Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/7/2005 12:57:44 PM EDT
One of the things that amazes me in the course of studying US history, particularly from the 1930-50s, is just how common it was for girls to get married at the age of 16.

While I of course have come across many married at younger ages 13-15 those examples seem to be too few to be an accepted norm. I imagine even in 1930 a 14 year old bride raised some eyebrows. And of course there are plenty of girls who got married in the 17-19 age range but it seems like most were married by 18 and 16 was a rather common age for marriage.

50 years later I cannot recall ANYONE I know personally who was married at 16. In fact I'm hard pressed to think of anyone I know who got married at 18. Most girls I know waited until their early 20s to get married. And these days a 16 year old bride would definitely raise eyebrows.

So what has changed in 2 generations?

And would you let your 16 year old daughter get married?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:58:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:59:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Hopefully I would have raised her so that "letting" her would not come into it because she would not want to.

If it came to it, I'd say no.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:59:52 PM EDT
[#3]
No.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Marriage age is purely societal preference - getting married at 16 may be 'different' but it's certainly not 'wrong'.

Having said that, it's probably not a good idea in most cases.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:00:34 PM EDT
[#5]
No F'n way.  Period.

I wouldn't want my daughter (if I had one) to get  married until she was out of school for at least a couple of years.  26 yrs old minimum suggested age.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:01:24 PM EDT
[#6]
No way
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:02:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:04:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I don't know, but I am glad it did.

And Hell NO!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#9]
IMHO, no one should be getting married
before 25.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:05:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

my guess would be life expectancy, infant mortality........you got to get them as soon as they are of breeding age, so when they have a baby and it dies, you can keep going, before she dies...... if you go back in time, it wasn't uncommon for 13 year olds to be married off........the big question of the time was, "is she of bleeding age yet?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:09:51 PM EDT
[#11]
as a father of 3 beautiful daughters i woudl have to say ummmmmmm......................
FUCK NO!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:20:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I would strongly discourage her from getting married....ever.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:21:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I would hate it if my daughter wanted to get married at 16. Unfortunately if I didn't allow it she may just runaway and either marry anyway or just live with the Jerk and that could really ruin the Father daughter relationship for years to come. I would reluctantly agree and pray that reverse psychology would prevail.  
With all the emancipated minor laws you as a dad are screwed.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:32:35 PM EDT
[#14]
NO, she would not have the chance before the guy was the victim of a tragic and horrible accident.

But then, I knew a girl in HS whose folks were 15 and 16 when they got married ("Dad just turned 31 - ?????), and her aunts/uncles/grandfolk did so as well with no divorces.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:33:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Economics - After HS you used to be able to get a decent job, now all you can get is a job a McDonalds. notice that most people here are advocating getting married after college, which is when a person can now finally get a decent job.

Life Expectancy - People live longer now so there is less need to hurry up and get on with life.

Immaturity - Young people now are much more immature. Dogooders have been constantly trying to protect the children from the evils of the world, but all it ends up doing is making them incapable of dealing with problems when they do come of age.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:37:39 PM EDT
[#16]
The hubby and I got married when I was 34.5 years old while he was 39.5 years old.  
I want my 4.5 year-old daughter to get married until she's 34.5 years old.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:38:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Economics - After HS you used to be able to get a decent job, now all you can get is a job a McDonalds. notice that most people here are advocating getting married after college, which is when a person can now finally get a decent job.

Life Expectancy - People live longer now so there is less need to hurry up and get on with life.

Immaturity - Young people now are much more immature. Dogooders have been constantly trying to protect the children from the evils of the world, but all it ends up doing is making them incapable of dealing with problems when they do come of age.

I'd be willing to bet that has more to do with it than anything.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:39:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Heck yeah dude. Get that mooch outta the house!

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:40:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Any truth that the human female is at her reproductive prime at around age 14?  Heard or read that some years back.

CHESTER.    

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:41:16 PM EDT
[#20]
nope
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:41:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I am not married, and don't have kiddos.  That said...

From my perspective, as a young man, I would not marry somebody at 16 either.  That is way too young, people change.  I know I have since then, and there is more to come.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:43:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Economics could be a big part of it........there is this common belief that you HAVE to go to college and you HAVE to do this and you HAVE to do that........I'm a relatively happy bachelor.....active duty military - so I don't make a lot - but for me - its plenty........

I think culture has changes a lot too - and not necessarily for the better.........100 yrs ago - I believe a 16 year old kid was a LOT more mature then most teenagers to day........we can thank the public education system and social darwinism for modern society.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong, the thing that has the most to do with it is SEX.

The sexual revolution changed the moral standard in this country.

Women the engage in sexual activity before they are married, are not seen as loose women, sluts, etc., anymore.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:46:29 PM EDT
[#24]
In other countries and societies, getting married at 30 is not acceptable.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:47:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:00:36 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Yes.  But only to her cousin.  hern
Puuuhhhleeeeze, if I had a daughter, she'd be lucky to even be single-dating by 16, let alone getting married.  Hell-freaking NO!

