Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2005 5:57:28 PM EDT
I have a wireless network in my house.  Is there anyway that I can print from my laptop to my printer that is connected to my home computer?  I guess I mean that I want to be able to print from my laptop while it is on wireless network.  Is this possible?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:00:51 PM EDT
[#1]
YES.   what operating systems are you running?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:03:22 PM EDT
[#2]
running xp? just enable the share printer funtion.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:08:08 PM EDT
[#3]
On XP:

on the Desktop PC:

Start -> Control Panel -> Printers and Faxes -> Right click on the printer and select Sharing.

Check "Share this printer", and enter what you want the printer to be called over the network. Hit Ok.

Now go to your laptop.

Start -> Control Panel -> Printers and Faxes -> File -> Add Printer

Once in the Wizard:

Next -> Check "A network Printer" and hit Next -> Type in "\\'desktop name'\'printer network name'" and hit Next.

Then finish going through the wizard and you're done.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:12:20 PM EDT
[#4]
You can also buy a print server for the network, cost $50+ but does not require a computer and its attached printer be on as the above methods.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:49:21 PM EDT
[#5]
YEah, using XP, thanks for all the help, will try it tomorrow

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:15:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Sharing it out should work just fine for you.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:05:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
On XP:

on the Desktop PC:

Start -> Control Panel -> Printers and Faxes -> Right click on the printer and select Sharing.

Check "Share this printer", and enter what you want the printer to be called over the network. Hit Ok.

Now go to your laptop.

Start -> Control Panel -> Printers and Faxes -> File -> Add Printer

Once in the Wizard:

Next -> Check "A network Printer" and hit Next -> Type in "\\'desktop name'\'printer network name'" and hit Next.

Then finish going through the wizard and you're done.

OK, tried all that and everything goes good until I try to add a computer on laptop, keep getting a message saying that windows cannot connect to the printer.  either the printer name was typed incorrectly or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server?

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:21:11 AM EDT
[#8]
yugosksfan

Works GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top