Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2005 10:51:01 PM EDT
Use it as is. Change it as you see fit. Use it as inspiration to write your own... I don't care. Just as long as you E-mail them NOW!!!

www.nrahq.org/contact.asp

secure.nraila.org/Contact.aspx

As a long time member of the NRA, I am greatly alarmed at the unabashed & illegal gun confiscation that is taking place in New Orleans (in the aftermath of hurricane Katrina), and I demand the NRA use it’s considerable political clout to put this practice to an immediate end!

American citizens are having their legally owned firearms confiscated from them by armed police & National Guard. Martial law has not been declared in the city, thus there is NO legal justification for these actions! Law-abiding AMERICANS are being denied their right to bear arms and their right to self-defense at the point of the government’s gun, and this must cease NOW!!!

I implore you… please use every penny & resource at the NRA’s disposal to see that the raping of our 2nd. Amendment ends now & that those responsible for these unconstitutional actions pay a hefty price!

I look forward to your reply.

Thank you,

NYPatriot

Member # 1234567890

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:04:34 PM EDT
[#1]
My wife & I both sent one.  Along with 20+ others to senators, congressmen, ect.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:08:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Bump for the day crew.

Let's get on this folks!!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:15:04 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks for letting me steal that. I was planning on writing one after my job interview, but that made it easier, and was probably much better worded than I would have come up with.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:21:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Free BTT.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:25:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Email already sent earlier this morning. Thanks for posting.

BTT
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:25:37 AM EDT
[#6]
This is the text of my thread to the NRA that I sent them this morning.  Additionally I have contacted my Congressman and Senators voicing my outrage at the firearms confiscation taking place in NOLA.

Gentlemen, please explain why the NRA has remained silent on the subject of firearms confiscation ordered by government officials in New Orleans Louisiana?  Why are people having their Second Amendment and Fourth Amendment rights violated while the nation’s premier advocate for firearm owners says nothing?   As a Life Member since 1971 I am extremely disappointed in your lack of response.  Are you a voice and a guardian of our Constitutional Rights or have you descended into the realm of fat cat Washington lobbyists with no passion for your cause unless you’ve had your palm crossed recently?

Gentlemen:  DO SOMETHING NOW BEFORE THIS BECOMES THE GOVERNMENT’S SOP.   AS AN ORIGANIZATION WE NEED TO DEMONSTRATE THAT THE SECOND AMENDMENT TO THE CONSTITUTION CANNOT BE SUBJECT TO THE WHIMS OF ELECTED OFFICIALS!

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

"Whenever you force good people to jump through hoops before they exercise their rights, you give rogue bureaucrats a chance to harass decent citizens.   We have a Bill of Rights because government does not always act in our best interest."  - Larry Pratt

MY EXPECTATION IS THAT YOU WILL VOCALLY AND BY ALL LEGAL MEANS NECESSARY PUT FORTH EFFORTS TO ENSURE THAT THE CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS OF ALL AMERICANS TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS WILL NOT BE FURTHER INFRINGED UPON.  IN SHORT GENTLEMEN:  GET OFF YOUR BUTTS AND GET TO WORK!

As NYPatriot indicated above:  Feel free to use my letter as you see fit.  However make sure you contact the NRA and voice your concerns. JUST DO IT!  DO IT NOW!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:31:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Tag, gonna email them tonight and also see if the ILA has any news up...
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I've been on the phone with NRA-ILA this morning and both my Federal Reps and Senators. The NOLA PoPo is backing off the forced evac crap in the new conference on now... The NRA lady I talked with said they're trying to get substantiated evidence of actual confiscation and are monitoring the situation closely. I told her these folks need help NOW!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:41:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Done. Thanks for the template. I love cut&paste. They are sure going to get a lot of e-mails from NYPatriot.

Quoted:
Member # 1234567890

You have a pretty weird member number...

Thanks NYP... good job on putting this out. I'll probably send the same letter to JPFO... they'll probably jump all over this with their crack team of lawyers.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:43:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the starter letter.

Email sent.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:34:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Sent already; but keep hitting them... not just the NRA either... your Congressmen and Senators need to know about this and know that it is absolutely unacceptable not only in these special circumstances; but especially in these types of circumstances.

