Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2005 7:51:40 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:55:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't hear Cisco without thinking about this Simpsons clip.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:01:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Could you give more details?

MCSE for NT4 but have extensive 2K and 2K3
AD, disaster recovery

CCNA but expired.

But need more info
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:03:28 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Could you give more details?

MCSE for NT4 but have extensive 2K and 2K3
AD, disaster recovery

CCNA but expired.

But need more info

+1
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:17:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Hi! I'm a security engineer. Please pay me lots of money to move to Texas

-Fox
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:25:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I can't hear Cisco without thinking about this Simpsons clip.  Sorry.
www.simpsons-trivia.net/images/screen_shots/ss_cisco.JPG

It's always the Simpsons with you, ISN'T IT!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:34:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:40:57 AM EDT
[#7]
<--- Gainfully employed (and busy) as a Voice Network Engineer deploying Cisco AVVID solutions all over the country, with arguably the finest Cisco Partner in existance. I primarily implement Cisco ICM/IPCC Enterprise and IPCC Express call centers. When I'm not doing that, I'm setting up Call Manager and Unity servers.

I'll help in any way I can, but I'm not moving or quitting my gig. I can hook you up with our Cisco Practice VP, who I'm sure would be more than willing to send an army of our finest (including me) down south for projects.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:48:45 AM EDT
[#8]
TAG!

Will get a resume out asap. Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:53:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Tempting.

I'm a MCSE: Security, Messaging (2000-2003), CCNA, CISSP, Security +, Certified Ethical Hacker.

I've done everything from architect AD-domains, including Exchange infrastructure, internet connectivity, firewalls, and server and desktop engineering/support.  

Currently, I'm tasked as a Security consultant for a Fortune 25 company, performing risk assesments, risk mitigation and contingency planning.

What's the pay range?  I'd need about $150 per hour (if a contractor), to consider leaving my current gig.  FTE pay would need to range in the 200K range with bennefits.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:03:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Are you open to using the services of another Cisco and Microsoft partner to ease the burden?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:09:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Clicking this link may crash firefox

Seriously. I live in VA. I have 7+ years experience in IT and currently work in the computer security feild.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:11:40 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

-Foxxz

It does, but why on earth would you post that in this thread?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:13:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Foxxz

Because while all that link does is cause a crash the technique will eventually lead to an exploit that will compromise your computer. Security

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:13:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Interesting, resume sent.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:14:49 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Foxxz

Because while all that link does is cause a crash the technique will eventually lead to an exploit that will compromise your computer. Security

-Foxxz

Ahhh, I see. Is it a buffer overflow exploit of some sort? (I'm a voice guy, not a security dude).
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:17:07 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Foxxz

-Foxxz

Ahhh, I see. Is it a buffer overflow exploit of some sort? (I'm a voice guy, not a security dude).

That's what someone will eventually turn it into. By the way, is your /24 for the TV show or a class C network

-Foxxz

ETA-Its not really a buffer overflow, but it will allow you to inject executable code into memory.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:19:18 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Foxxz

-Foxxz

That's what someone will eventually turn it into. By the way, is your /24 for the TV show or a class C network

-Foxxz

A little of both. I install the same phones (Cisco 7940/7960/7970's) seen on the show.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:22:31 AM EDT
[#18]

A little of both. I install the same phones (Cisco 7940/7960/7970's) seen on the show.

Its self defending! Couldn't help it

I deal with alot of cisco security products. They suck. I have a list of reasons, but I refuse to tell you for my network's safety.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:16:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:18:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:22:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:22:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:28:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:47:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:09:48 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
TAG!

Will get a resume out asap. Thanks for the heads up.

Did I get your resume?

You got mine, haven't heard back from you since then.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:17:18 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tempting.

I'm a MCSE: Security, Messaging (2000-2003), CCNA, CISSP, Security +, Certified Ethical Hacker.

I've done everything from architect AD-domains, including Exchange infrastructure, internet connectivity, firewalls, and server and desktop engineering/support.  

