Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/7/2005 7:34:37 PM EDT
Here's the case that ruptured.  The primer is missing and the case is split about half of the circumference[sp?].  The report was unusually loud and blew powder and shrapnel back in her face.  She escaped with a cut on her cheek and some pretty impressive swelling and bleeding.  The case was stuck in the gun and took the range gunsmith to extract it.

She's very proud of her wounds.  The girl just ain't right.  She wanted to go back and finish shooting after we cleaned her up, but we wouldn't let her.

The gun was a rented Kimber Ultra Carry.  Which is still her favorite.

All-in-all we were very lucky.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:35:50 PM EDT
[#1]
had that happen to me before on a 308....would like to know what causes that...
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:35:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
She's very proud of her wounds.  The girl just ain't right.  She wanted to go back and finish shooting after we cleaned her up, but we wouldn't let her.

She got a sister?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:36:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Yikes. Glad she was only slightly injured.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:36:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Man, I'd a sworn you were going to say it was a Glock.

Pretty unusual for a Kimber (1911) to do that, isn't it?

CMOS
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:36:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Same thing happened to me with an AK... I would NOT want it to happen with a .45.

Glad your girlfriend is alright... hell, I'm glad she is a shooter to begin with!

- BG
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:37:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
had that happen to me before on a 308....would like to know what causes that...

Tag for that.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:38:21 PM EDT
[#7]
ok, you got pics of the fawked casing, but not the wounds?  what the hell is wrong with you?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:38:51 PM EDT
[#8]
reload or factory ammunition?  

If it's a reload, I would suspect a hot/double charge or something.  Check the barrel for bulging and all the usual.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:40:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
ok, you got pics of the fawked casing, but not the wounds?  what the hell is wrong with you?

She vetoed that idea.  I told her she was purty with her nicked up cheek, but she didn't buy it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:40:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Un-supported case or a fire-out-of-battery, usually from hammer follow.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:42:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Sorry , I'm bored
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:43:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

If it's a reload, I would suspect a hot/double charge or something.  Check the barrel for bulging and all the usual.  

Reloads bought from a local gun shop today.  I'll inspect all remaining rounds, but I'm still not sure I want to shoot the rest of it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:44:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Does she need CPR ???
I can be a doctor.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:45:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I had a similer rupture in my M1 Carbine earlier this summer, YES I have a (wound) pic, and NO I wont post it, cause I wasn't wearing safety glasses at the time, and don't want to be lectured (again).
Only my rupture (KB) blew the bottom out of my magazine, and cracked my stock (stupid birch wood).
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:47:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
She's very proud of her wounds...

Quoted:
She vetoed that idea.  I told her she was purty with her nicked up cheek, but she didn't buy it.

obviously not ALL that proud
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:49:36 PM EDT
[#16]
looks like it was the ammo and not the gun, either way, glad she's ok
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:51:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Reloads bought from a local gun shop today.  I'll inspect all remaining rounds, but I'm still not sure I want to shoot the rest of it.

I would take the ruptured case and the rest of the ammo back and ask for a refund.  If the shop has any integrity they should offer to make it up to you somehow...but I wouldn't use their reloads ever again.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Overworked brass.  The original was fired in a Glock and the reload was a bit on the hot side.

Look at brass from a Glock, especially in .45.  You will see where the excessive unsupported case area overstresses the brass.  Resizing it doesn't repair the damage, it only covers the damage.

You see, Glocks cause problems for ALL of us.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:52:31 PM EDT
[#19]
I had a .45acpcase do that, it had been laoded far too many times, and i did not catch the stretching, it blew out from the barrel having been relieved on the top, the rest of the case was supported for a split second longer than the top as extraction started (as near as i could figure it out)
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

(snip)

I would consider yourself lucky because you have a lady like that.  She's a real keeper.
If you break up let me know so I can give her a call.  If not does she have a sister?

If she's a beautiful lady, an intresting gun related injury on a firearm forum can only lead to one thing... Story telling and attention.

My guess is that someone goofed with the round.  
Could be anything from powder to improper projectile seating to faulty case.

We need an investigator to find the culprit.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:54:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Someone else's reloads and a rental gun.

I hear there are places you can just play Russian Roulette for money.
Take better care of your woman, man.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:57:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
img277.imageshack.us/img277/8596/looterround3fi.jpg

Sorry , I'm bored

More like obsessed.  Aren't you the one that put the dude's head on FieroLoki's post earlier?

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:57:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Rental gun, ok.
Someone else's reloads, NOT OK.

I hope something was learned here.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:59:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
img277.imageshack.us/img277/8596/looterround3fi.jpg

Sorry , I'm bored

More like obsessed.  Aren't you the one that put the dude's head on FieroLoki's post earlier?

SICK BALLS CHOPPER
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:59:55 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Overworked brass.  The original was fired in a Glock and the reload was a bit on the hot side.

