Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2005 2:05:51 PM EDT
Secret Service Investigates Kentucky Posting About Shooting Police, Bush

ASSOCIATED PRESS

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) -- The U.S. Secret Service is investigating a student who suggested in an Internet posting that people taking necessities after Hurricane Katrina should shoot police officers, guardsmen and President Bush if necessary.

Phillip Bailey, 21 and chairman of the University of Louisvill's Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee, confirmed meeting with Secret Service agents on Tuesday. He said he does not regret his posting.

He said he was trying to say that it's understandable for people to fight for survival and claims that he wasn't advocating violence.

''I'm advocating that people defend themselves and survive,'' he said.

Local Fraternal Order of Police President Richard Dotson said one of his members alerted union leadership about Bailey's comments, and someone from the union reported the Web posting to the Secret Service.

''As far as I'm concerned, it's a direct threat against authority,'' Dotson said. ''We're concerned that someone out there might believe the remarks of this man.''

Bailey's message was posted Monday on a Web site called ''The SOULution'' and responded to a posting suggesting that looters be shot.

Bailey wrote that many people in New Orleans were simply trying to find necessities to stay alive, and noted, ''I say shoot every cop, national guard and politician who stands in your way, INCLUDING GEORGE W. BUSH if need be.''

James Cobb, special agent in charge of the Louisville office of the Secret Service, said it will be up to the U.S. attorney's office whether Bailey is charged with making threats against the president. The offense can carry a five-year penalty.

Bailey, who has been active in efforts to fight violence in the city, said he believes that people are trying to misuse his comments to discredit him. He is scheduled to appear next weekend on a panel featuring local religious, government and community leaders, including Metro Police Chief Robert White. The panel is supposed to discuss ways to help young black men in the city.

Christopher 2X, who works with Bailey on some projects, said the student should have been more careful about how he expressed himself, because any controversy can jeopardize the positive work he does.

''He's 21 years old and he's in a learning process, and what he did is not show good judgment,'' 2X said.

U of L professor Ricky Jones said Bailey's comments have been blown out of proportion.

''Phillip Bailey is not a terrorist,'' Jones said. ''Phillip Bailey is not a presidential assassin nor a potential presidential assassin.''
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:08:01 PM EDT
[#1]
He may not be, but he's on "the list" now!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:11:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:12:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey ATF Lurkers! I heard he has unregistered select-fire AK's, too!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:12:42 PM EDT
[#4]

$1,000 says he is an anti... These people are so stupid it boggles the mind...

And what the fuck kind of name is "Christopher 2X"?

Idiots.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:13:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I knew we had plenty of retards in this city.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:13:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Some here will be worried then.

Yep.

Who was that guy who advocated shooting cops?  He was all +1 about the one that got shot in the back of the head.  Was it Luxor or something like that?

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:14:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

$1,000 says he is an anti... These people are so stupid it boggles the mind...

And what the fuck kind of name is "Christopher 2X"?

Idiots.

Christopher 2X is the mouthpiece of oppressed black people in Louisville.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:15:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
''Phillip Bailey is not a terrorist,'' Jones said. ''Phillip Bailey is not a presidential assassin nor a potential presidential assassin.''

That's right.  He's an angus.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:16:32 PM EDT
[#9]
The head of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee suggesting killing cops?  Must have been a minunderstanding.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:21:13 PM EDT
[#10]
So.... stealing shoes and plasma TVs = fighting for survival = reason to shoot LEO = WTF?

He must have some really good shit in that bowl..  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:25:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The head of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee suggesting killing cops?  Must have been a minunderstanding.

Violence works. Even he knows it, and so do the Secret Service.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:36:29 PM EDT
[#12]
If the guy is out of state then LA LEO can go pound sand legally. I'm sure they could form a counterstrike team and "get him" but there seems to be bigger problems with their agencies at the moment  than an internet retard.

Advocating shooting the President or federal elected officials IS within the SS scope, and will get you into trouble.

Not that I agree with his remarks... It's just there's nothing to his remarks about NO LE that requires a federal investigation that I'm willing to pay for.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:29:38 PM EDT
[#14]
well, that'll bite him big time in the future when a job does a background check
hope he has no intention of ever needing a security clearance
and I never saw any cops stopping looters from taking food and water, just non-necessities
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:31:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Trying to play it off that he's "only 21" is complete and total bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Phillip Bailey, 21 and chairman of the University of Louisvill's Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee, confirmed meeting with Secret Service agents on Tuesday. He said he does not regret his posting.

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrreeeeeee
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top