Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2005 11:12:09 AM EDT
Anyone else use them?  I've just started switching all of my household fixtures over to these spiral type bulbs.  I'm hoping to see a big decrease in my light bill over the next few months once I get most everything switched over.  If they last as long as advertised, they'll be worth it in the long run.

I love they light they put out.  Kind of a cool light, not the harsh glow of a normal bulb.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:12:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I just want to congratulate you for spelling "fluorescent" properly.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:13:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Ive used them before, but went back to incandescent for my room cause fluorescent was too weird to have on all the time.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:15:08 AM EDT
[#3]
They work pretty well.  No major impact on my bill.  However some of them have been going for nearly 4 years now.  I actually took them from my old home and most of those are still operational.  I have not bought light bulbs in years.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:16:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I use them for outside lighting that is on from dusk to dawn. They take too long to warm up (seconds) to be used in a motion light. I augment this "less-bright" light set up with motion activated floods/spots and holosights.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:17:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I use them.  They work great!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:17:47 AM EDT
[#6]

I use a mix.  In light fixtures that have two or more bulbs, I try to use at least one compact fluorescent.

It makes for a nice balance between energy conservation and the color of the light.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:20:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
 However some of them have been going for nearly 4 years now.  I actually took them from my old home and most of those are still operational.  I have not bought light bulbs in years.

That was one of the major selling points.  We have one lamp that runs almost all the time.  Not unusual for us to replace the bulb twice a month.

I just need to find some small ones to use in our ceiling fans.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:20:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I use them too. I'm very happy with them but I don't see any change in my electric bill at all.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:27:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 However some of them have been going for nearly 4 years now.  I actually took them from my old home and most of those are still operational.  I have not bought light bulbs in years.

That was one of the major selling points.  We have one lamp that runs almost all the time.  Not unusual for us to replace the bulb twice a month.

I just need to find some small ones to use in our ceiling fans.

Yep I have a 60 year old house and had to replace blubs about ever 2 week. The compact fluorescent last for years.

I don't know about electricity saving but I am sure I have saved money replacing light bulbs.

I use them where they will fit... I get them in a 5 pack from Sams.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:45:39 AM EDT
[#10]
A few months ago I had to replace my first CF lightbulb.

It was the first one I ever bought, during my senor year of highschool. Which was about 6 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:51:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I've got them in my kitchen and bathroom.

Look for a place like Menards that has a display of them actually on.

There is a HUGE difference in their colors.

The ones in my bathroom are advertised as having the light intensity of 150 watt,
but only draw a fraction of that.  They look to me to be as bright, and have the color of
a 40 watt bulb.  I was a little disappointed that they didn't appear brighter.
These have four straight tubes that are about 5 inches long.

The ones in my kitchen have the same rating, but are much more blue, and appear to
be brighter.  These are the coiled kind.

I put the more "natural" color in the bathroom so my wife doesn't make-up herself
into something looking like Mimi.  (Drew Carey's nemesis)

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:53:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Yep I have a 60 year old house and had to replace blubs about ever 2 week.

Not trying to be a smartass....  well, maybe a little...

What does the age of the house have to do with how often you replace a bulb?

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:55:16 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a few of both kinds, the fluorescent ones seem a little to dim to use in our living room. I wish they were a little brighter because I think there is some kind of  conspiracy going on with the power company and light bulb companies, because every month it seems like I have to replace 90% of the regular light bulbs in the house.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:57:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Not all CF's are made equal.

I've used some that lasted less than six months.  

Others that have lasted 6 years.  

Buy GE or Sylvania, not off brand or generic CF.  

It will cost quite a bit more, but will last much longer too.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:00:55 PM EDT
[#15]
When we bought our house, I got a good deal on them at Home Depot.  They had 4-packs of 60-watt equivalents for $6.99 or so, so I loaded up.  I think about 80% of our house's lights are fluorescent now.  I love them.  When they're cold, they aren't quite as fast to come on as incandescents, but they are very close.  Maybe .2-.5 seconds.  Fast enough for me.  been over a year, and I haven't had to replace one yet.  They're great to put into hard-to-reach sockets like floodlights and in my two-story foyer.  I'm replacing those as they burn out because they're too much of a pain to get to just to take out a working bulb.

I just wish I could get a good deal on some 40-watt equivalents.  I have 4 bulbs in my ceiling fans in the living room and bedroom, and they're a little too bright.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:02:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Not all CF's are made equal.

I've used some that lasted less than six months.  

Others that have lasted 6 years.  

Buy GE or Sylvania, not off brand or generic CF.  

It will cost quite a bit more, but will last much longer too.  

A guarantee is a guarantee. I am about to replace all of the bulbs in our house with these. I can get a 6 pack for about $10
$100 bucks or more later, and I should be covered.

They make some yellow ones, do those look more like a regualr light bulb?
Which color should I get?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:03:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I have a few of both kinds, the fluorescent ones seem a little to dim to use in our living room. I wish they were a little brighter because I think there is some kind of  conspiracy going on with the power company and light bulb companies, because every month it seems like I have to replace 90% of the regular light bulbs in the house.

I'd have an electrician check out your electrical system.  That sounds very excessive.  If it's blowing out your lights like that, there's no telling what kind of long-term damage your electronics might have.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:04:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm almost done switching every bulb in the house to CF's.  The local power company offers $2 in-store coupons at Home Depot and Lowe's.  I think they may be subsidized too because I can get a 6-pack of 60W equiv. bulbs for less than $4!  The coupon doesn't apply to that one item, though.

The house is way brighter and I figure I'm using just under 85% less power for lighting.  My first experiment was to replace fifteen 85W flood bulbs in the recessed lights in the basement with 60W equiv. bulbs (except a 100W equiv. over my desk).  The investment paid for itself in a little under 3 weeks, IIRC and despite the lower wattage equivalency, the basement is at least as bright.

