Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2005 5:09:41 PM EDT
I  have a laptop from work (Gateway solo 3350)

ETA: duh,... WinXPpro

employee was terminated, all the user/admin passwords have this thing locked up.

I can open it up and look at the drive on another machine, but I'm having a problem figuring out what to do from there.

this unit doesn't have it's CD drive and the only floppy we can use is a USB fdd.

what to do when I can only remove the hdd?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:23:17 PM EDT
[#1]
What are you needing to do with it? Get files off? Reformat?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:30:30 PM EDT
[#2]
We need to be able to re-use this notebook... I can access all files by taking the disk out of it and hooking it up to this one (the one I'm using now) via a USB adapter....

I want to un-do the present passwords..
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:35:34 PM EDT
[#3]
get a USB Cd drive and reinstall

If you want to see what the d00d was up too then copy the contents to a new drive first
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:40:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

If you want to see what the d00d was up too then copy the contents to a new drive first

how do you get it to boot to the USB drive w/o being able to install drivers for USB?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:42:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

how do you get it to boot to the USB drive w/o being able to install drivers for USB?

either it will be automatic, semi-auto or you will have to Dos it first...

Check in the bios to see if it has an option to allow boot from USB device.

Try it with a USB cd drive.

How old it the laptop?

what kind is it?

EDIT TO ADD:

Optical media drives (external)
To determine the optical disc drive type, examine the drive tray's plastic cover. A DVD logo indicates a DVD drive, and a CD Digital Audio logo indicates a CD drive.

CD drive: Constant angular velocity 10-24X. EIDE interface. Full stroke access time 150 ms (at 20X). 128K data buffer. CD Enhanced compatible.

DVD drive: Constant angular velocity 1-8X DVD mode, 8-24X CD mode. 128K data buffer.

Does it have a special input for a CD drive?

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:47:42 PM EDT
[#6]
It's a Gateway Solo3350.

no fdd, no cd...it's one of the more compact systems from a couple years ago...its a tiny bit b igger than a sheet of paper.

eta:  not selectable to boot to usb.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:48:58 PM EDT
[#7]
You can also do a google search for "windows xp password recovery"

http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:58:31 PM EDT
[#8]
that sucks.  if it was a compaq or HP the recovery cds are built in a hidden partion on the HD.   you'll have to get it on a usb drive somehow.   good luck
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:03:58 PM EDT
[#9]
http://www.infopackets.com/channels/en/windows/gazette/2004/20040623_cannot_log_into_admin_account_winxp.htm

Try that. drop into SAFE MODE and give ot a try.

Also read this from microsoft.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321305
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:06:30 PM EDT
[#10]
You can use a Win haxor disk, Bart PE, to reset Window's passwords.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:16:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a floppy that alows you to reset all passwords. You will lose content on some folders for present user names. If you have a pcmcia slot you can boot from a card. You could get a small one on ebay,that wouldn be much.

There are adapters that allow you to use a compact flash or other flash media in a pcmcia adapter.You can gety one of those at Best Buy or Circuit City for under 15 bucks. I am not 100% shure you can boot from that as I have never done it. I dont see why not though as your going through the pcmcia slot.

Let me know and Ill dig up the floppy.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:56:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I need something that I can do with the physical drive removed from the computer.  there isn't a way yet that I can find to boot from anything other than drives that I can't connect or via network.  I have the means to do it if I had a bootable cd drive attached to it... but I dont.  (reloading all the OS/programs is the major issue here w/o a cd drive.)

I will find a way.......  I may have to dig up an older pcmcia card and see what I can do with it.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:13:10 PM EDT
[#13]
My guess/opinion:

The drive in the laptop is a standard ATA drive, as found in most desktops, and it is a 2.5 inch drive.  From a data transfer standpoint, the drive is electricly compatable with a standard ata drive, but not power combatable.

There is a ide 2.5" converter you can buy/use to connect power and data to the laptop drive, if you can get it out of the case.  

something like this --> http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=316123&pfp=BROWSE

plug the laptop drive in that baby and access it like any other removable drive.

edit: if works you can send me some money.

edit edit:  use l0phtcrack to get the passwords
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:37:39 PM EDT
[#14]
please read my posts.  I'm grateful for all the replys, but many of them ignore information I have provided.

If I had a cd drive I could boot from, this would all be a non-issue.
I can/do have the hdd out and accessable from another computer.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:41:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:09:22 AM EDT
[#16]
btt for daylight crew... :)
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:37:15 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a few questions to ask ya.

1. The passwords that you want to change/reset, are they for the bios so the machine will boot up, or is it just the passwords in Windows?

If it is the bios that is password protected, then you can contact Gateway directly and they should have a way for you to reset the bios via a jumper, or switch somewhere. Just be sure to ask them for documentation showing and explaining this procedure in detail so you can get it apart and back together without breaking anything. All of their Desktops have this option anyway.

If it is just the passwords in Windows, just do one of the ideas that the others have already provided you with, including the hard drive adapter, cause the cables in a desktop will not fit the drive without it.

Keep us up to date as to answers and results. Someone here may already be able to help more with more info.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:42:07 AM EDT
[#18]
at this point locate another laptop with a cdrom and floppy take the HD out of the original machine..  installl it onto the other laptop run one of the password reset programs on the HD.  take the hardrive out and install it to the original machine.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:45:42 AM EDT
[#19]
I have an IDE/USB interface.
I do not have any of the external drives that came with this laptop(why are these the ones "lost" by their users??)

I have the drive out of the laptop and am able to read it's contents.

seeing how there is no way I can get an operating system on this thing w/o an external fdd/hdd, I'd like to disable or reset the passwords for the existing OS (XPpro)

IF I had a bootable CD, this thread wouldn't be here.. I've used "Boot Disk" to recover several machines, and I'm sure I could have here too)
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:47:18 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
at this point locate another laptop with a cdrom and floppy take the HD out of the original machine..  installl it onto the other laptop run one of the password reset programs on the HD.  take the hardrive out and install it to the original machine.  

not a bad Idea...may try this after my next attempt (swapping out the unknown SAM file with a known one)
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:49:46 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I chose to do this route first, and should have yesterday, but I was too lasy .... it ended up working in a mater of minutes.

lesson learned.

'boot disk' saves more time....

thanks for the help gang
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:05:28 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a couple of questions / answers
1.) Do you need the info (files) off this machine?
     NO? Then use a bootable WinXP CD and do a reinstall
2.) Is the bios boot PW set?
     YES? There is a bios reset jumper that must be flipped and then power it on, this resets the bios PW
If you just want to be able to use the machine for another employee, and dont care about the info in it
than Follow #1
I hope this helps
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top