Currently, I'm tasked as a Security consultant for a Fortune 25 company, performing risk assesments, risk mitigation and contingency planning.

What's the pay range?  I'd need about $150 per hour (if a contractor), to consider leaving my current gig.  FTE pay would need to range in the 200K range with bennefits.

That pay range is a bit out of scope. Can you imagine what I'd have to charge my customers to cover your salary and loaded costs?

My highest charge to a customer is for dual CCIE'd guys and it's $200/hr.

Good luck with your career!

Funny, but my current employer doesn't think it's out of scope.    How many people do you know that can single handedly architect an Active Directory infrastructure, including exchange, network design, firewalls, server/desktop engineering, application deployment, and do it with security in mind?  We're lucky if we make a job offer to one out of 1500 applicants.

Supply and demand.  If you are looking for quality engineers, and need them immediately, you need to be willing to pay for it.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:30:35 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tempting.

That pay range is a bit out of scope. Can you imagine what I'd have to charge my customers to cover your salary and loaded costs?

Funny, but my current employer doesn't think it's out of scope.    How many people do you know that can single handedly architect an Active Directory infrastructure, including exchange, network design, firewalls, server/desktop engineering, application deployment, and do it with security in mind?  We're lucky if we make a job offer to one out of 1500 applicants.

Supply and demand.  If you are looking for quality engineers, and need them immediately, you need to be willing to pay for it.  

Well in his case, you would be a billable engineer performing work for other customers. If he paid you $200/hr, he would have to charge the customer AT LEAST $300/hr to make any money himself. Are you a consultant, or do you work in somebody's IT/MIS/IS department?

My work gets billed out at $175-$200/hr depending on the project. They don't pay me that, though. I mean Christ, at $200/hr and a 40 hour week, that's $32,000 a MONTH and $384,000 a year. I doubt that even the president of my company makes that kind of bread.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:36:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:02:29 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tempting.

Well in his case, you would be a billable engineer performing work for other customers. If he paid you $200/hr, he would have to charge the customer AT LEAST $300/hr to make any money himself. Are you a consultant, or do you work in somebody's IT/MIS/IS department?

My work gets billed out at $175-$200/hr depending on the project. They don't pay me that, though. I mean Christ, at $200/hr and a 40 hour week, that's $32,000 a MONTH and $384,000 a year. I doubt that even the president of my company makes that kind of bread.

I'm a consultant.  Most consultants on the team bill at nearly $200 per hour.   I haven't looked at the government fillings in a couple of years, but as for the president of the company, I believe ours made somewhere in the neighborhood of 52 million after he cashed in some of his shares.  His base salay is in the 12 million range.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:25:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:38:10 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I just passed my CCIE voice written test.  Does that count?  Also a CCNP and CCDA.  I have been a novell ECNE, ECNI and a MS MCT.  I work with cisco avvid, VPN, switching/routing and WAN technology every day...

16 years in the IT world.

I've built 2 complete ISP's from the ground up over the years.  

I'm also a part time deputy sheriff.

Very impressive. I don't think most people here know how big of a deal that is. When you've passed the lab, you walk on water in my book. There are VERY few CCIE voice guys walking around. Congrats! Hell, we'd hire ya.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:00:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:53:54 PM EDT
[#33]
All this talk about what CERTs someone has doesnt mean squat !!

Most are book smart, pass a one time kiss ass test but then cannot get in front of the customer,
their communications skills suck, they are not organized and dont follow up.

I hire guys that kick ass and show me so, anyone can fool you in an interview but does this guy get the job done and work effectively with a team and by himself.

You do get what you pay for.

Now a days since the bottom fell out these companies try to get over on the guys that get the job done !
They dont want to pay squat but want the best guys. They dont even call folks back because the good ol'
boy network is in play.

You can tell who are the best engineers, they dont put all their cert stats on their emails.
Read their resume on exactly what they did and ask them about it.

My 2 cents in this crazy world.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:03:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Wow, we've got some major computing power here.