Here is my draft:

"On September 8, 2005, ABC News broadcast a report stating that New Orleans Police were forcibly confiscating firearms from peacable citizens in the hurricane affected area. These same citizens had been relying on these firearms for protection and offered no threat to police; but were forcibly disarmed and then released back into the affected area without the means to protect family or property. As a member who wants to know that his money is being put to good use, I want to know what the NRA intends to do about this gross violation of our Second Amendment rights and what pressure they can bring at both the federal and local level. I am willing to assist in this effort in whatever way I can."

With a little modification, the same letter can be sent to your elected reps as well.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:37:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:44:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Good letters fella's. I just sent mine.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:46:49 AM EDT
[#14]
lets get this tacked
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:52:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Sent letters to all my states Senators, congressmen, and the NRA this morning.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:00:05 AM EDT
[#16]
tag for home
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:14:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Same here

Quoted:
Sent letters to all my states Senators, congressmen, and the NRA this morning.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:49:08 AM EDT
[#18]
I sent one last night.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:41:48 AM EDT
[#19]

Thank you for contacting us.
I have forwarded this to the NRA-ILA for review.
Thank you very much for your support and please feel free to contact us
if you ever need anything else!
Best Regards,
Morgan
NRA Member Communications
11250 Waples Mill Road
Fairfax, VA 22030
www.nra.org
E-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 1(800)672-3888
P.S. If you need to contact us again concerning this, please make sure you
include
this and any previous correspondence. Some Internet Providers, such as AOL for
example,
automatically cut out previous messages when you reply to a message.
This will help insure a quick answer to your inquiry. Thanks again!
P.P.S. Please visit our online store and check out the newest NRA Fraternal
merchandise available!
You can start shopping right now at: http://www.nrastore.com/nra/
Enjoy and thanks again for your support!

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:44:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Heres what I got back.

Thank you for contacting the NRA-ILA. Numerous media sources are reporting on an apparent campaign by New Orleans city authorities to confiscate lawfully-owned firearms from people in the city.  Louisiana statute does grant the government, during a state of emergency, broad powers in regulating and controlling firearms.

However, we have seen not just with Hurricane Katrina, but other similar situations, that when police are unable to control the criminal element, people turn to the one freedom that protects all others-the Second Amendment.

While one can certainly understand the dire predicaments of all those affected by Hurricane Katrina, as we have learned throughout history, campaigns to disarm the lawful do nothing to disarm the criminal.  And in truth, these restrictions make citizens less safe.  Despite the valiant efforts of many law enforcement officers and rescue workers, too many of those left in the wake of Katrina are ultimately responsible for their own security and safety and that of their families and loved ones; especially when communication is virtually non-existent and police can't be quickly summoned to respond to calls for help.  At these times, lawful gun ownership is paramount to personal safety.

Of course, the entire situation in New Orleans is constantly in flux.  But rest assured NRA is monitoring this situation very closely and will address any activity by the government that unduly infringes upon the rights of lawful gun owners at the appropriate time. As we learn more, we will report to our members accordingly.  In the interim, however, we join with all Americans in offering our thoughts, prayers, and assistance to the victims and survivors of this terrible natural disaster.

Sincerely,

Amanda Millward

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:47:51 AM EDT
[#21]
From this thread:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=388026&page=7

I just called both Senators and my congressman.

I also called the NRA-ILA at this number 1-800-392-8683.

Hit option four at the prompt to speak to an NRA-ILA representative.
I had to hold for about 5 minutes before someone answered. I spoke to a polite
young lady named Amanda. I told her I was horrified and shocked at the trampling
of the bill of rights in NOLA. I was disgusted at guns being confiscated in the private
homes of law abiding citizens, and that the images of M-16's being pointed at citizens in their homes was one I never thought I would see here in America.

Her response was that all she could say at this time was that the NRA was doing research on
what EXACTLY is happening. Are all guns being confiscated? Which departments, agencies, and
military units are doing the confiscating? And WHO gave the order to confiscate
firearms?

She said there was going to be a very high level meeting today at NRA headquarters
to determine the proper course of action.

