle-to-telephoto and would let you get a feel for the camera before you buy anything more expensive.
Definitely get that 50 though.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:41:19 AM EDT
[#4]
How does the Cannon Rebel compare to a Nikon D70?   I've been thinking about getting a D70 after seeing some pictures taken with one.

The D70 Premium Package for $849 here is what I'm thinking about
www.expresscameras.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=102119&start=1
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:43:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
How does the Cannon Rebel compare to a Nikon D70?   I've been thinking about getting a D70 after seeing some pictures taken with one.

The Rebel XT is better in low light than the D70, but the D70 is a nice camera.  A better choice than either would be the Canon 20D.  It's more expensive (you can find them for around $1300 body only) but it's definitely worth it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:47:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I use this lense as a general purpose sort of thing...

CANON EF 35-135mm 1:4-5:6
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:52:43 AM EDT
[#7]
The Rebel XT is a good camera but make sure it fits your hand. Also, if you are doing alot of manual shooting (adjusting your own shutter speed and f-stop) then I would suggest the 20D. Having only one control wheel makes trying to adjust both simultaneously a real PITA. The 20D has the wheel in the back that the Rebel / RebelXT don't have. A good general walkaround lens would be either the Sigma or Tamron 18-200 lens.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:12:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Rebel XT is better in low light than the D70, but the D70 is a nice camera.  A better choice than either would be the Canon 20D.  It's more expensive (you can find them for around $1300 body only) but it's definitely worth it.

I'd love a D20 but it's a little out of my price range.

Here's one of the pictures that was taken with a D70 that is making me want one.  This is a much lower resolution than the original since the original is too large to post using Photobucket.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:15:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:42:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I use this lense as a general purpose sort of thing...

CANON EF 35-135mm 1:4-5:6

Only problem with that is, with 1.6X crop factor, 35 turns into 56 and that leaves you without any wide angle at all.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:43:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd love a D20 but it's a little out of my price range.

Here's one of the pictures that was taken with a D70 that is making me want one.  This is a much lower resolution than the original since the original is too large to post using Photobucket.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v391/2A373/AF166Custom2.jpg

Don't automatically associate great pictures with the quality of the camera.  A lot of that is lens.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:46:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:57:24 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Digital Camera Reviews

My CAD instructor is a Pro Photog on the side and showed me this website and recommended the XT.  

But I had to come and ask for the word of my boys here at ARFCOM  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:59:39 AM EDT
[#14]
One thing for sure
all of the current digital SLRs are great,
and in 8 months they are going to suck

if you don't believe me, i have a "900 dollar" Nikon CP900 i'll show ya

Heck, in our studio, we have a "10k buck" nikon DCS100
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/Kodak/
A moderne cell phone shoots more data

Buy the one that has the best available glass and upgrade the body in a year or so...

Nikon has some issues with the closed format of their RAW NEF format
Canon plays better with Adobe and nothing beats their Image Stabilized lenses

the original Canon Rebel DSLR is a good starter camera
and since it is now olde skool
it should become cheaper
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:02:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Actually, the best and most economical way to buy a DSLR is to go to the for sale forums of websites like Fred Miranda's forums.  You can find mint 20Ds there for under $1100.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:11:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Check this out.

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1805.html
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:50:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:03:52 AM EDT
[#18]
For the money it's a great camera.  They enabled more features than the older Rebel and it has some image advantages over the Nikon.  The 20D is the more pro style camera and built a little better. with all features unlocked.   The XT is small, it fits my hands ok, but people with larger hands feel awkward with it.  the kit lens is 'ok' nothing more.  I use the kit lens for wide angle shots.  I then picked up a Sigma 24-135mm lens (digital equiv of  38 - 220mm) for more reach.  That added about $300.  The images are good, but not up to the level of the Canon L-series lenses.  But you will pay out the ass for those, even used.

