User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/8/2005 12:36:59 PM EDT
'King of the Hill' Creator: 10th Season the Last
Thursday, September 08, 2005
By Michael Starr

"King of the Hill" (search) creator Mike Judge (search) says this season, the show's 10th, will be its last.

"There is an end in sight here," Judge told the Post Wednesday. "I think 10 [seasons] is a good, round number."

FOX officially says that "No decisions have been made regarding the future of 'King of the Hill.' " But whatever the show's future, its fans are, no doubt, anticipating the upcoming Sept. 18 season premiere.

"The only storyline we have right now is Luanne starts going out with this guy, Lucky. Tom Petty (search) does the voice," Judge said. "He's a character we had season-before-last, and we just loved the character and the way Petty did his voice. It felt like it really fit."

That's an apt metaphor for "King of the Hill," which carved out a comfortable prime-time niche over the years mixing character-driven, low-key comedy and (occasional) pathos into the lives of patriotic Texas propane salesman Hank Hill, wife Peggy, son Bobby and pals Boomhauer, Bill and Dale.

The show has often focused on the relationship between Hank and Bobby — whose decidedly un-Texas-like behavior has often perplexed his dad.

"I think there was a while there when some of the writers were pushing Bobby as being, whatever the polite term is, a sissy, and that went a little too far," Judge said. "I like it better when Bobby's a weird kid who worries Hank, but [Hank] still loves him a lot."

So what, Judge was asked, does he think the show's legacy will be?

"That at a time when TV was constantly trying to shock everybody all the time, we had a show that was kind of a quiet hit and was portraying normal, unhip middle-Americans with dignity — instead of just making fun of them in a crass way."

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:39:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:41:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Itellyouwhutmanthatdang'olKingoftheHillissomedang'olfunnymanjustturnitonandthemfolksisalltalkin'likehicksandstuffandthatBoomhauerisascreamknowhuddImean,y'all?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:42:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:47:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Luanne is da bomb...!

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:48:00 PM EDT
[#5]
With just a few exceptions (namely, the ep. where they had the "Christian" Haunted House ) that is a great show.

I was a latecomer (only started watching a couple years ago) but enjoy the reruns now.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:49:00 PM EDT
[#6]
The show more or less ran its course. Good to go out now and not turn into another Simpsons, a show that has stayed around WAYYYY too long...
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:51:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Itellyouwhutmanthatdang'olKingoftheHillissomedang'olfunnymanjustturnitonandthemfolksisalltalkin'likehicksandstuffandthatBoomhauerisascreamknowhuddImean,y'all?

Yep!*pops open cold beverage*

Im gonna miss the show,I tell Ya what!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:52:11 PM EDT
[#8]
It's a sad day...
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:52:32 PM EDT
[#9]

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:03:59 PM EDT
[#10]
That boy ain't right.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:06:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Good. Bring back Futurama to replace it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:06:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Good, that show sucked balls, completely un-funny.

I had high hopes for it considering it was created by the same man who brought us Beavis and Butthead, one of the funniest shows of all time. Unfortunately like I said, the show sucked balls.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:06:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Hank should have kicked his queer sons ass out of the house years ago, ditched his wife and took up with Lu-Ann.

Texas T.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:08:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I sell propane and propane accessories.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:11:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I think I laughed at that show once..
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:14:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I sure am gonna miss it, I tell you whut.

Hank the hippy-ass-kicking, John Wayne-loving, uber-Texan feels like part of the family.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Loved it...it is a sad day.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:15:05 PM EDT
[#18]
It jumped the shark 5 years ago, way to strained after that. Only funny character left was  Dale Gribble.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Good. Bring back Futurama to replace it.

wOOt!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:18:12 PM EDT
[#20]
"The crap has literally been scared out of me"
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:18:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I think one of the best is when they became volunteer firefighters.  I can't stand Peggy.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:19:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I thought that hillbilly show went off years ago.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:27:36 PM EDT
[#23]

Austin TX  make way for Bobby!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:28:14 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm sorry to hear that, but only for those who like the show.

It's not my favorite by a long shot. I think it's racist against whites, but that's just my humble opinion and nothing more.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:30:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:35:44 PM EDT
[#26]
The GF will probably find me  here later, surrounded by empty bottles, listening to the theme song over and over with tears running down my face...
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:36:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Im a longtime fan of the show and Mike Judge's work in general...it will be missed
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:14:17 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm just glad that Judge gets to decide when his baby leaves the airwaves, not FOX.

10 years is a nice round number.  And the show gets to go out while it is still pretty fresh, unlike that other animated comedy on FOX that has stuck around entirely too long.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:01:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Unimportant.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:02:16 PM EDT
[#30]
King of the who?

You mean somebody actually watched that show?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:04:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:08:06 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Good. Bring back Futurama Beavis and Butthead to replace it.