I expressed to her, in no uncertain terms, that law abiding gun owners in this country
want to see a VERY STRONG response from the NRA, and that we want to see it quickly.
As of right now, there is only a small caption on the NRA's website about firearm confiscation.
I told Amanda that it should be in large, bold, red letters all over the main page.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#22]
how the fuck is confiscation not "undue infringement?"
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:59:19 AM EDT
[#23]
These are the replys I received from NRA /HQ and the NRA/ILA this afternoon:

From NRA/ILA

ILA-Contact  <[email protected]> to me
 More options   1:23 pm (26 minutes ago)

Numerous media sources are reporting on an apparent campaign by New Orleans city authorities to confiscate lawfully-owned firearms from people in the city.  Louisiana statute does grant the government, during a state of emergency, broad powers in regulating and controlling firearms.

However, we have seen not just with Hurricane Katrina, but other similar situations, that when police are unable to control the criminal element, people turn to the one freedom that protects all others-the Second Amendment.

While one can certainly understand the dire predicaments of all those affected by Hurricane Katrina, as we have learned throughout history, campaigns to disarm the lawful do nothing to disarm the criminal.  And in truth, these restrictions make citizens less safe.  Despite the valiant efforts of many law enforcement officers and rescue workers, too many of those left in the wake of Katrina are ultimately responsible for their own security and safety and that of their families and loved ones; especially when communication is virtually non-existent and police can't be quickly summoned to respond to calls for help.  At these times, lawful gun ownership is paramount to personal safety.

Of course, the entire situation in New Orleans is constantly in flux.  But rest assured NRA is monitoring this situation very closely and will address any activity by the government that unduly infringes upon the rights of lawful gun owners at the appropriate time. As we learn more, we will report to our members accordingly.  In the interim, however, we join with all Americans in offering our thoughts, prayers, and assistance to the victims and survivors of this terrible natural disaster.

Sincerely,

Katrina Ruminski
NRA-ILA

This one is from NRA/HQ

ILA-Contact  <[email protected]> to me
 More options   1:45 pm (9 minutes ago)

Thank you for contacting the NRA-ILA. Numerous media sources are reporting on an apparent campaign by New Orleans city authorities to confiscate lawfully-owned firearms from people in the city.  Louisiana statute does grant the government, during a state of emergency, broad powers in regulating and controlling firearms.

Sincerely,

Amanda Millward

Contact type: Refuse To Be A Victim

As you can see it's the same letter.  I realize that each inquiry cannot be individually answered, however, I called after receiving the replys and talked with a young lady at the NRA/ILA.  She said they had been swamped with calls all day and that this issue was getting top priority.  She indicated the NRA was going to issue a public statement shortly, and the NRA Leadership was taking this issue very seriously.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:07:41 PM EDT
[#24]
text of my e-mail to NRA about this situation

what is the NRA doing about the abuse of our 2nd Ammendment right in New Orleans? Right now the NOPD is actively disarming law adibing citizens whilst leaving criminals and "private security" guards armed. If this were an abuse of the 1st ammendment the ACLU would have a team of lawyers there to deal with this. I expect serious action from NRA on this or next time the authorities will be even quicker to try and disarm law-abiding citizens.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:27:49 PM EDT
[#25]
letter sent.

Bomber
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:31:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Letter sent also
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:36:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Use it as is. Change it as you see fit. Use it as inspiration to write your own... I don't care. Just as long as you E-mail them NOW!!!

www.nrahq.org/contact.asp

secure.nraila.org/Contact.aspx

As a long time member of the NRA, I am greatly alarmed at the unabashed & illegal gun confiscation that is taking place in New Orleans (in the aftermath of hurricane Katrina), and I demand the NRA use it’s considerable political clout to put this practice to an immediate end!

American citizens are having their legally owned firearms confiscated from them by armed police & National Guard. Martial law has not been declared in the city, thus there is NO legal justification for these actions! Law-abiding AMERICANS are being denied their right to bear arms and their right to self-defense at the point of the government’s gun, and this must cease NOW!!!

I implore you… please use every penny & resource at the NRA’s disposal to see that the raping of our 2nd. Amendment ends now & that those responsible for these unconstitutional actions pay a hefty price!

I look forward to your reply.

