Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2005 2:20:51 PM EDT
in my neck of the woods the talk is a major earthquake rupturing a levy like new orleans and nocking out water supplies and other undesireable things coming from a monster quake. there are also many other scenario's that can happen to make the SHTF. i have around 5k rounds of ammo in caliber guns that i own but need to really take a good look at my food/water supply. how bout you?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:21:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:30:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I was a Eagle Scout and a Marine, I'm prepared and ready for almost anything. Hell, I had over 1000 gallons of drinking water and a dozen cases of MRE's for Y2K, even though I did not expect any real problems. Ammo - I probably got more ammo at home than most gun stores, enough for a couple lifetimes.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:31:56 PM EDT
[#3]
i brought this up on another site, and only a couple people were prepared...

i've got enough canned food and water jugs stashed away to last me up to two weeks if rationed.  i'll be picking up a couple of MRE's soon, as well as some more water.  i've also got some water purification stuff i picked up from academy.  i'll be geting a good water filter soon too.

i've been working on my ammunition supply as well.  i've got close to 1,000 assorted 12 gauge rounds, and hundreds on assorted rifle rounds(not including .22's).  i need to work on my .223/5.56 supply and .270 supply, though.

i don't have much in the way of medical supplies.  after work tommorow, i'll be picking up some asprin, ib proefin, and bandages.  maybe some assorted medications for different uses as well(cold medicine, diarriah, etc.)

i have a few handheld cb radios, and one uninstalled cb for my truck.  i also have a handheld 2 meter ban radio, so as long as i keep batteries charged, i should be covered on communication.

i will also be putting together a bugout bag soon, so i just need to set aside clothes, and other assorted supplies and food.

i'm new to this whole preparedness thing, but i'm working on making sure that i will be ready in case something does happen.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:35:58 PM EDT
[#4]
As prepared as I'd like to be?  No.

Better prepared than a majority of the population?  Yes.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:37:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm certainly not prepared.  I think I have enough as far as guns & ammo (not much at all, compared to some of the people on this site), but I need a way to haul it around.  I don't have any food put away to speak of...something to look into I guess.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#6]
The S can HTF in any town if all of the decent people leave.

If all of the decent people leave my town, I will be gone. (I am decent, ya know)

I don't think ammo will be near as important as food, water, and medicine, if you have to stay. A couple of thousand rounds at the most.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:37:22 PM EDT
[#7]
are there any negative aspects to canned food other than weight?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:37:42 PM EDT
[#8]
4 months worth of food.  500 gallons of bottled water. More ammo than I could shoot in 10 lifetimes.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:40:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1

Picked up a few more cases of Mountain House Freeze Dried food and many more bottles of H2O. According to the USFDA ( And I trust the government) bottled water has an indefinite shelf life if bottled to standards.

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/%7Edms/botwatr.html

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Duh forgot to quot him.  Blah.  I have 2 weeks worth of water for my family and enough MRE's to get us to our bug out place, even if we have to walk.  And enough ammo to get there, and hunt for at least a year.  Doubt anyone will find where we'll be headed much less try something.  Bout a year's worth of food stocked out there.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

someone on another site mentioned that it's not ment to be kept for long periods of times, but i'd think that if stored in a cool, dry place, it would last just as long, if not longer then MRE's.

like i said above, all i have now is canned food, but i do plan on getting some MRE's in the very near future.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:50:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
ARFCOM Survival Forum

Do it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:52:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Lots of guns....check
Lots of ammo....check
Liberal unarmed neighbors with lots of food....check

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:53:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
According to the USFDA ( And I trust the government) bottled water has an indefinite shelf life if bottled to standards.

i'd just make sure to get water that's botteled in quality containers.  

i do overnight stocking for a living, and when i get to the water, you'd be amazed at how much of it leaks.  the 2 1/2 gallon jugs are the worst.  the gallon milk jugs come in at second, and the flimsy plastic no-name brand 20oz and 16oz bottles are pretty bad as well.

if you go with smaller bottles, the dassani bottles are pretty good.  if you get larger bottles, ozarka makes a good gallon jug that has a screw on lid and better quality plastic(the regular milk jugs leak out of the lid and the jug itself can split open very easily).
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:54:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I am glad I live in a place where there is lots of wheat stored in the grain silos.

We would be fine here if something happened....but I worry about Seattle or Portland getting nuked and survivors coming east....then it could get a little scary.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:01:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Picked up a few more cases of Mountain House Freeze Dried food and many more bottles of H2O. According to the USFDA ( And I trust the government) bottled water has an indefinite shelf life if bottled to standards.

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/%7Edms/botwatr.html

how much water you holding? thats the one thing that i need to aquire.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:08:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:17:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Family of four, 1 gallon each for 7 days. I don't buy the 72 hour figure. In my area it's going to be a terrorist attack (we support em’ in Portland, it’s a haven), earthquake, volcano (Hood or Helens again), or worse yet un-bathed hippies screaming about stumps.

