Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2005 8:11:42 PM EDT
Link.

You have to register it seems but it just takes a username and BS E-Mail addy.

Worth it I think.

Plus the guy incriminates himself in a felony!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:13:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I prefer to use [email protected]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:17:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Who the hell used the fake email address of "[email protected]"?!

That's my fake email address, damnit.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:28:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is a fake email and password:

[email protected]

ar15ar15
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:33:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok so tell Mr. Lazy here what the felony was?  I am too lazy to read through all of that.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:40:14 PM EDT
[#5]
He stole a truck and drove to Texas...!!
Improvise, adapt and overcome!!!

C.g.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:42:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
He stole a truck and drive to Texas...!!
Improvise, adapt and overcome!!!

C.g.

I fully agree, I just would not post pics!

How about the scared white men in a sea of black photo! Yeesh!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:51:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
He stole a truck and drove to Texas...!!

he said he "borrowed" his friend's truck -- the guy said "do what you need to do".  good freind.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:13:36 PM EDT
[#8]

At 6 in the morning on Day 5 we said good bye to each other and wished each other the best. Andy and I walked a mile to the Convention Center carrying as many important things as you could carry in two backpacks. When we got to the Convention Center and we turned the block... this is the site we saw. Thousands and thousands of people who had slept on their chairs waiting for the buses since last night.

My jaw dropped and a sudden state of fear grasped my body. However, I maintained utter calmness. It was obvious that they were NOT going to help these people evacuate any time soon. They had been forgotten and obviously and shamelessly ignored. And it was evident that Andy and I were merely two specs of salt in a sea of pepper. Not only would we have to wait forever, but more than anything, we would probably suffer dire conditions after it would be obvious that we wouldn't "fit in". It was clear to me that we would have to find another way out. We left the Convention Center and my first intuition is to walk around the city. I wanted to clear my head, but I also had a weird and crazy plan in mind.

I searched and searched for parking lots and broke into three cars. I was unsuccessful in hotwiring all of them (I mean, do ANY of YOU know how to? I mean c'mon, I was raised with a golden spoon and now I'm committing a minor felony). I was getting frustrated when I remembered a conversation Andy and I had with a friend a couple of days before evacuation. He said that he owned a series of trucks and that he would lock them up in his factory. If worst came to worse, he told us that we could do what we had to do. We walked another mile to the factory over by Calliope and Annunciation Street. The factory had been already been looted. They took power tools, hammers, etc. Two trucks lay there untouched.

I looked around under dim light for anything. I didn't know what I was looking for, but I had to do something. In the back of the wharehouse there was a small window. Behind the window was a small office. Inside the office, there was a small box that said "truck keys". I grabbed a metal pipe, and quitely, but succesfully smashed the window. There was only one key... to truck #25. The trucks that were there, were #6 and 25. I don't remember much after I turned on the ignition. We drove towards the Westbank where we had "heard" that there was a way out. It was true. However, we had no gas and the tank was on "E". Thirty miles outside of Baton Rouge, and 45 minutes after riding on "E", we found a gas station... they didn't take cash. A man paid for our gas with his credit card and for 5 others. The next stop... Houston, Texas. I don't want to say this was all Divine Intervention... but it's not too late to start believing... - Alvaro R. Morales Villa
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:16:01 PM EDT
[#9]
tag
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:38:04 AM EDT
[#10]
interesting read, thanks
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:18:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Here's something unexpected:

we found a gas station... they didn't take cash. A man paid for our gas with his credit card and for 5 others.

I take it they didn't want to have large sums of cash in their pockets when the wolves roamed the streets.  Kind of the opposite of everyone's theories about cash/gold being the king in emergencies!!

Black Fox
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:35:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I take it they didn't want to have large sums of cash in their pockets when the wolves roamed the streets.  Kind of the opposite of everyone's theories about cash/gold being the king in emergencies!!
    Black Fox

Very true, but this is only one scenario and I sure wouldn't have it in my pockets.

What happens when that credit card machine goes down.....

Crpdeth
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:55:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I needs me some new shoes!!!

Good pics
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:16:56 AM EDT
[#14]
These are great pics of before, during ,and after.

These are places where the press would not show because of lack of interest or looters.
It was amazing how alot of the buildings are not flooded or heavily damaged.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#15]
BTT.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:24:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Five0..went through ALL 197 pics... GREAT "essay" I thank you for a GREAT thread!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:30:48 AM EDT
[#17]
No question about it, the best I have seen about the N.O. disaster. Great read.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:02:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Haven't read throught the whole thing yet, but the snippets so far are encouraging. This sort of thing gives me faith that there are still real Americans out there who are prepared to deal with their problems themselves, rather then sit on their ass and wait for Big Brother to solve all of their problems for them. And of couse blame the nearest Republican when Big Brother fails to make their lives flawless.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:06:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Tag
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:17:59 AM EDT
[#20]
tag
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:29:03 PM EDT
[#21]
What happened to the pictures????  I get an ugly woman instead.    
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:32:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:47:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
    Black Fox

Very true, but this is only one scenario and I sure wouldn't have it in my pockets.

What happens when that credit card machine goes down.....

Crpdeth

Well, if the credit card machine goes down for lack of power, chances are that the electrically-operated gas pumps are also going to stop working.

If the credit card machine goes down for other reasons, and there's still power, well I imagine that they would either accept cash or close up.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:07:47 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
album deleted, did anyone grab it?

+1
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:38:55 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
album deleted, did anyone grab it?

+1

They were really good pictures, I should have saved them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:46:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Well shit, I went through all that trouble to sign up and it's gone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top