Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2005 5:49:59 PM EDT
Buy today's standards, I guess Laissez Firearms would be considered a "Blog"

This really is a blast from the past, but in my early days of the internet I somehow stumbled across his site and got caught up with his entertaining writing style, social commentary, and firearms knowledge that I appreciated and kept track of him over a few years until the end.

The most unfortuneate thing is that he elected to take his own life back in July 2001.  I corresponded with him a few times in regards to the articles he would write, but that was the extent of my contact with him.  Nevertheless, when I learned of his demise...it was quite a shock.

The only reason I am posting this is that yesterday I went through my obscene number of internet bookmarks and cleaned house, so to speak, and I stumbled upon a link to his site which is mysteriously still up and active.  All his articles still seem to be available.

As I have posted in the past in an attempt to draw attention to myself in an all to pathetic fashion, I've been around this board since its early inception of the AR15-L days, which I consider the sole reason I became interested in firearms, which I bring up only because as far as I know, Mark Penman never hung around "these parts" BUT any other long term members still here may have heard of him given the lack of firearms dedicated...or at least themed....sites back in the mid to late 1990's.  I remember him to be an active participant in the rec.guns newsgroup....FWIW.

Here's the link....

www.jtk3.com/laissezfirearm/

Anyone remember this guy?

Well, I do tend to run at the mouth, but I ran across the bookmark and thought I'd bring it up here.

I'm guessing at least a few people here remember him.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:43:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I remember Mark Penman. He was a great author. He was a Libertarian version of Patrick F. McManus and Jeff Cooper rolled into one man. I think he could've been the greatest gun and liberty writer of my generation if he hadn't taken his life. That is why I considered his death to be a tragedy. I was mad at him for doing it and I still don't understand why a man with such a great intellect would kill himself.

John Bergstrom, who used to post his comic strips on Attack Cartoons isn't dead but he's wasting his talents just as badly as Penman wasted his. He hasn't updated his web site in years. His Libertarian man strip is a classic. I found Penman's web site through a link on Bergstrom's site.

Galland
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:49:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I loved his writing; by far my favorite in polticial/social/firearms commentary. I still have a link on my webpage to commemorate his thoughts. There's another mirror at www.jtk3.com/laissezfirearm/
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:22:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I remember him..... That was what, 1996?

He reminded me of a Hunter S. Thompson.... and not for his writing style.

Dave
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:11:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yeah, I remember him..... That was what, 1996?

He reminded me of a Hunter S. Thompson.... and not for his writing style.

Dave

July 2, 2001
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:50:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Odd, I just Googled him last week. I really enjoyed his site and was saddened by his suicide.
His site remains as a monument to him, some friends keep it on line.
"Locked, Loaded, and Liquored Up"

RIP Mark.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top