Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2005 10:53:21 PM EDT
I have a Yamaha Blaster with the stock knobby tires. I can't go riding in the woods around my house without picking up thorns, big and small. There are literally a hundred punctures between the 4 tires.

Slime says it will seal punctures now and seal new ones in the future. Sounds like exactly what I need.

So, anyone used it? How did it work for you? Would you recommend it?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:56:55 PM EDT
[#1]
It works GREAT in large diameter, low pressure tires.  Sucks in small, high pressure tires.  And I wouldn't use it on the highway but for your problem, DO IT!  Get the "chunky" stuff.  That is what I use for my tiller tires.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:57:42 PM EDT
[#2]
It's more of a temporary fix. Even though it's advertised to the contrary, it's meant to be used if you're out in the middle of nowhere without a spare (or too lazy to change it) so that you can get to the nearest garage.

Definitely not the type of "fix" you're looking for.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:06:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Works but is a mess to clean up.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:10:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It's more of a temporary fix. Even though it's advertised to the contrary, it's meant to be used if you're out in the middle of nowhere without a spare (or too lazy to change it) so that you can get to the nearest garage.

Definitely not the type of "fix" you're looking for.

This is an off-highway application...most 4-wheelers don't carry spares.  It seems to be advertised and marketed heavily for this application.

I know cyclists that use it on off-road applications but you would never catch me putting it in my high-pressure, skinny road tires.

I rode with a guy who had it in his mountain bike tires.  He hit some glass and it spewed green goo for 3-5 revolutions, the stopped.  Tire pressure was about 5 PSI low, not a bad fix...the cut in the tire was about 1/3" long.  If it works at 60 PSI, it should work at 20.  But I have doubts it will work at 120
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:12:39 PM EDT
[#5]
well then, they seem to have improved it since I used it last (many years ago).

the stuff we had back in the day was a waste.

good to hear that you've all had luck with it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:33:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to use it in my mountain bike.  For a few months each year, the trail I rode was more thorns than dirt.  I can say that it did work decent.  The tires would go down slow, and I could just keep putting air in them.  Without the Slime, I would have to patch the tire every other day. The downside is that Slime is kind of heavy.  Since my legs were the motor, it was noticably drain on horsepower.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:07:21 AM EDT
[#7]
It works GREAT in quads.

I have it in my mowers and on my Honda Foreman. That foreman has driven through briars that deflate even the toughest 6-ply tire and 2 years later I'm still not losing any air.

If you follow the directions, it works wonders.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:52:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought some a few years ago rated for highway use.  I used it in some truck tires.  1 year later I had to replace the tires due to a Firestone recall.  When the tires were removed from the rim, out poured the foulest stench anda putrid brown water.  There was no "Slime".  It had liquified and created a nasty funk.  I swore never to put that crap in my tires again.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:25:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:02:17 AM EDT
[#10]
It's all relative to the size and location of the puncture, as with all sealants. I have yet to see that stuff stabilize for any length of time, and when we get a tire in the shop with a leak -which happens several times a day- the sealers are always broken down to liquid. We had a few of them explode on the hwy, the extra rotating mass of the sealant is a negative side effect. Slime is really no different than other sealers, and none of them are good for everyday driving.

Once a puncture is had, the tire may or may not be sealed, but in any case it will be low on air and the heat buildup may lead to a catastrophic failure. I've seen this on more than few of our customers cars, thankfully none were hurt.

Quads and dirt bikes that go out deep into the bush(or desert) would be the only real use for Slime.

A 4x4 truck/jeep etc should never go into the bush without a spare, air tank, and some tools.

Please use Slime and other tire sealants with due caution, use for emergency only!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:14:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I had a slow leak develop on a recent road trip - I slimed the tire and drove to a repair shop about 10 miles away.  Worked fine for me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:46:47 AM EDT
[#12]
great stuff I have 4 sons.....all of the bicycles in the house and all of the motorcycles have it
my race kart  stand has it

none of my cars have it .....I have'nt needed it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top