£a B
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:11:25 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

More women are working now.  Back then, a lot (most?) women stayed at home and made babies.  A lot of them married older men that already had jobs.  There was no need for much education (other than what momma taught).  Plus, it seems that back then people made MORE babies, so it helped to start early.

I think my wife's grandmother was only 14 or 15 and her grandfather was 10 years older when they got married.

Just my 2¢

CR

on edit (to the ladies of arfcom): I'm not suggesting it should be the old way!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:34:09 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 You hit the nail on the head.

I personally think we should try to make kids grow the hell up.

But as for now and the current path we are on I would not let my daughter marry at 16. Well maybe if it was to somone who was older. Most guys who are 16 act like kids.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:39:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Not more than 40 years ago, they were getting married at age 13 or 14 in Arkansas...

Heck, my Arkie aunt had her first marriage when she was but 14.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:39:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Hell no!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Back then yet, now no
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:41:46 PM EDT
[#32]
I've seen alot of pregnant 14 year old women. Figures they weren't married.

ETA: My daughter dating at 16... sure, screwing, hope I don't find out for the boyfriend's sake, fornicating with a woman, absolutely not, and marriage before 18 is absolutely not going to happen. When my daughter is 18, she is free from my reign, and all I can do is hope that I raised her with good morals and common sense to help her grow up.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:34:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Hell no!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:14:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Nyet!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:20:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:34:42 PM EDT
[#36]
When I got married the first time, I was 18 and She was 19 days shy of Her 16th birthday. Her Father had no problems with it, but her mother said NO so we had to go before a local Judge to get permission to get married. Her mother then tried to get me prosecuted for statutory rape but thank God that never went anywhere and is another story all together.

The reason for us getting married at such a tender age (if you haven’t already guessed ) is that she was with child, and I felt it was the right and only thing to do. The marriage didn’t last quite 2 years, but now I've got a psycho ex-wife and a great 15 year old daughter .

If I had the chance to go back and do it again, the only thing I would change is the attorney I used to represent me in the Divorce
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:45:51 PM EDT
[#37]
I got married at 19.  Way too young.  Of course it wouldn't have done any good to try to talk me out of it.  But I've started brainwashing my kids early.  No marriage until graduated from college.  I think they'll listen too.  They know and can see the sacrafices I've had to make because of marrying young.  My daughter is 14 and not interested in boys yet.  She wouldn't be allowed to date even if she was.  A boy is more than welcome to come over, hang out but no dating - she's too young.

Patty
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:47:04 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I have no fears.  My daughter won't shut up long enough for boy to ask her so its a moot question.

I know the feeling! Patty
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:49:06 PM EDT
[#39]
FUCK NO!

and I would be tempted to use the 3 S's to make sure the other party could not
attend any ceremony.

shoot, shovel & shutup

LB
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:51:46 PM EDT
[#40]
My daughter is only 4months old, but I guess it will all depend on how hot her girlfriend/future life partner is  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:08:09 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

More college and job opportunities for the womyn.

Quoted:

hell no.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:21:26 AM EDT
[#42]
If you review the education system in this country you will find that an 8th grade education used to be the equivalent to our current college education. At 16 you were at the same educational level of our college graduates. Also, there was no value placed on an extended "childhood" like we have now so if you looked like an adult and could work like an adult, you were expected to act like an adult.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:53:35 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

In the olden days when life was simpler and people had morals it may have made since. To me it would be criminal negligence to allow your daughter or son to marry that young.

I am for freedom and people's rights and all of that, but a 16 year old is a child for crying out loud.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:42:02 AM EDT
[#44]
My mom got married at 16 to my father, who is 19 years older than her. They have now been married for 21 years. (Had me at 17)

My mom has never had any regrets.

John
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:15:54 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong, the thing that has the most to do with it is SEX.

The sexual revolution changed the moral standard in this country.

Women the engage in sexual activity before they are married, are not seen as loose women, sluts, etc., anymore.

Wait are you suggesting that in the "Good Old Days" or Pre 1960s morality girls being sexually active at 16 was the norm?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:20:04 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
IMHO, no one should be getting married
before 25.

+1
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:22:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Hell Nooo.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:22:15 AM EDT
[#48]
In our society people should not get married until they educate themselves, with school and/or life.
Though I must add, biologically those 16 year old bodies are for making babies and they are prime for making babies, as women get into the late 20's or 30's there is more chances of birth defects and I think they could have a harder time getting pregnant or maybe more complications. That is nature we can't change it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:25:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Back in 1975 my wife was 16 years old when we got married.  I was 18.  Now, 30 years later we are in our late 40's and still together with 1 child (age 27 so you do the math-- we didn't "have" to get married).  Looking forward to many more years with the one I love.

Lawdog
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#50]
People no longer get married at those young ages anymore but look at the divorce rate these days.
Maybe they knew what they were doing back then.

If you couldnt find a good one you could always raise one your self.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top