Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2005 12:22:18 PM EDT
SAN JOSE, Calif. — A Nevada couple has pleaded guilty in a San Jose court to all charges related to planting a finger in a bowl of Wendy's chili.

Anna Ayala (search), 39, and her husband, Jaime Placencia (search), 43, entered the pleas in Santa Clara County Superior Court. They both pleaded guilty to conspiracy to file a false claim and attempted grand theft, in addition to other charges.

Ayala originally claimed she found a finger in her bowl of chili at a Wendy's (search) restaurant in San Jose on March 22.

But in the following weeks, DNA evidence determined that the finger actually belonged to Placencia's coworker, and police arrested both Ayala and Placencia.

Authorities alleged the couple was seeking to win a large settlement from the Wendy's fast food chain by placing a portion of the finger in the chili.

The Dublin, Ohio-based Wendy's International Inc. claimed the scheme cost $2.5 million in lost sales because of bad publicity.

The pair is scheduled to be sentenced on Nov. 2. Ayala faces up to nine years and eight months, and Placencia faces up to 13 years in state prison.

From FOX News-
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:28:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Good
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:29:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Lock em up.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:32:03 PM EDT
[#3]
question for the older members here:
Did shit like this go on in the 50's? 60's? What about the 70's.
I mean people desperately scheming to get a free dollar outta someone?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:40:26 PM EDT
[#4]
dunk her in NOLA flood waters
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:44:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like crime didn't pay in this one.

Wish I could say that about most other things.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:45:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Did somebody cut off a portion of there fucking finger just so they could get some free money?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

This kind of shit has been going on in one form or another since the dawn of civilization.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:47:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Did somebody cut off a portion of there fucking finger just so they could get some free money?

think it was friend of a frend type relationship where f or a f lost his finger in an accident?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:54:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This kind of shit has been going on in one form or another since the dawn of civilization.

Disagree (somewhat) We didn't used to have tamper-proof packaging and we didn't used to have brain dead judges who would permit multi-million dollar verdicts against corporations at the slightest perceived insult. While bad things have always been a part of the human condition (did I just write "the human condition"? [vomit]) they are far far worse now than they were 30, 40 or 50 years ago.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:57:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Why is he liable for more time than she is?  She is the one who started the scam.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:03:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I admire Wendys for fighting back.  Just because you're a "big evil corporation like McDonalds or Walmart" doesn't mean you have to take shit from scam artists.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top