Thank you,

NYPatriot

Member # 1234567890

I changed your wording around a bit just to make it appear it wasn't a copy & paste job (even though it is).
My e-mail has been sent.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:47:49 PM EDT
[#28]
got another reply, it's that same form letter from Amanda
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:58:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Is anyone in NO resisting??
Just curious since their seem to always be so many keyboard commandos who claim the old, "Pry it from my cold dead fingers." cliche.
I would expect even more of the die hards (pun intended) in the deep south. Not even one resister??? It would be great news coverage. Another Ruby Ridge victory for us prolly.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:02:47 PM EDT
[#30]
"I am writing in regards to the fact that all firearms are being confiscated in New Orleans.  This is it, what the NRA has been founded to fight against.  So far I only see a single news blurb on the ILA web site.  What is the NRA going to do now that there is no 2nd Amendment when the people of New Orleans need it the most? What are WE going to do?"

-Me
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:03:12 PM EDT
[#31]
tag
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:36:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Looks like I got the standard canned response a number of other people received as well.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:07:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Here's the response I received at 3:31pm:

Numerous media sources are reporting on an apparent campaign by New Orleans city authorities to confiscate lawfully-owned firearms from people in the city.  Louisiana statute does grant the government, during a state of emergency, broad powers in regulating and controlling firearms.

Sincerely,

Katrina Ruminski
NRA-ILA

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:23:42 PM EDT
[#34]

Thanks for the use of your letter.

Sent them an email, and my wife, who is also a member will probably do the same tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:44:00 PM EDT
[#36]
My response to the milquetoast mass mailing that went out from the NRA-ILA...

Thank you for the quick reply. I only wish that the NRA's attitude toward this grave infringement on our rights was a lot more forceful and proactive.

This is without a doubt the most serious infringement on the right to bear arms that I have ever seen. In fact, this may be the most serious threat to our basic liberties that I have witnessed in my lifetime.

The NRA seems to be taking a half-hearted "wait & see" approach to this situation, and that simply will not do! This is where the rubber meets the road... it doesn't get any more serious than CONFISCATION, and the NRA needs to take this matter very seriously!  

Thus, as a long time dues paying member, I once again demand that the NRA use it's considerable political and legal resources to stop the confiscation of privately owned firearms NOW!

Thanks again, and I look forward to your reply.

NYPatriot

Member # 1234567890

Again, use it however you see fit!

Keep up the pressure people...  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:30:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:54:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Bump for the day crew!
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:11:28 AM EDT
[#39]
we'll also need to bump this for the weekday crew. some of us have lives and actually get out on the weekends!

sent my emails to the nra, nra-ila, both sens, my rep, and the white house.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:24:53 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
we'll also need to bump this for the weekday crew. some of us have lives and actually get out on the weekends!

sent my emails to the nra, nra-ila, both sens, my rep, and the white house.

I understand what you're saying, but this definitely doesn't need the weekend off.  The NRA needs to be outraged and at the very least be demanding an official statement from the Gov.  The only thing that may make them do that is a flood of correspondence for members and potential members.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:39:16 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
My response to the milquetoast mass mailing that went out from the NRA-ILA...

Thank you for the quick reply. I only wish that the NRA's attitude toward this grave infringement on our rights was a lot more forceful and proactive.

This is without a doubt the most serious infringement on the right to bear arms that I have ever seen. In fact, this may be the most serious threat to our basic liberties that I have witnessed in my lifetime.

The NRA seems to be taking a half-hearted "wait & see" approach to this situation, and that simply will not do! This is where the rubber meets the road... it doesn't get any more serious than CONFISCATION, and the NRA needs to take this matter very seriously!  

Thus, as a long time dues paying member, I once again demand that the NRA use it's considerable political and legal resources to stop the confiscation of privately owned firearms NOW!Allowing this to continue will only pave the road for future attempts by the anti-gun groups. The situation in New Orleans is showing the anti-gun groups that those who are sworn to protect and uphold the constitution, themselves citizens of this Republic, will simply follow the orders of tyranny and trample the freedoms of their fellow Americans. It may not be today, or next week, but past events have shown that once they realize the possibility exists they will continue to undermine the foundation of this country. Perhaps this will become more clear when Hillary Clinton becomes president in 2008.