I love the colors and the flexibility this camera has over my old P&S digital (Canon G2).  It's a nice camera and if it fits you, you won't be sorry you bought it.

G

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:19:28 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Actually, the best and most economical way to buy a DSLR is to go to the for sale forums of websites like Fred Miranda's forums.  You can find mint 20Ds there for under $1100.

Deleted
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:33:22 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

20D with 18-55 lens new for $1100

Be VERY careful with whom you deal!
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:37:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:42:51 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it's not B&H, Calumet, or a very few otheres then check them out first!  
www.resellerratings.com/seller1805.html

Expect to read many stories like this one are there.

7/16/05 11:49 AM
I bought a camera with expresscameras.com for a reasonable price. An email prompted me to call in and confirm the order. When I did, I was asked; "Would you like a battery with that?" I of course said yes and then was asked; "Would you like a charger for your battery?" I again I said yes but declined any further added items. He said the cost for the two items was $89. Fine. I had done some research on those items and that seemed within the ballpark (though a touch high). Still fine... though a little irked that the camera would not come with a battery and charger. Seemed a little odd to me.  
When I checked my bank account online I saw that I had been charged an additional $300 for the battery and charger. NOT fine. I called the company expecting that it was a harmless error. No. Adding the battery and charger makes it a "package" and thus the new price. When I complained and asked to cancel the rep became indignant and told me how insulted he was that I did not appreciated the great deal I was getting. I was also told that I could not cancel because the item had already been shipped (though it took another day to get the tracking number) Needless to say I shipped the item back for a refund (less the $50 they charged me for shipping and the $20 it cost me to ship it back) Lesson learned.  
These guys tread a fine legal line. I am not sure if I can call them crooks, but I sure can call the extremely unethical merchants.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:43:10 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
How does the D50 stack up?
New you can get two Nikkor lenses 18-55 and 55-220 for less than 1K.

worth the time?

DPReview

They do a great job of detailing all the digital cameras.  Much better then you'll get from subjective "I like it", "I hate it" comments elsewhere.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:50:58 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Be VERY careful with whom you deal!

Thanks for the tip.  After doing some research on them there is no way in hell I'm going to buy anything from them.  Here's why.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:58:37 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the tip.  After doing some research on them there is no way in hell I'm going to buy anything from them.  Here's why.

joken is in the camera business too?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:01:47 AM EDT
[#26]
I bought a digital rebel kit about a year ago. Camera itself is great. The standard lense that comes with it was a POS though.. Bad quality control from what I have read.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:54:40 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

joken is in the camera business too?

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:57:23 PM EDT
[#28]
http://www.slickdeals.net/#p6473

Dell Home has new stackable coupons. Coupons expire 9/15 6AM. Thanks Wammer, photodork, MissLeading & activlink.

Stackable Electronics & Accessories coupons for orders under $1000 (7000 uses)

$20 off $150: BSKWNFLX$9B704

$35 off $300: 64DW9D95?$T9S?

$60 off $500: 83FF18TZXQ30W9

Percent off coupons (4000 uses)

25% off Canon, Kodak, Fuji, Sony, Olympus and Panasonic Digital Cameras
Code: 1MJ2FVWS811XST

20% off Select Canon, Kodak, Fuji, Sony, Olympus and Konica Minolta Digital Cameras and select Canon lenses Coupon
Code: W$Q7L298N206BK

15% off Select Canon, Kodak, Sony and Konica Minolta Digital Cameras Coupon
Code: 7X2P?XTGB090DS

20% off  Canon Rebel XT Body Silver dSLR
Code: QD3NT242N6MZS0
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:18:23 PM EDT
[#29]
I went to overpriced Wolf Camera today and got my paws on the XT and 20D.  
Both of them feel ok, after all was said and done, I'm going to get the 20D.

