Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2005 1:23:46 PM EDT

Had to come home early from work after my wife called to tell me that a big truck had snagged the cable line hanging across the road that goes to our house.  The line spun around and damaged some of our shingles.

Is this the cable company's fault for the low-hanging line, or, is it the trucks fault?  I'm inclined to think cable company, but I presume hell must be raised before I ever expect to see a dime out of them to fix my roof.

And the power brakes in my truck just went out...
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:24:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:25:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Bush's fault.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:26:29 PM EDT
[#3]
If it's a truck route, I'd be inclined to think it's the cable companies fault. I really have no idea, though.

At any rate, I'd do as BK1 suggested.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:26:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Take pictures, admit nothing, make counter-accusations. Sue...sue...sue...
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:27:21 PM EDT
[#5]
There must be a minimum height the line can be at. They cruised a HUGE firetruck thru our neighborhood to see if it could negotiate the streets (after they bought it). Cable must have been too low, but hard to prove at this point. Didn't you just shingle that house?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:28:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Bush's fault.

ha! beat me to it .........
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:28:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Bush's fault.

Beat me to it.

Seriously, if the cable was properly hung, the truck is at fault.

If the cable was below the minimum height (usually 15' or so) it was the cable company's fault.

Either way, call the cable company and talk to them.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:04:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Duh...this is AR15.com sue them both!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:09:15 PM EDT
[#9]
This is why there's something called joint and several liability.  It's both their fault, and we don't have to figure out how much belongs to each.  Hope it still applied in your state.  Lawyer up.

R.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:10:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Karl Rove's fault.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:30:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Call the Hun.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:34:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
There must be a minimum height the line can be at. They cruised a HUGE firetruck thru our neighborhood to see if it could negotiate the streets (after they bought it). Cable must have been too low, but hard to prove at this point. Didn't you just shingle that house?

yes.

This is the year from hell
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:43:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Duh...this is AR15.com sue them both!

Then buy a new AR.  You don't need a roof.    
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Honestly, your home owners insurance will pay for the repairs.

Doesn't matter who's fault unless you take someone to court.  Stupid as it may sound.

Give you an example,

If your neighbor's tree, no matter how dead is it, decides to fall onto your house, your home owners insurance will pay for it.

These things are considered an act of god.  

Before anyone jumps up and down, my neighbor is an All State agent.  My All State agent to be exact, and I just asked him.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:40:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Doesn't matter who's fault unless you take someone to court.  Stupid as it may sound.

Give you an example,

If your neighbor's tree, no matter how dead is it, decides to fall onto your house, your home owners insurance will pay for it.

Before anyone jumps up and down, my neighbor is an All State agent.  My All State agent to be exact, and I just asked him.

I shouldn't have to pay a $500 deductible for $100 or less worth of work.  BUT, I should have to pay $100 either.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:52:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:42:23 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I sure as hell wouldn't file a claim with my HO insurance company.  They don't care about the dollar amount of a claim; they look at the number of claims you file.  Agreed

arowneragain nailed the answer.  If the line was within regs, it is the truck driver's fault.  If the line was out of the regs, it is the cable company's fault.  And Charter will claim the line was within regs

I'd hit up the truck company first but would also contact the cable company to make sure the issue is documented.  Done.  With "damage assessment" claim pending

You might end up sitting back watching the two companies point fingers at each other.  Not good for you.  This is exactly what I predict

Find out how high is the top of that truck that hit the cable.  Good idea

Find out the local regs.  That will tell you who is at fault.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:08:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Give you an example,

I shouldn't have to pay a $500 deductible for $100 or less worth of work.  BUT, I should have to pay $100 either.

I agree, do not involve your HO insurance.  You did the right thing by contacting both companies.  Tell you what, just for good measures, get one of our team member lawyers to draft a letter for you that you will be contacting DOT for the trucker and BBB for the cable company considering you are a customer too.  Bitch to both of them since it's going to be less then $100, plus it's only a letter.  Worst thing they can say is NO.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:26:33 PM EDT
[#19]
talk to the cable company it was their fault.  as for your brakes, if the brakes make noise check the pads, if the pedal is stiff check your vacuum lines and power booster, if the pedal goes to the floor replace your master cylinder. that is all
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:42:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Fix it and take them both to small claims court, let the judge sort it out
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:39:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Give you an example,

I agree, do not involve your HO insurance.  You did the right thing by contacting both companies.  Tell you what, just for good measures, get one of our team member lawyers to draft a letter for you that you will be contacting DOT for the trucker and BBB for the cable company considering you are a customer too.  Bitch to both of them since it's going to be less then $100, plus it's only a letter.  Worst thing they can say is NO.

anyone come to mind right off the bat?

p.s.  thanks fro the brakes advice
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top