So rather than simply adding mayor Ray Nagin and Governor Kathleen Blanco to the America's 1st Freedom Ban-damonium  list for the next two month, perhaps taking a more forward and proactive approach would have more positive results. Watching this continue without taking any action makes you, the loudest voice of the Second Amendment and the advocate for many gun owners without a voice, an accessory not a spectator.

Thanks again, and I look forward to your reply.

pathfinder74

Member # 8675309

Added a little to it... thanks again NYP
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:27:45 AM EDT
[#42]
tag
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:13:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Done in triplicate / different versions / sent at different times of the day and on different days.

Keep it up!

(one version)

Sir,
   During the aftermath of Hurricane Ivan I depended on my own protection. I had to stand vigil over my property in Grande Lagoon with a firearm.  I speak from hardcore experience that my weapon was my  leverage for safety and peace when nothing but destruction was abound. The local LEOs applauded my efforts to help myself and left me alone to help my neighbors. Now, take a look in New Orleans...
   What are you doing about the abuse of our 2nd Ammendment right in New Orleans?  I realize that the area is not your responsibility, but how can we allow the confiscation of weapons that people are depending on for protection? It has already be demonstrated that people cannot depend on the local, state or federal government for total help during times like this.
 Right now the NOPD and NATIONAL GUARD of all groups are actively disarming law adibing citizens whilst leaving criminals and "private security" guards armed. If this were an abuse of the 1st ammendment the ACLU would have a team of lawyers there to deal with this.
 Have you seen the latest footage out of that area? Citizens are being intimidated, weapons confiscated, rounded up, and  treated like 3rd world country refuse.
  Remaining silent and doing nothing is the equivalent to agreeing to these tatics. Therfore I am making my thoughts known to you, my elected US Congressman, that I am disgusted and disappointed with what is going on. I expect nothing less than serious action from our elected leaders to stop this today.The Bill of Rights has been used as a door mat and THAT IS UNACCEPTABLE.
 Sir, please step up on this issue today, and let it be known that the citizens of North West Florida will not be treated like this during the next disaster. Let it be known that you will not stand for this treatment of ANY US CITIZEN.

Sincere Regards.
Mudflapper
Pensacola FL

cc Joe Scarborough
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:55:30 PM EDT
[#44]
I sent one on their web site....

Why has the NRA sat silent while citizen's are disarmed in New Orleans?  Do not insult me by saying you are "studying the situation".  I never want to see video like I saw.  You should be in court stopping this unconstitutional behavior!  If the NRA can't or worse yet, won't stop this from happening, ask yourself, what good are you?

I'm sure I'll get the same canned answer.

Gary
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:57:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Got this response this morning... may be a dupe. There's so many NRA threads when you do a search it's hard to tell which thread is actually being read.

Thank you for contacting the NRA-ILA. In regards to your concerns, please read the following statements from Wayne LaPierre and Chris W. Cox:

National Rifle Association leader Wayne LaPierre slammed New Orleans authorities Monday for seizing legal firearms from lawful residents.

"What we’ve seen in Louisiana - the breakdown of law and order in the aftermath of disaster - is exactly the kind of situation where the Second Amendment was intended to allow citizens to protect themselves, " LaPierre said.

"When law enforcement isn’t available, Americans turn to the one right that protects all the others - the right to keep and bear arms," LaPierre said. "This attempt to repeal the Second Amendment should be condemned."

The New York Times reported last Thursday that no civilians in New Orleans will be allowed to have guns, quoting the superintendent of police that "only law enforcement are allowed to have weapons."

A Louisiana state statute allows the chief law enforcement officer to "regulate possession" of firearms during declared emergencies. "But regulate doesn’t mean confiscate," said Chris W. Cox, the NRA’s chief lobbyist.

"Authorities are using that statute to do what the looters and criminals could not: disarm the law-abiding citizens of New Orleans trying to protect their homes and families," Cox said.

"The NRA will not stand idly by while guns are confiscated from law-abiding people who’re trying to defend themselves," he said.

"We’re exploring every legal option available to protect the rights of lawful people in New Orleans," Cox said, "and we’re taking steps to overturn such laws in every state where they exist."

