BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2005 9:57:35 PM EDT
Ocala homeowners association says evacuees are not welcome
By LAURA BYRNES
Ocala Star-Banner
and By MILLARD K. IVES
September 07. 2005
www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050907/LOCAL/209070310/1078/news
OCALA - Tammy Coggins returned to her Majestic Oaks home after a weekend in Atlanta and found the welcome mat pulled out from under her good intentions.

While communities throughout the Sunshine State and elsewhere are welcoming Hurricane Katrina's storm-weary survivors, Coggins and others in the 500-home southwest Ocala subdivision were told by their homeowners association that their deed restrictions prohibited them from doing the same.

A flier, distributed by the Majestic Oaks homeowners association on Saturday, said that rather than allowing "additional families" in the community, residents were encouraged to contribute to hurricane relief funds.

"I came from a city that opened its arms to 50,000 refugees," Coggins said. "I was shocked and angered when I came home to find this."

She was not alone.
On Tuesday, during an often contentious meeting, more than 60 residents packed the community room at Freedom Library to express their dismay over what many termed a "disgraceful" and "embarrassing" response to mounting efforts to help hurricane victims. At one point, board member Christine Beers - teary-eyed and visibly distraught - stood and apologized to the crowd saying, "I, for one, am very sorry."

Though the full board followed suit and unanimously apologized for what Lou Colainni called a "knee-jerk reaction" and what Bob Walsh said was "jumping the gun," the effect of the homeowners association's warning remains in force.

Across the nation, tens of thousands have offered their homes as temporary shelter for those displaced by Katrina. Placement is made via Internet registries such as HurricaneHousing.org, HomeFlood.org and Craig's List where everything from a spare sofa to luxury condominiums are available to victims, often free or for a nominal charge.

The notice was sent after the board learned that a homeowner planned to shelter three families evacuated from New Orleans. Vice President Audrey Andrews said the board's action was "blown out of proportion" and that she apologized only for it gaining news media attention.

"I think our intent was correct," she said. "It's a neighborhood problem (but) it got out . . . If a letter of apology will help, fine."

Andrews said the board was merely enforcing restrictions approved by homeowners as recently as last year.

But Bryce Mercier, both a Majestic Oaks resident and superintendent for the development's builder, Triple Crown Homes, said: "We didn't know the covenants would mean we couldn't help people."

"Yes, we're here to help people," Mercier said. "We're here to be Americans ... and charity begins at home."

Georgia Ann Bolla said she went "ballistic" when she got the notice. Bolla and her husband, Alfred Bolla, the former president of the Texas AFL-CIO, moved to Majestic Oaks last November.

"I'm proud of what Texas is doing for the refugees, we know what hospitality is," she said. "I'm totally ashamed to live in Majestic Oaks, I'm ready to move. We have a wonderful community, but this is a disgrace."

Though he feels "damn bad" about the uproar, homeowners association President Bob Watson said the board has a legal responsibility to enforce the deed restrictions, plain and simple.

"They're talking about their feelings, not using common sense," he said. "We feel bad about it, very upset about it ... There's no real solution."

Watson said that even under the unprecedented circumstances, the community's restrictions could not be ignored, especially if the evacuees are still sheltered months down the road.

Bypassing the by-laws could invite lawsuits, he said adding, "How am I going to explain that to the judge?"

Mark Bogen, executive director of the Florida Community Association Coalition, said that while such restrictions are routinely upheld in court, boards "can decide to not enforce those restrictions under unusual circumstances."

"It's definitely a tough situation," he said. "Probably the best idea, one that works in smaller communities of 50 or 100 homes, is to go around and get everyone to sign off on it."

While many other communities share similar deed restrictions as Majestic Oaks, several say they are willing to work with their residents interested in sheltering refugees.

OCALA - As some organizations seek to coordinate temporary homes for people devastated by Hurricane Katrina, the Majestic Oaks Homeowners Association is reminding its residents the evacuees aren't welcome in that community.

The association delivered notices to its 500-plus homes Saturday advising homeowners "that our covenants and by-laws prohibit additional families in family homes."

