Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2005 5:30:32 PM EDT
I've  wanting to dye some plastic parts to black. I believe I've read were some people dyied their HK rifle furniture, those Gray ones, to black using dye packs in boiling water. Is this true or am I smoking something?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:37:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Vinyl dye, get it at auto parts/paint store.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:42:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats the spray can stuff right? will that scratch off or anything?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:44:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Rit dye in a pot of very hot water.
If it's already black, it's kind of hard to do.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:58:30 PM EDT
[#4]
The vinyl dye "soaks" into the plastic.  If you scratch it, you basically scratch the plastic that's been colored, and reveal the "fresh" plastic underneith.  The dye though, does not scratch off, and isn't really considered a coating, rather its bonded to the plastic.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:36:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The vinyl dye "soaks" into the plastic.  If you scratch it, you basically scratch the plastic that's been colored, and reveal the "fresh" plastic underneith.  The dye though, does not scratch off, and isn't really considered a coating, rather its bonded to the plastic.

You are talking about the RIT dye right? I'm not dying black to black but gray to black.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:47:19 PM EDT
[#6]
If it is Nylon, it can be dyed.  It is best to dry the stocks by "baking" them at 120F in you car on a hot summer for a few days.  Nylon absorbs water, releasing it slowly at elevated temperatures.  

It then takes hot water or high pressure to get the water-based dye into the Nylon.  Hot water is better because you can inspect the process.  Have a few boxes of dye handy to get the desired shade, no two parts are ever the same unless you know they are the same lot and same age/treatment.

Only new stocks because oil etc will effect results.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top