Now if only I could get a compact fluorescent air conditioner . . .  

[Edit for clarity]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:04:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I've switched many but not all my bulbs.
2 things I've noticed. The ones in the living room table lamps take a few minutes to get to full brightness (but I don't notice that with other bulbs maybe it's just the brand those are as I have a few brands). Second thing is that the color of the light is different from incandescent. Takes some getting used to and sucks when trying to pick out a shirt and tie combination to wear with my suits
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:05:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Could somone with extensive knowlege on these things post some info on the different kinds?
What stores have a large assortment of these bulbs on display?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:05:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I buy these things at the local Asian supermarket 75-watt equiv for $1. I've had some that lasted 2 weeks, and some that is more than 2 years old. I like them because they produce so little heat.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:08:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I want to buy some foreign incandescent bulbs on my next trip to a 220 country.  If you buy a 150 or 200 watt bulb, rated for 220, and use it in the US, 110 volts, it will be a 75 or 100 watt bulb that will last nearly forever.

The history channel discussed it in one of their light bulb shows.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:28:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I use them too. I'm very happy with them but I don't see any change in my electric bill at all.

Lighting a home for the most part accounts for only 10% of the bill.  In my case that averages out to $20 per month.  If I save 75% by using CF twist bulbs, I'll save $15 / month approximately.  It isn't a lot to notice, but it is savings nonetheless.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:36:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yep I have a 60 year old house and had to replace blubs about ever 2 week.

Not trying to be a smartass....  well, maybe a little...

What does the age of the house have to do with how often you replace a bulb?

This is not an uncommon problem in older houses.

Some of the reasons I suspect…

older wiring, usually not as thoroughly grounded as modern construction, older fixtures/switches more corrosion/resistance, older neighborhood older wiring infrastructure.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#25]
All the ones I've tried have lived up to their adverts:

They say it's a 23 Watt bulb, and that's exactly how bright they are.

The only advantage is that they don't output much heat, so I stay comfortable when having to read underneath one.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#26]
I use them everywhere except the wife's vanity.

They are great.  Pay special attention to the color temperature though if you are particular about the color of the light.

Color temperature is expressed as degrees Kelvin:

2500-2700 K bulbs - pinkish light.  A bit warmer than most cool white bulbs.
3000 K bulbs - Warm white.  This is closest to most regular incandesant bulbs.
3200-3500 K bulbs - Cool White.  These bulbs are very white and are good for adding bright light in colored rooms.
4100-5100 K bulbs - Almost Blueish.  Mid-day, bluesky, noon sun feel.  Good for bathroom faux skylights and reading lights.
5100 - 6500K bulbs - Bluish.  Great for growing plants!  Aquatic gardeners use these colors for planted fish tanks.
10,000 - 30,000 K bulbs - Actinct bulbs for reef fishkeepers.  Simulates sun filtered through fathoms of water.

Most people will appreciate the CF twist bulbs a lot more if they are in a fixture or under a shade.  The light is far less harsh that way and most would never notice the difference if you choose an appropriate color.

Buy good quality bulbs too.  I have only had one failure and it was with a cheapo.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:46:17 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Watts aren't a measure of brightness.  Look for lumens.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:46:31 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

The only advantage is that they don't output much heat, so I stay comfortable when having to read underneath one.

Your 73w incandecent only puts out 23w of light too, but you pay for 50w of heat as well.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Watts aren't a measure of brightness.  Look for lumens.

COMPARE lumens, but watts is a perfectly good way to measure light output.  The problem is that the standard 100w incandesant bulb only puts out about 26w of light and 74w of heat.  A 27w CF bulb will put out 26w of light and 1w of heat.

The standard must be the same.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:50:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your 73w incandecent only puts out 23w of light too, but you pay for 50w of heat as well.

Yeah, but I end up having to switch on more of them because each one isn't as bright.

I really wish they'd come up with 50W CF lamps that equal 150+W incandescent lumen output.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:00:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Go for the ones that say they reproduce natural light.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:11:00 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but I end up having to switch on more of them because each one isn't as bright.

I really wish they'd come up with 50W CF lamps that equal 150+W incandescent lumen output.

They do better than that.  I have 3, 42w bulbs in my garage that have as much light output as a 200w incandecant.  I do have a couple 36w bulbs in my basement that replaced the old 150w firebulbs...

Besides, you don't have to turn on any extra lights.  They have the SAME LIGHT OUTPUT!  Maybe you used a cheap crappy bulb.  1w in a CF bulb = 4.5w in a regular bulb.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:12:10 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Go for the ones that say they reproduce natural light.

Sunlight bulbs are FAR too cool for most home uses.  Go with bulbs 2700 K for warm light or 3000-3200 K for cool white.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:23:28 PM EDT
[#34]

The old or cheap type fluorescents produce a greenish color. You can see that sometimes looking in office buildings at night.

Full Spectrum lights produce the equivalent of daylight at 12 noon. That's the best light for color accuracy. They are available in both incandescent and fluorescent.

The longest running light bulb is here: www.energyquest.ca.gov/time_machine/centennial_lightbulb.html
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:43:09 PM EDT
[#35]
I use several in areas that require security lights or where I do not need bright light quickly.  They last forever and my electric bills have dropped as well.  Switching to better lights and replacing two small window a/c's with central air actually cut my electric bill about 15% in the summer.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:46:20 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I use them for outside lighting that is on from dusk to dawn.

Yeah, same here.  I got tired of replacing the regular bulb every 2 months or so.  The new ones cost me more ($3 per bulb) but I haven't had to replace them yet!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top