Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2005 12:57:08 PM EDT
What is the extent that you can train a cat?  I understand they don't learn as well as a dog would but can you teach a cat anything at all (other than to use the litter box to crap into)?  Can I teach a cat to stay or to sit?  Just wondering as I now have a cat in my house.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:02:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Lest see.  I have trained cats to.....
Sit, then stand on hind legs on command before being fed.
Speak
Sit
Stay
Fetch
Use a human toliet.  Could not teach to flush, but he would do his business in it.

Thats about it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:03:04 PM EDT
[#2]
A friend of mine trained my cat to fetch in about 5 minutes one night. I thought he was full of shit when he said he could, but he did it. He says either they will or will not, and you will know in 5 Minutes.

Aviator
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:03:20 PM EDT
[#3]
They are better at training humans than humans are at training them.

The is a Russian cat circus of trained cats though.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:03:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Speak
Sit
Stay
Use a human toliet.  Could not teach to flush, but he would do his business in it.

Thats about it.

You're kidding!  How did you do that?  What kind of reinforcement schedules?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:05:51 PM EDT
[#5]
tagged for piccolo's reply.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:07:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Speak
Sit
Stay

Thats about it.

There is a training kit you can get online.  Its a cat box that looks like a toliet seat and in the middle is cat litter.  You put it on the toliet...then after they get use to it, you take the litter out...then after they get used to it, you take the center out so that they are then going in the toliet...but still standing on their fake toliet seat..then after they get used to it, remove the fake seat.  and wholla, after about 2 months of training, the cat is going in the toilet.

It really depends on the cat though.  We had 3 cats we tried it with.  One got it really quick with no problems.  One took twice as long to train, but finnaly got it...only had a few mishaps after training.  The other was dumb as a post and we gave up.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:08:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Speak
Sit
Stay

Thats about it.

I got a book on this I read years ago, but basically it's a matter of little by little remove the litter box from on top of the toilet type scenario.  Cat's are instictively programmed to shit in cat litter, except for some nutball cases.  Gradually move the litterbox closer and closer to the toilet, then eventually on the toilet, then they get used to shitting on the litterbox on the toilet.  

Then make a small hole in bottom of litter box, then each week remove a bit more litter and make the hole larger, then they get used to crapping in a litter box with no litter and a big hole in the litter box.  Then remove the litter box.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Speak
Sit
Stay

Thats about it.

There is a training kit you can get online.  Its a cat box that looks like a toliet seat and in the middle is cat litter.  You put it on the toliet...then after they get use to it, you take the litter out...then after they get used to it, you take the center out so that they are then going in the toliet...but still standing on their fake toliet seat..then after they get used to it, remove the fake seat.  and wholla, after about 2 months of training, the cat is going in the toilet.

It really depends on the cat though.  We had 3 cats we tried it with.  One got it really quick with no problems.  One took twice as long to train, but finnaly got it...only had a few mishaps after training.  The other was dumb as a post and we gave up.

That's amazing, I ought to look into that.  Before you replied to this thread, I tried to get my cat to balance on the little seat ring in the toilet.  Her paws are little enough, but that thing is slick.  She almost fell in
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:11:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Speak
Sit
Stay

Thats about it.

That's amazing, I ought to look into that.  Before you replied to this thread, I tried to get my cat to balance on the little seat ring in the toilet.  Her paws are little enough, but that thing is slick.  She almost fell in

One of mine did fall in.  It was funny as heck.  Poor kitty though.  She was not happy.  She was even more unhappy that we were laughing at her.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:12:21 PM EDT
[#10]
To reinforce the using the toilet, I heard about 20 some years ago. Pretty much how mjohn described. And there is a way to train them to flush too. But I don't remember how that was done.

Most cats are very smart. All cats are also very independent. That's why it can be so hard to train them. They find it's easier to train the human, then to learn something new.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:12:29 PM EDT
[#11]
cats are trainable

I've had cats that would fetch and play dead

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:13:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Mine is trained to meow continuously every morning until it gets fed its canned food.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:13:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I once trained a girlfriends cat to hunt coyotes, but any cat can hang in a pillow case and make noise.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:15:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Mine could turn on the touch-activated lamp beside the bed.

