Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2005 12:38:57 PM EDT
I am not talking about the people trying to secure food and necessary supplies.

I have been hearing alot of apologists like Celine Dion, Chris Rock, etc stating that these people are merely taking plasma TV's and other items because it is their way to "strike back at oppression and poverty"  This makes absolutely no sense to me for one reason:

If it is OK to strike back at oppression and poverty during a time of crisis when the law and social structure have broken down, why is it not OK to do it when there is no emergency?  If these are not opportunists who were taking advantage of a disaster that destroyed their city, why can't they just walk into an elctronics store, grab a HDTV and walk out the door saying "I am striking back at oppression and poverty" whenever they feel like it?  Why does it take a disaster of epic proportions to "get even"?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:36:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Because there is very little threat of arrest right now.  Cops are too busy doing other things.  Now it's OK cause they won't get caught.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top