Audrey Andrews, vice president of the board, said Monday they encourage residents to make donations or charitable contributions to aid victims of Hurricane Katrina. But, she added, the board thought it needed to ward off any sudden influx of evacuees.

"These are single-family residences, and that's what they were intended for," Andrews said Monday.

Andrews did add that association residents can bring in evacuees who are family members.

Association board members began discussing the situation after word got to them that a minister in the community had traveled to New Orleans to bring back three families of evacuees, said association President Bob Watson. Watson said Monday that, even in the trying times following Hurricane Katrina, the covenants could not be bypassed. That could bring on lawsuits from other residents, especially if the evacuees are still being housed three or four months down the road.

"How am I going to explain that to the judge?" Watson said.

Watson said it wasn't clear who the minister is and that he had not been able to contact him to warn him not to bring back evacuees.

At least one area church, Blessed Trinity Catholic Church in Ocala, is asking parishioners to consider taking a family in.

Andrews said many residents welcomed the reminder but some were upset by the notice.

One resident, Nancy Fisher, said she took in evacuees from the hurricanes that hit Florida last year. She didn't feel the by-laws should apply to the community during the current crisis in the Gulf Coast.

"You shouldn't be asked to deny evacuees a place to stay just because you have a nice home," Fisher said.

Majestic Oaks is just outside Ocala off SW 60th Avenue and is a community of mostly block houses. This isn't the first controversy about possible violations of deed restrictions in the community.

In 1996, the association took a homeowner to court to make him remove a flag pole and the American flag from his yard.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:59:06 PM EDT
[#1]
My dad lives about 10 miles south of Ocala. I'm so glad he doesn't have a homeowner's association. I hate those GD things.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:01:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Ours has been pretty good(but costly), some of the residents on the other hand.............
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:15:20 PM EDT
[#3]
One resident, Nancy Fisher, said she took in evacuees from the hurricanes that hit Florida last year. She didn't feel the by-laws should apply to the community during the current crisis in the Gulf Coast.
"You shouldn't be asked to deny evacuees a place to stay just because you have a nice home," Fisher said.

This is a common response these days. In NO 2nd amendment has been de facto repealed due to "emergency."

I "feel" like she should read her association agreement. If she "feels" so strongly, she can set them up in a local hotel.

I love to read whiny stories about people who sign documents without reading them and considering how they might abridge some future activity. What a hoot.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:21:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I keep asking this question but I have to find a reasonable response..........who in their right mind would want to move in a mini-commie state, where they tell you what to do on your own property, and then pay a 'fee" to be bossed around? I just don't get it. wouldn't a plane ticket to canada then to cuba be cheaper?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:24:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I keep asking this question but I have to find a reasonable response..........who in their right mind would want to move in a mini-commie state, where they tell you what to do on your own property, and then pay a 'fee" to be bossed around? I just don't get it. wouldn't a plane ticket to cuba be cheaper?

Support Ocala in a few weeks if you are in a refugee evacuation point you will know why.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:26:27 PM EDT
[#6]
After watching those animals for 2 weeks I would not want any of them any closer than possible
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:27:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I keep asking this question but I have to find a reasonable response..........who in their right mind would want to move in a mini-commie state, where they tell you what to do on your own property, and then pay a 'fee" to be bossed around? I just don't get it. wouldn't a plane ticket to canada then to cuba be cheaper?

Sometimes if you want a decent house in the city, its the price you pay.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:27:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
After watching those animals for 2 weeks I would not want any of them any closer than possible

+1.

Not very Christian of me, but then again neither is exposing my family to harm unecessarily.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:32:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sometimes if you want a decent house in the city, its the price you pay.

I just can't understand why anyone would want to live in a city.
Not knocking the members that do. Just if you can live in the country and still make the same living ,why choose a city
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:34:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh, I might add that "downtown" Ocala is, well, rather "dark", and not someplace you really want to hang around when the sun's not up.

Looks like it will be getting worse as they reinforce the "troops" on the streets.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:51:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top