Don't forget you got 55 gallons (+/-) in your hot water heater in addition to your stash. When SHTF fill the tub.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:20:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't make the mistake in believing that you are prepared because you have a rifle and ammo.

Without food and water, you're just going to become a well-armed looter.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:22:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a Subaru Forester, but I think I need to look into a pickup truck for hauling along the essentials, should a permenant change of location be required.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:50:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I have food, guns, ammo, comm, and transportation.  Need to do something about water though.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:55:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes, I will be ready. Survival is not an accident, it is planned. Being into survival assures me that myself and my family WILL NOT become a statistic. 3-6 months of food, water, fuel is a great safety net.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#23]
I need to build up my reserves, but I'm more prepared than anyone else I know.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
4 months worth of food.  500 gallons of bottled water. More ammo than I could shoot in 10 lifetimes.

Burt Gummer?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:59:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Okay, you have heard the joke about two guys in the woods encounter a bear.
One guy takes off running, and the other yells to him
"did you forget you can't outrun a bear".
And the first guy says "I don't need to outrun the bear, I only need to outrun YOU".

It applies here.

A person doesn't need months and months worth of food/water.

If you NEED that much food and water, you will be in hell anyway.
You only need enough ammo so you can obtain what you need later.

Y2K, my uncle bragged about having tons of food/water stored on his farm.
When he asked what I had done to prepare, I said I own a rifle, and know his address.
He still doesn't know if I was joking.

If it comes down to me or you, it really comes down to how much ammo you have left.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Don't make the mistake in believing that you are prepared because you have a rifle and ammo.

Without food and water, you're just going to become a well-armed looter.

Oops, I just ordered a case of ammo and a few more mags this morning.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:01:14 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
how bout you?

Not ready. I think we only have enough for a week, tops. Time to hit Sam's Club.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:03:25 PM EDT
[#28]
In my town?  Yes.  I live is massachusetts right now.  If the SHTF I can break my way out with a big stick since everyone else here is such a damned coward.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:03:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

If you are talking about canned veggies then the biggest negative is nutritional value (or lack of it). During a recent shopping trip I started to load up the cart with canned veggies and my wife stopped me. She told me to look at the label and I was pretty surprised to see that there was almost no nutritional value whatsoever.

As for the original question-I'll never be as ready as I'd like to be, though I am better prepared than many others. After Katrina I removed the tip guard from my chainsaw-if I ever need to saw through the roof the guard would be a problem

ETA: +1 to Legend's referral to the Survival Forum. I've learned more there about emergency preps in the past few months than I had learned previously in my entire lifetime.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:03:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
ARFCOM Survival Forum

+1

you damn sheep   follow the link,,and learn something!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:05:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Just need to get the generator back from my cousin..

In the long run...and this even applies to George Bush, George Soros and George Clooney.

Man proposes and God disposes.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:07:39 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
in my neck of the woods the talk is a major earthquake rupturing a levy like new orleans and nocking out water supplies and other undesireable things coming from a monster quake. there are also many other scenario's that can happen to make the SHTF. i have around 5k rounds of ammo in caliber guns that i own but need to really take a good look at my food/water supply. how bout you?

I have several thousand rounds of ammo, enough canned food that I can eat for over a month.  I could use more water, but if I get any warning at all, I can stockpile a lot fast given what I have on hand.

I eat canned food quite a bit, living alone.  I buy extra cans (more than I'll use) each time I'm at the supermarket.  That way, it's not such a big hit.  Costco is a great place to get flats of bottled water or I get the flats of 2.5 gallon containers.

Also, my water heater in the attic holds about 50 gallons, so I can tap that if I need to in an emergency.

I could be better prepared.  I'm looking into solar panels to power radios and essentials.  Where I live, we tend to get quite a bit of sunlight.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:10:51 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Okay, you have heard the joke about two guys in the woods encounter a bear.
One guy takes off running, and the other yells to him
"did you forget you can't outrun a bear".
And the first guy says "I don't need to outrun the bear, I only need to outrun YOU".

It applies here.

A person doesn't need months and months worth of food/water.

If you NEED that much food and water, you will be in hell anyway.
You only need enough ammo so you can obtain what you need later.

Y2K, my uncle bragged about having tons of food/water stored on his farm.
When he asked what I had done to prepare, I said I own a rifle, and know his address.
He still doesn't know if I was joking.

If it comes down to me or you, it really comes down to how much ammo you have left.

Now that is some silly shitt. Gonna be like folks in N.O. Try taking peoples food and water that are heavily armed, well equipped, and highly trained and motivated, and have a well laid plan. You might be in for a surprise.

I have dozens of AR/AK's so does that mean I should not prepare and just  jack somebody. Better pick your targets/ friends carefully.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top