This was not a result of training though, he figured it out on his own.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:18:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Maybe train them to catch a .45 with their teeth.....
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:20:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Taxidermist are expert cat trainers.

Stay kitty stay.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:29:45 PM EDT
[#17]
what do you *need* to be able to train him to do?  

All you need is:

1)poop/pee in the litter box
2)use the scratching post not the furniture

It's very easy to accomplish these.  Both you and your cat will be a lot happier if you don't expect too much more than this .
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:32:09 PM EDT
[#18]

I have trained them to goto the door when they want to shit or piss. Just stick there nose in it and bust there ass and set them outside.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:33:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Speak
Sit
Stay

Thats about it.

Skateboard tape.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:34:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Ever heard of the cliche "Herding Cats?"

Wanna know how it came about?

There's your answer.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:35:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Mine liked to play fetch.  It would get to the point that I would give up because I didn't have hours to spend with them doing that.  I never bothered with the toilet training, although a friend of mine had a cat that would flush the toilet.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:38:42 PM EDT
[#22]
My cats will jump up on to my window screen to wake me up and let them in. I had on cat that was about the size of a rabbit and would fight the dogs of the neighborhood, it would kick there ass., until she didn't come back on day.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:43:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:55:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:57:51 PM EDT
[#25]
I really need to try the toilet training thing with our two cats.  To date all we have been using the toilet for when it comes to our cats is a CAT WASH.  That's right, two teaspoonfulls of laundry detergent, insert cat, close lid, 4 flushes...washed!!!

Seriously, one of ours fetches, but only certain things, and we can't teach him to fetch other things, like the winning lottery tickets or the keys to a new sportfisherman.  Our other cat just doesn't get the whole fetching thing.  She'll run and go pick up the item, but never bring it back.  Oh well.  

They also were taught (by an ex girlfriend) to open up cabinets.  Now I have those stupid child locks on all my cabinets (but have no kids), which is kind of hard to explain to new people.

SnF  
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:59:03 PM EDT
[#26]

Domesticated cats CAN be trained, but people rarely bother or want to (and some buy the myth that they cannot be).  PLus, there are not a lot of "schools" or programs for training your cat.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:00:29 PM EDT
[#27]
OMG. LOL.

last night when my G/F went to work, I put a sock on her cat's head to see what it would do.
It would crawl around real low to the ground and navigate it's self by smell, alot like a dog. It sniffed its way all around the appartment.  I would pick it up and put it someplace different but, it still seemed to know wear it was going.  It only bumped into something once.  It made it's way under our futon, (the place it usually goes) This is where I got in trouble.  I decided not to get the cat and take off the sock, (figuring it would do it on it's own, not unlike a ferrett, or when you throw a blanket over a dog, (my dogs loved that game,))  Well, my G/F came home and apperentlly she found the cat had made its way out from under the futon and perched its self on top of the futon (the futon was in couch form.)  The cat was meowing at all corners of the room when my G/F found her.  Of course I had been on my computer for the last 4 hours, and did'nt hear anything.  Boy was my G/F pissed.  And when I told her that, "The stupid cat did'nt take off the sock after 4 hours, it was it's own damned fault, and every dog on the plantet would have taken off the sock, so either dogs are smarter then cats, or your cat is a retard."  Saying that  really got her pissed at me, and she told me I will have to pay for counseling if the cat has psychological damage. (Where you get psychological treatment for a cat? I don't know.  So I said I'll pay. (I hope I didnt shoot myself in the foot.))
Anyways, the cat is not scarred, and it treats me just the same as it did before.   No big deal.  I can tell you that cats have a high instinctual intellegence, but for high intellegence (as far as animals are concerned,) not so much.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:41:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Had a siamese growing up that taught herself how to pee on the toilet.

She did it for several years, and my Mom kept bitching at my Dad and I for not flushing...

We just thought she was , but she insisted it was us -  until she was fixing her makeup and heard a "squirt" behind her... looked over her shoulder in the mirror and there was Mabel with a WTF expression, doing her business.

Dad & I got "I'm sorry" dinners for a week.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top