"Local authorities in New Orleans are turning nature’s assault on human life into man’s assault on human rights," LaPierre said. "Four million NRA members intend to stop this unconstitutional power grab."

Sincerely,

Amanda Millward

My only question is to whom and.or where did they make this statement? Did they use on of the cable news networks like FNC or CNN or did they make this statement in print in some obscure conservative periodical or on their website? I don't remember hearing about them being on the news so I assume it was basically unheard by anyone who should have actually heard it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:47:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Here is what I got and my reply.....these guys are weak IMHO.

Dear Amanda,

I expect the NRA-ILA to take an aggressive stance in defense of our 2nd amendment rights, not to sit passively by and just "monitor the situation".  That is OUTRAGEOUS!  I am not paying dues to you to sit and monitor.  I could get two college kids with a laptop to do that.  Your response to this situation has me questioning whether you are the right organization to be out front protecting our 2nd amendment rights.  

This was not your finest hour.  

Regards,
Gary
Membership Number: xxxxxxxxxxx
9/14/2005

In a message dated 9/12/2005 9:27:21 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, [email protected] writes:

Sincerely,

Amanda Millward

Contact Information
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
First Name: Gary
Last Name:
Address:
City:
State:
Zip:
Phone:
Fax:
Membership Number: xxxxxxxx
Email: [email protected]

comments:
Why has the NRA sat silent while citizen's are disarmed in New Orleans?  Do not insult me by saying you are "studying the situation".  I never want to see video like I saw.  You should be in court stopping this unconstitutional behavior!  If the NRA can't or worse yet, won't stop this from happening, ask yourself, what good are you?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:15:49 PM EDT
[#47]
So, in the case of a disaster/federal emergency in NO,..."controlling and regulating" firearms = confiscation???   There's a case for John Roberts...interpreting the broad term "controlling and regulating"as it applies here. I hope all those folks sue the state bigtime.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:27:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Just received this in my email....... Why has no one sought injuctive relief?  This is clearly a constitutional conflict.  This could be the case we need to establish the true boundries of the 2nd amendment.  If the 2nd is an individual right, protected by the US constitution, how can a State abridge this right?  Some would of course use that tired old stand-by....."you're not allowed to cry fire in a crowded theater are you?  My answer...no...but I am aloud to use my freedom of speach to call the fire company on the phone, or my freedom of assembly to exit the theater, or my freedom of religion to pray that everyone makes it out safely.  

The proper analogy is to suspend freedom of the press when it doesn't agree with the government on a contriversial matter.  A right is not a right if it can't be used when it's needed the most.  I can't believe we are the only ones who see this?
Thank you for contacting the NRA-ILA. In regards to your concerns, please read the following statements from Wayne LaPierre and Chris W. Cox:

National Rifle Association leader Wayne LaPierre slammed New Orleans authorities Monday for seizing legal firearms from lawful residents.

"What we’ve seen in Louisiana - the breakdown of law and order in the aftermath of disaster - is exactly the kind of situation where the Second Amendment was intended to allow citizens to protect themselves, " LaPierre said.

"When law enforcement isn’t available, Americans turn to the one right that protects all the others - the right to keep and bear arms," LaPierre said. "This attempt to repeal the Second Amendment should be condemned."

The New York Times reported last Thursday that no civilians in New Orleans will be allowed to have guns, quoting the superintendent of police that "only law enforcement are allowed to have weapons."

A Louisiana state statute allows the chief law enforcement officer to "regulate possession" of firearms during declared emergencies. "But regulate doesn’t mean confiscate," said Chris W. Cox, the NRA’s chief lobbyist.

"Authorities are using that statute to do what the looters and criminals could not: disarm the law-abiding citizens of New Orleans trying to protect their homes and families," Cox said.

"The NRA will not stand idly by while guns are confiscated from law-abiding people who’re trying to defend themselves," he said.

"We’re exploring every legal option available to protect the rights of lawful people in New Orleans," Cox said, "and we’re taking steps to overturn such laws in every state where they exist."

"Local authorities in New Orleans are turning nature’s assault on human life into man’s assault on human rights," LaPierre said. "Four million NRA members intend to stop this unconstitutional power grab."

Sincerely,

Amanda Millward

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top