Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2005 2:43:28 PM EDT
Its not as extreme as some of the stories Ive read on here but it really ticked me off so I thought I would share.

this labor day weekend I got leave to see the family so I fly home to Iowa from georgia.  I get back and a buddy says he found a good deal on a berretta storm that I was looking at earlier.  I head towards a gun show that I had seen posters for around town.  I normally wouldn't have attended because the guy who runs it seemed like a total ass every time I had met him and the prices are normally very jacked up high.

I get to the gun show at 3 in the afternoon when the posters say it was closing at 330 that didn't leave me much time but at least I could talk to the vendor selling the storm for 350.  I walk in the door and a guy comes walking up to me that I didn't recognize from before.  He is wearing a we support the troops tshirt.  He tells me as Im walking in that they are starting to close up so stay out of the tables way if they are closing.  I thought it was kinda strange that they were all packing up 30 minutes early but I had a mission so I just thanked him.

I get to the table pick up the rifle and am talking to the vendor as another guy came up with the same shirt on and says " I thought you were told to find your way to the door."  He said it very very rude and left his hand hanging towards the door as if he expected me to leave immediately.  I told him I only needed to speak to one person and that I was staying out of the way.  

It just made me sick that these guys could be such assholes to someone they didn't know at all.  Im a pretty clean cut guy.  Im not some gang banger or really scruffy looking character or just a browser.  I had bought gear from several of the guys I noticed in the show and yet I was being treated like I wasn't allowed there.  Would they have treated me any different if I had my BDU's on? of course they would but you shouldn't need to be in your uniform to be appreciated.  Not only appreciated but these guys were flaunting there support of the troops in some type of marketing tact to get business just makes me hate everything about it.

end of story I didn't buy the rifle.  I have the guys number but since I'm back in benning I won't be buying it anytime soon unless my brother wants to grab it.

what would you have all done.  I just chose the better man path and walked out but what else could I have done.  pulling out my mil id would just be rubbing it in his face and make us all look bad.  I just don't like dealing with asses.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:46:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd have told him to not bother me while I'm conducting business and then ignored him. I also would have bought the rifle.

Some of the nicest people I've ever met have been gun owners. Same goes with some of the rudest.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:49:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
the posters say it was closing at 330

I would hav easked f'tard 1 or f'tard 2 "well gee... your poster says you're open 'til 3... was it a misprint?" ("sincere" confused look and simpering smile)

I just chose the better man path and walked out but what else could I have done.

You can drop the firm running the show a note like this, explaining that their staff was rue, and that, if you don't receive an apology, you'll feel free to warn your friends and others of this type of behavior by releasing names, locations and dates over the 'net.

I just don't like dealing with asses.

Unfortunately, it seems like many shows are run by folks more interested in dollars than having fun shooting / collecting firearms. IMHO the management companies would be happier herding a bunch of soccer moms around a scrapbooking expo than dealing with folks like us. (ornery)

Ya did good, given whatcha had.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:51:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I would have turned away, ignored him, and continued conducting my business, unless the guy I was dealing with was closing up shop.
ETA - Hindsight is always 20/20. It's easy for me to say this sitting in front of my computer. You avoided a completely unnecessary conflict, so good for you. Fuck the rest.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:51:21 PM EDT
[#4]
i would have just said "ok" and gone about my business like he wasnt there

some people just hate that
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:53:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Post your experience in the IA hometown forum - perhaps word will get back the jerk (or other dealers at the show) that he is alienating customers.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:59:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Thats just the thing I don't want to cause trouble for the dealers.  It wasn't any of the vendors in particular.  Its the guy who puts it on.  Most of the dealers are smaller gunsmiths or collectors who display there stuff or some hunting shops.  the guy running it shouldn't ruin this opportunity for the vendors because unlike some areas they don't have many other venues to hit this group of people.

story short.  he is ruining business for the other good people.  these are all generally the kind of people I like to be around.  most are gun loving republicans who appreciate my job but these two guys who were apparently staff ruined the experience.

I was also mad because if I would have gotten there 20 minutes earlier there wouldn't have been a problem period but I would have also shown up when my friend who called was there...he is restricted to a wheel chair still loves shooting and his dad an LEO was in uniform...how could you mess with an leo a disabled person and an army stud like myself would have been a sight to see them try and throw us out.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:12:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Last show I went to had roughly 50 tables, only 4 of which contained more then 15 guns and none of them contained deals I couldn't get from a local shop I didn't have to pay 17 bucks to get into. I didn't see a private sale the entire time -- although the flying helocopter and jewlery cleaning tables could have been blocking my view. I did get to meet some nice *ahem... insert violation of CoC here* fellows who I'm sure are there to buy an AK for all the right reasons...
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:14:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Did they contact your neighbors and snitch out your purchases?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:15:42 PM EDT
[#9]
They close 2 or more hours early in this area; you've missed very little by staying home.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:27:55 PM EDT
[#10]
thats kinda odd, I've been to many,many shows at closing and there are always people walking around doing business, incluing myself, and I've never seen nor heard of such a  problem..

I believe I'll go to the show tomorrow just to retest the theory.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:31:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Dude, that is weird. I set up at shows all the time. Shit, they are still letting people in the door at 3:50 when the show closes at 4:00. Hell, the guys who run shows around here don't like you packing up at 3:00 when the show closes at 4:00 (although if it is dead, people do anyway).

I am always willing to make a last minute sale, and have been known to unpack boxes if I know I have something someones looking for.

Weird, I would have told him to f*ck off, the signs say its open to 3:30....
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:02:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Dealers are at shows to make money.

Someone, anyone, walking around telling people to hurry up is an idiotic business practice.

Dealers pay for their tables and expect/hope to make a profit for their time.

As far as unpacking something that someone wants to buy, sounds like a solid business practice.

Reminds me of waiting tables in college.  People would actually give up tables at the end of the night so they could go party a little early.
WTF, you're already there, might as well make as much money as you can.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:09:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Reminds me of one dealer at the Saxet show I went to last month. He had a CZ-52 on the table, but no price tag on it. Everything else was clearly labeled. I asked him how much he was selling it for. He said he couldn't remember what he wanted for it and couldn't find the price tag. He then proceeded to ignore me and try selling laser bore sights to random passersby. Fine, if you don't want my business, that's your problem.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:50:06 AM EDT
[#14]
I gave him a $100 for it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:00:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top