BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2005 10:41:51 PM EDT
Straight from DU:

distantearlywarning  (716 posts)      Sat Sep-03-05 07:35 PM
Response to Original message
34. We bought a gun today.
It scared me a little.

I also felt a profound sense of relief as we were driving away. Much more than I expected to feel. And I also felt a little sadness that I now live in a country where I feel I can no longer rely on my government to protect me. Or maybe more that I feel I might need to protect myself against my government.

It was also a little shocking to me how easy it was to do. In some ways, getting a library card was more time consuming. (Probably not what some of you pacifists here wanted to hear. Sorry!)

We just walked in, held a few guns, talked to the man about our needs, and bought it (a Ruger P89 9mm). Both of us have been reading the manual and will be practicing cleaning it, loading, unloading etc... tonight. I'm going to sign up for range lessons at the end of the month (even though I have shot before, I feel I need a lot more time behind the weapon before I will be competent to use it in a crisis situation.)

I know this post will horrify some of you. I'm sorry about that. And I'm sorry we live in times like these.

I am of the opinion that one should not expect the government to protect them.  If they can, that's great, but the responibility still lies in oneself.

There is the fundamental difference.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:46:05 PM EDT
[#1]

distantearlywarning  (716 posts)      Sat Sep-03-05 07:35 PM
Response to Original message
34. We bought a gun today.
It scared me a little.

I also felt a profound sense of relief as we were driving away. Much more than I expected to feel. And I also felt a little sadness that I now live in a country where I feel I can no longer rely on my government to protect me]. Or maybe more that I feel I might need to protect myself against my government.

It was also a little shocking to me how easy it was to do. In some ways, getting a library card was more time consuming. (Probably not what some of you pacifists here wanted to hear. Sorry!)

We just walked in, held a few guns, talked to the man about our needs, and bought it (a Ruger P89 9mm). Both of us have been reading the manual and will be practicing cleaning it, loading, unloading etc... tonight. I'm going to sign up for range lessons at the end of the month (even though I have shot before, I feel I need a lot more time behind the weapon before I will be competent to use it in a crisis situation.)

I know this post will horrify some of you. I'm sorry about that. And I'm sorry we live in times like these.

What did she expect? No background check?

I would consider my family mostly liberals. But once I took them shooting, they went out the next day and all bought guns.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:46:46 PM EDT
[#2]
That guy will probably get banned. Or deaded.

Rob
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:48:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Straight from DU:
Or maybe more that I feel I might need to protect myself against my government.  

Worthy of the red button as well.  

It's a shitty feeling for all of us.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:54:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Straight from DU:

Jesus...welcome to the primary purpose of the Second Amendment.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:54:53 PM EDT
[#5]
um, what about the 4473?  brady background check?  proper ID?  sounds like some .  like teddy bears are more regulated.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:54:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Wonder if he will sell his gun if a Dem gets into office.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:03:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
um, what about the 4473?  brady background check?  proper ID?  sounds like some .  like teddy bears are more regulated.

It was brought up in a later post when asked about a waiting period:

distantearlywarning  (716 posts)      Sat Sep-03-05 07:49 PM
Response to Reply #43
44. Not in my state, apparently.
They did make me write down some personal information, promise that I wasn't a felon or mentally ill, and then spent 10 minutes on the phone with somebody confirming the facts I gave them.

Aparently it is real difficult to get a library card.  Must be all that PATRIOT act shit the ACLU is always harping about.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:04:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't believe whoever wrote the post probably didn't truly buy a gun. No mention of 4473, or the time required to do the background check, my conclusion, most likely BS!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:10:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like they woke up into what we here like to call the real world.

Also sounds like they are doing everything right as far as getting range lessons.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:15:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Got to give credit.  

+1 one the range lessons.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:17:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I don't believe whoever wrote the post probably didn't truly buy a gun. No mention of 4473, or the time required to do the background check, my conclusion, most likely BS!

Read the post above yours.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:26:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Straight from DU:

I was going to highlight this bit too, but you guys have beaten me to the punch.

What we have in action today, is the exact thing that the Founding Fathers had in mind when they created the 2nd Amendment - protection; from the govt, from your enemies.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:58:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Couple things aren't ringing true.

Most "first time" gun owners (especially libs) don't call guns a "weapon" unless it is preceed by something like "evil assault" or similar.

And most libs live by the belief that guns do all the killing necessary by themselves, no training required. In fact just add water.

And FINALLY most libs and EVERYONE on DUh would never advocate self reliance and not expect to be able to dial 911 in case of emergency.

Sounds more like a deep operative.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:17:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Straight from DU:

I've known that all my life.

However,
Watching a news clip last night of a State's National Guard bang on American Citizens doors, searching their homes, forcing them out, tieing them up, and stealing their guns is a bit disturbing.  

Yea, it's the primary purpose.  
Tell us you're mentally prepared to shoot a fellow American, a National Guardsman or Police Officer tonight.  Knowing they'll take you out soon after?

I'm not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top