Good luck on any new opportunities.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:15:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Could you describe the HIPAA security job a little bit more?  I am currently a parttime PACS admin for a radiology group in CA and I am thinking about moving out of CA.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:56:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:16:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Still looking for IT guys? I'm cisco certified!!
let me know
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:01:58 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tempting.

You aren't going to find many people out there who are going to pay you $150hr (300k+ per year!).

Technology is easy.  I built secure networks for the military at a theater level (J-6) for 6 years, taught networking as an instructor and have done independant contracting from time to time.  I work for a fortune 50 company and have built and designed corporate ATM AAL1-5 networks for voice and data (DS0-OC-12), FRF8 Frame to ATM, PEAP and LEAP based Wi-Fi deployments, VoIP networks using BCM and Call Manager, have unix sysadmin skills (DNS, sendmail, apache, perl, etc)built AD networks (a long time ago) and don't make half of what you are talking about.  I'm at the top of the range for what I do....

Don't confuse bill-able rate with salary or hourly wages.  I'm currently managing a Security Monitoring group, Incident Response and forensics.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:51:15 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tempting.

You aren't going to find many people out there who are going to pay you $150hr (300k+ per year!).

Technology is easy.  I built secure networks for the military at a theater level (J-6) for 6 years, taught networking as an instructor and have done independant contracting from time to time.  I work for a fortune 50 company and have built and designed corporate ATM AAL1-5 networks for voice and data (DS0-OC-12), FRF8 Frame to ATM, PEAP and LEAP based Wi-Fi deployments, VoIP networks using BCM and Call Manager, have unix sysadmin skills (DNS, sendmail, apache, perl, etc)built AD networks (a long time ago) and don't make half of what you are talking about.  I'm at the top of the range for what I do....

Don't confuse bill-able rate with salary or hourly wages.  I'm currently managing a Security Monitoring group, Incident Response and forensics.

Sounds like we do some of the same stuff.  However, I do it for a Fortune 25 company.

My main tasks deal with security consulting for all IT infrastructure projects.  This includes network, server/mainframe, as well as code level security.  Due to our industry, we are mandated to perform risk assesments on EVERY project, and detail those risks in an executive summary which needs to be signed off by the appropriate parties.

As of right now, I'm doing a complete and overall evalution of the current desktop operating system deployment, wireless LAN implementation, Single sign-on authentication infrastructure that involves both Active Directory and LDAP components for internal and internet users, a re-evaluation of allowable file transfer protocols within the enterprise (everything from FTP to NDM and those that are even encapsulated within IPSEC or SSL tunnels) for confidential and restricted data, re-eval of the HIDS/NIDS implementation, and the real big project is a soup to nuts evaluation of a recent acquisition (Exchange/blackberry/IM/Paging/Sendmail/SMTP connectors, Active Directory, Telcom, Desktop, Physical security compliance, firewall implementation, extranet connectivity, encryption methodology and implementation, DNS, and a whole bunch of other crap).

As I said before, most people in my group bill out at around $200 per hour.  I've been here for nearly 7 years, as well as doing consulting on the side.  You may not find the pay on par with what you have seen, and I may just be fortunate.  However, I've paid my dues over time, and I'm not going to take a job that pays less than what I make now.

So, considering my experience and skill set, current pay range, and the fact that I happen to already live in one of the aforementioned locations of interest, I examined what it would take to make me leave what I'm doing currently.  If he can't, or doesn't want, to pay that.  I'm fine with that.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:55:26 PM EDT
[#40]
This thread is annoying.  You guys are all s00per 3l!t3.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:05:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Remember, part of getting a cert is being able to spew buzzwords and acronyms.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:37:16 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Remember, part of getting a cert is being able to spew buzzwords and acronyms.  

I see you haven't stepped up to the plate. I'll ping you later about that. Getting certs is part of a comprehensive strategic initiative, allowing me to better identify low hanging fruit, and implement best of breed enterprise class back office applications.

It's all ball bearings, these days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top