Look at brass from a Glock, especially in .45.  You will see where the excessive unsupported case area overstresses the brass.  Resizing it doesn't repair the damage, it only covers the damage.

You see, Glocks cause problems for ALL of us.

Not for me.

No Glocks, No reloads, No problems.

Unsupported chambers are a fool's errand.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I had that happen with a couple of rounds of Remington .22 cal.  I sent them the exploded shells and they sent me a check for $18.00
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:06:48 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Rental gun, ok.
Someone else's reloads, NOT OK.

I hope something was learned here.

Yup.  Big lesson learned.  I should've seen bad combination beforehand.

Guess I'm gonna have to buy her one of those little 3" 1911s so she won't rent that one anymore.  She's a bit of a recoil junkie.  She says it's like rough sex.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:09:56 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a friend that had that happen with his .40 glock.  It blew the magazine out of the gun.  He said he could feel the grip expanding in his hand when it happened.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#29]
how about a photo of the damage done to the GF?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:29:38 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Here's the case that ruptured.  The primer is missing and the case is split about half of the circumference[sp?].  The report was unusually loud and blew powder and shrapnel back in her face.  She escaped with a cut on her cheek and some pretty impressive swelling and bleeding.  The case was stuck in the gun and took the range gunsmith to extract it.

The gun was a rented Kimber Ultra Carry.  Which is still her favorite.

tinypic.com/dgrtk1.jpg

Kimber Kabooom!!!!!!!!  ok thats not fair, it sounds like a reload problem.  

seriously, glad the girlfriend was relatively uninjured.  bad shit happens way too fast sometimes.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:49:35 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would take the ruptured case and the rest of the ammo back and ask for a refund.  If the shop has any integrity they should offer to make it up to you somehow...but I wouldn't use their reloads ever again.

I'l take the case back tomorrow and talk to them.  We'll see what they say...
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:56:28 PM EDT
[#32]
I've had that happen in a 9mm Glock 26.  They were reloads too.  Blew the mag out of the gun, burned my hands all over.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:08:11 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I've had that happen in a 9mm Glock 26.  They were reloads too.  Blew the mag out of the gun, burned my hands all over.

She had powder all over her hands and face, but no burns.  Just a lot of blood.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:11:28 PM EDT
[#34]
That had to be scary.  Glad she's ok.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:15:19 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Someone else's reloads and a rental gun.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:21:40 AM EDT
[#36]
[Lurch] Federal cases uuuruhhurhhhhurhhhuhhh [/Lurch]

I'll probably get flamed for this....

Federal cases are noted for this type of failure.  Thin case heads.  

I cull them from the herd and do not reload them.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:28:35 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Have Glock, do reloads more than 75% of the time, no problems.  Go figure.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:35:59 AM EDT
[#38]
I'd say she is lucky, see my experience www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=316768

I'd suggest that you get her checked & xrayed. If she had swelling, it's probably because there is a piece of metal embeded in her skin.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:41:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Maybe this is a Kimber issue too?  Here's a thread about a KABOOMED barrel in a Custom II.  MJD
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=31&t=17115
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:46:10 AM EDT
[#40]
For the failure to have occured, the cartridge was not fully seated. Since you were using reloads, it's possibly due to a malformed case or the projectile wasn't properly sized not allowing it to seat in the chamber. None the less, the pistol should have never fired on an unseated cartridge. I'd say there are two problems, one with the gun, the other with the ammo.

In my case, I was firing an open-bolt subgun with a fixed firing pin.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:48:37 AM EDT
[#41]
hmm .... reloads....smells like a habitual offender to me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:52:52 AM EDT
[#42]
What did the Kimber say to the Glock?
KABOOM!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:55:28 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

She had powder all over her hands and face, but no burns.  Just a lot of blood.

After you got her all cleaned up did she make you a sammich?  If she did.......marry that girl, NOW!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:55:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:21:31 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have Glock, do reloads more than 75% of the time, no problems.  Go figure.

I would not have a problem with a Glock that had been upgraded to to a Barsto or similar aftermarket barrel that had a fully supported chamber. As far as reloads, If you do your own then you at least can only blame yourself if you get a squib load, and if you are meticulous it won't happen.

I am just not a fan of unsupported chambers on any firearm, and don't just trust reloads done by anyone but me. Your results may vary.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:38:02 AM EDT
[#46]
That exact thing happened to me about two years ago.

The case looks identical.

I had cuts all over my face and nose, however, I was wearing shooting glasses.

The blast destroyed the remaining rounds in the magazine, as well as the magazine itself. I fact, I found the magazine in pieces on the ground. Hands were all black as was the pistol.

Pistol is fine and I healed.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:41:59 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
[Lurch] Federal cases uuuruhhurhhhhurhhhuhhh [/Lurch]

I'll probably get flamed for this....

Federal cases are noted for this type of failure.  Thin case heads.  

I cull them from the herd and do not reload them.

No flame! I reload Federal .45 brass all of the time. Never had a probelm.

Mike
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top