The 20D has better features for about $200 more(YMMV).

now to find a good price  

I think I'll start at the Dell site and see what those coupons will net me

thanks....

feel free to add to this thread as you see fit, someone else may be interested
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I went to overpriced Wolf Camera today and got my paws on the XT and 20D.  
Both of them feel ok, after all was said and done, I'm going to get the 20D.

The 20D has better features for about $200 more(YMMV).

now to find a good price  

I think I'll start at the Dell site and see what those coupons will net me

thanks....

feel free to add to this thread as you see fit, someone else may be interested

Huh?

Either they were WAY overpriced on the XT or you're comparing an XT kit to a 20D body only.

The price difference should be more in the $500 area.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:49:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Get the 20D and dont look back...
Sure, it is a bit pricey, but it is one hell of a camera for the money.
It is well built with a metal body, and actually feels like a camera.

With the digital rebel, you are limited to EFS lenses. With the 20D, you can use just about any lense in the Canon lineup, and their are tons of lenses to choose from.

Also, dont skimp on the CF cards, get at least 1 Gig or above. Get the high speed kind.

So far, I have an 18-55, 55-200, and soon, a 10-22 (when it gets here).

Dont hesitate to buy from B&H, very reasonably priced, and good to deal with.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:03:13 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
With the digital rebel, you are limited to EFS lenses. With the 20D, you can use just about any lense in the Canon lineup, and their are tons of lenses to choose from.

I also reccommend the 20D, but that statement is not correct.  You can use both EF/S and regular EF lenses with both the XT and the 20D.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:04:01 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Huh?

Either they were WAY overpriced on the XT or you're comparing an XT kit to a 20D body only.

The price difference should be more in the $500 area.

It's hard to find the XT in body only form at a shop as opposed to an online store.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:04:05 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Get the 20D and dont look back...
Sure, it is a bit pricey, but it is one hell of a camera for the money.
It is well built with a metal body, and actually feels like a camera.

With the digital rebel, you are limited to EFS lenses. Not true. Canon EF and EF-S lenses are both usable With the 20D, you can use just about any lense in the Canon lineup, and their are tons of lenses to choose from.

Also, dont skimp on the CF cards, get at least 1 Gig or above. Get the high speed kind.

So far, I have an 18-55, 55-200, and soon, a 10-22 (when it gets here).

Dont hesitate to buy from B&H, very reasonably priced, and good to deal with.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:22:29 PM EDT
[#35]
I picked up the Digital Rebel XT w/ 18-55mm in "tactical black", a starter kit with bag , spare battery and UV filter, a laminated menu guide and adapters for my current strap for a little over $1k from B&H photo.  I have large meat hands and the camera fits fine.  I will ad a battery grip and new external flash soon.  The camera performs quite well.

ETA: I forgot to mention I got a 512MB Extreme card in that bundle as well.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:05:23 AM EDT
[#36]
HOLY CRAP!

where to find a place that has 'em for sale and doesn't want to rape you on all the other stuff you need to make it all work. !?!?!?!?!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:12:03 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
HOLY CRAP!

where to find a place that has 'em for sale and doesn't want to rape you on all the other stuff you need to make it all work. !?!?!?!?!

The 20D comes packaged with:

BP-511A Lithium-Ion battery

CG-580 Battery Charger

CR2016 Lithium Battery (for Date/Time Functions)

USB Cable (IFC-400PCU)

Video Cable (VC-100)

Eb Eyecup

Neck Strap

Body Cap

EOS Digital Solutions Software CD-ROM

Digital Photo Professional 1.1 Software CD-ROM

Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 Software CD-ROM

User's Guide

1-Year U.S.A. Limited Warranty

If any of the above items are not included or are being sold as "add-ons" you're dealing with a rip-off-store

All that you need to add to get started are a Compact Flash Card and a lens.

A 1Gig CF card is in the $90 price range (some higher some lower)

ETA www.bhphotovideo.com Go there.  Shop there. You will be happy with them.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:03:22 PM EDT
[#38]
thanks Phil
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top