Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2001 12:21:25 PM EDT
I just heard the craziest interpritation of the 2nd. My boss thinks that the right to bear arms infers possesion and not ownership of guns. He thinks the should be given to anyone who wants one by the Government but heavily restricted licenced and registered. What are your opinions.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 12:26:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Let me guess, he has an MBA or some such degree right. HAHAHAHAHAHA What does "the right to bear arms" mean. Its a "right" not a privelige like driving where it can be licensed. It is implicit.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 12:27:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Well I think your boss is smoking something.  Remeber opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one.  The 2nd says "the right to keep and bear arms".  Under his interpretation we would just have the right to bear arms and not keep them.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#3]
My thought is that it is like the armed services.  The government gives you a gun - and when you are done you have to give it back.  The firearm is never "yours".  Tell your boss this and ask him if he is willing to give them back "their" guns when they ask for them (and it will not be during a time of piece and rest)

My firearems are MINE.  No one has the right to ask me do disarm myself and not be able to defend myself as I see fit.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 12:49:39 PM EDT
[#4]
So, your boss believes what he wants to believe, nothing wrong with that. However, if he cared enough to examine history he might gather from what the general Lockean philosophical thought was of English and Colonial people at that time and conclude that what they were seeking was an individual concept of liberty based on the idea of John Locke's mental substances and a lassiez faire style of government. This basic concept speaks specifically to private property rights as well, or even, to the private ownership of arms. He could also look at the 2nd grammatically and conclude, also, that it's an individual not a collective right.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 3:37:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Let me guess, he has an MBA or some such degree right.
View Quote

I'm in graduate school now and I'm more pro-liberty than a lot of the people on this board!
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 5:23:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey, wait a sec lordtrader!  I have my MBA and I'm as pro-Second Amendment, pro-freedom as anybody.  If anything, the extra years in college I spent opened my eyes even more to the hypocracy in academia, and the years I spent in school increased my ability to think critically.  In my case, it helped me to really see the anti-gun, anti-freedom, invalid arguments prevalent in our society for what they really are.  Intellectually dishonest nonsense.

So, this list has at least one strongly pro-gun MBA! [:)]
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 5:42:06 PM EDT
[#7]
BTW, what does your boss do and what is his educational dysfunction?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top