There ya go.  This is Mike Judge we are talking about.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:08:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:11:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:19:57 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Many people think the show is a parody of suburban Texas life.  There's no parody there; all those guys are real, and I know most of 'em.

+1. I like it because I can relate so well with it. Not to mention Dable Gribble is on of the most developed (and hilarious) characters of all time.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:29:50 PM EDT
[#36]
He needs to bring back Beavis and Butthead. King of the Hill was "ok", but nothing great. Beavis and Butthead OTOH was brilliant, loved by both teens and adults alike. And along with Office Space was by far his best work.

Ten seasons of KOTH was a nice round number. So he needs to bring back Beavis and Butthead for about another 5-6 seasons to give it the same run.

I'd just hope if he does, he takes it somewhere besides MTV if it can be worked out. Cut out the goofy ass music videos and just do full cartoons with no interruptions.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:36:51 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
'King of the Hill' Creator: 10th Season the Last
Thursday, September 08, 2005
By Michael Starr

"King of the Hill" (search) creator Mike Judge (search) says this season, the show's 10th, will be its last.

"There is an end in sight here," Judge told the Post Wednesday. "I think 10 [seasons] is a good, round number."

FOX officially says that "No decisions have been made regarding the future of 'King of the Hill.' " But whatever the show's future, its fans are, no doubt, anticipating the upcoming Sept. 18 season premiere.

"The only storyline we have right now is Luanne starts going out with this guy, Lucky. Tom Petty (search) does the voice," Judge said. "He's a character we had season-before-last, and we just loved the character and the way Petty did his voice. It felt like it really fit."

That's an apt metaphor for "King of the Hill," which carved out a comfortable prime-time niche over the years mixing character-driven, low-key comedy and (occasional) pathos into the lives of patriotic Texas propane salesman Hank Hill, wife Peggy, son Bobby and pals Boomhauer, Bill and Dale.

The show has often focused on the relationship between Hank and Bobby — whose decidedly un-Texas-like behavior has often perplexed his dad.

"I think there was a while there when some of the writers were pushing Bobby as being, whatever the polite term is, a sissy, and that went a little too far," Judge said. "I like it better when Bobby's a weird kid who worries Hank, but [Hank] still loves him a lot."

So what, Judge was asked, does he think the show's legacy will be?

"That at a time when TV was constantly trying to shock everybody all the time, we had a show that was kind of a quiet hit and was portraying normal, unhip middle-Americans with dignity — instead of just making fun of them in a crass way."

9/11, NO and now this....does anybody have any good news  I love this show.  K o the Hill has helled maintain my tempermant over the past week or two.  Seinfeld re-runs is all I got left  
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:37:43 PM EDT
[#38]
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:08:10 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

yep
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:17:08 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I'm just glad that Judge gets to decide when his baby leaves the airwaves, not FOX.

10 years is a nice round number.  And the show gets to go out while it is still pretty fresh, unlike that other animated comedy on FOX that has stuck around entirely too long.

I love KOTH as well as Simpsons, they are both excellent, but KOTH is SO funny!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:18:10 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Say it ain't so, Joe!

Many people think the show is a parody of suburban Texas life.  There's no parody there; all those guys are real, and I know most of 'em.

thats what I mean by funny,  these guys are true to life!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:44:28 PM EDT
[#42]

"Yeah man, I tell ya what, man. That dang ol' Internet, man. You just go on there and point and click. Talk about W-W-dot-W-com. An' lotsa nekkid chicks on there, man. Click. Click. Click. Click. Click. It's real easy, man"

I love King of the hill,

How can they cancel such a great show!!!!

James
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:00:15 PM EDT
[#43]
It's a bit hard for me to believe this show is ten years old. How the years went by...

Good show, and not a bad idea to bring an end to it before it really jumps the shark.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:11:20 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

yep

MMMMHHHHMMM  
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:48:21 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
The GF will probably find me  here later, surrounded by empty bottles, listening to the theme song over and over with tears running down my face...

Pick up the new Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers CD.  They play it during their live shows.  Roger Clyne wrote it when they were the Refreshments.   It's a toe-tapper.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:11:19 AM EDT
[#46]
KOTH is not as hilarious as Beavis & Butthead or Office Space.

Mike Judge does observational humor better than Seinfeld IMO and that is where KOTH has its charm.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:16:24 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Say it ain't so, Joe!

yup, I'm related to several people who match those "parodies" exactly.

I think anyone who has roots in Texas has characters like that in their life.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:58:04 AM EDT
[#48]
That show is gay.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:49:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Ten years and I've never bothered to watch an episode. Oh well.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:56:53 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Ten years and I've never bothered to watch an episode. Oh well.

You're a better person for it, it was the stupidest, most irritating and non-funny show ever to be on television. In other words...

IT SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top