Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2005 10:58:20 AM EDT
Tetnaus, ?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:08:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Hep A, Hep B , Tetnaus if not in the last 5 or so years, maybe even a rabies series dpeneding if you are dealing with animals.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:09:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:10:50 AM EDT
[#3]
You'll need to be up on your hot beef injections.

/sorry, this thread needed more absurdity.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:12:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Cuervo 1800......

6-10 oughta do ya.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:12:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Unless things have changed, the hepatitis series takes a while to finish. Several weeks at least.

ETA 6 months!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Unless things have changed, the hepatitis series takes a while to finish. Several weeks at least.

as far as I know, they haven't
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:14:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You'll need to be up on your hot beef injections.

/sorry, this thread needed more absurdity.

Working on that daily.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:15:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:15:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Add diphtheria (sp?) to the list too.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:19:29 AM EDT
[#10]
check the cdc website. Tetnus booster for sure. Asked the doc about anything else and he said check with cdc.... i would probably do a hep vaccine(a&b) just to be safe if dealing with corpses.

Me, i'll be in the luxury of my own kitchen, or 3, with potable hot running water, hand sinks, sanitizer, etc. i ain't sloshin through shit.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:19:39 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Cuervo 1800......

6-10 oughta do ya.

Mike

....and once you get down there.....

1 shot of Everclear every 6 hours will kill any bug.  Also works on wounds and as a back-up fuel supply.  Finally, if you don't have any mace, look no further the a splash of Everclear in the perps eyes.  They give ya too much shit,  just light a match, toss and walk away.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:21:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I have called the doc's office. They are suppose to schedule me in tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:21:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:23:23 AM EDT
[#14]
I have no idea...but if you're heading down there (not sure if this thread is a rhetorical thread or...) I would definitely call your doc first and see what you need. If you are going, you can't help if *you're* not healthy.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:25:58 AM EDT
[#15]
45cal in the head to go there
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:26:49 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I'd assume to check with the CDC, and take any shots they recommend for a third-world country visit.

What will you be doing out there?

Convoy security, infastructure protection and possibly bodyguard detail.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'd assume to check with the CDC, and take any shots they recommend for a third-world country visit.

Stay safe!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:30:00 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stay safe!

OK...NOT a hypothetical question. Bama, a big +1 on operator's post!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

ETA 6 months!

I'm pretty sure it has changed.  Hep A is required for school kids now, and AFAIK it's in and out.  And I think I heard that the DPT jabs are now all in one.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:36:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Both Hep A & B require multiple injections for an adult.

digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/vaccinationshepab/#A-doses

Worker Safety During Hurricane Cleanup

www.bt.cdc.gov/disasters/hurricanes/workers.asp

Required immunizations:

1. Tetanus and diphtheria toxoid (receipt of primary series, and Td booster within 10 years)

2. Hepatitis B vaccine series for persons who will be performing direct patient care or otherwise expected to have contact with bodily fluids

There is no indication for the following vaccines given the anticipated conditions in the region:

* hepatitis A vaccine (low probability of exposure, even under these conditions, in U.S. ) No transmission from contaminated water has been identified in the U.S. since the 1980's. Hepatitis A outbreaks have not occurred following other hurricanes or floods in other parts of the country, including the devastating hurricanes in Florida last year, and the Midwestern floods of the late 1990's. The Gulf Region has had few hepatitis A cases in recent years, with less than 10 in the past 3 months reported from the New Orleans area. Thus, even though the water and sewage systems are damaged or out of operation in many areas along the Gulf Coast , the risk of a hepatitis A epidemic is extremely low. Vaccine will take at least one to two weeks to provide substantial immunity.

* typhoid vaccine (low probability of exposure, even under these conditions, in U.S. ).

* cholera vaccine (low probability of exposure, even under these conditions, in U.S. , plus no licensed cholera vaccine available in the U.S. ).

* meningococcal vaccine (no expectation of increased risk of meningococcal disease among emergency responders).

* rabies vaccine series (the full series is required for protection). Persons who are exposed to potentially rabid animals should be evaluated and receive standard post-exposure prophylaxis, as clinically appropriate.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:38:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Buckshot is all the rage, this looter season.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:44:55 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Both Hep A & B require multiple injections for an adult.

digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/vaccinationshepab/#A-doses

Worker Safety During Hurricane Cleanup

www.bt.cdc.gov/disasters/hurricanes/workers.asp

Required immunizations:

1. Tetanus and diphtheria toxoid (receipt of primary series, and Td booster within 10 years)

2. Hepatitis B vaccine series for persons who will be performing direct patient care or otherwise expected to have contact with bodily fluids

There is no indication for the following vaccines given the anticipated conditions in the region:

* hepatitis A vaccine (low probability of exposure, even under these conditions, in U.S. ) No transmission from contaminated water has been identified in the U.S. since the 1980's. Hepatitis A outbreaks have not occurred following other hurricanes or floods in other parts of the country, including the devastating hurricanes in Florida last year, and the Midwestern floods of the late 1990's. The Gulf Region has had few hepatitis A cases in recent years, with less than 10 in the past 3 months reported from the New Orleans area. Thus, even though the water and sewage systems are damaged or out of operation in many areas along the Gulf Coast , the risk of a hepatitis A epidemic is extremely low. Vaccine will take at least one to two weeks to provide substantial immunity.

* typhoid vaccine (low probability of exposure, even under these conditions, in U.S. ).

* cholera vaccine (low probability of exposure, even under these conditions, in U.S. , plus no licensed cholera vaccine available in the U.S. ).

* meningococcal vaccine (no expectation of increased risk of meningococcal disease among emergency responders).

* rabies vaccine series (the full series is required for protection). Persons who are exposed to potentially rabid animals should be evaluated and receive standard post-exposure prophylaxis, as clinically appropriate.

Thanks for the links.

Do you know if these shots will prevent from being a pediatric blood donor in the future?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:48:25 AM EDT
[#23]
diptheria is part of the DPT series ya get when your a kid right? No booster needed?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:56:25 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Do you know if these shots will prevent from being a pediatric blood donor in the future?

AFAIK no they will not. I've had Hep A & B and everything else and they still hound me all the time for my CMV- blood for preemies. Once you are vaccinated for Hep you should be tested later on for the presence of Hep antibodies.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:01:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
diptheria is part of the DPT series ya get when your a kid right? No booster needed?

AFAIK you need a diphtheria and tetanus booster every ten years. The diphtheria booster shot for an adult is I beleive weaker then what you were given as a child.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:01:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Buckshot.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:06:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Doc called back, told me to come on in in the morning and they will fix me up.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:09:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Doc called back, told me to come on in in the morning and they will fix me up.

You're getting fixed? Was this Mrs. 'Bama's idea?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:27:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Don't know where they got it but I heard on the radio that the series is cholera, typhus, dpt  or diptheria and tetanus, the heps weren't on the list but probably not a bad idea.

Back when I was an active reservist we got those and dengue fever, bubonic plague, yellow fever and typhoid and were kept current.  I was in an MSC unit and as we had disaster relief possibilities they kept us current on everything.

I was only deferred from blood donations for some of the anti-malarial prophylaxis.  Although when I answered bubonic plague, dengue fever, yellow fever and typhus at the blood drive they had to go check the books to make sure.

Cholera would definitely be high on my list.   I got brought up to speed in expectation for manning up a temporary office in support of  relief into Bangladesh once and I couldn't move my arms for a day.  Figured they would rather be erring on the short side rather than take a chance on catching anything.  I agreed at the time.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:41:28 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Hep A, Hep B , Tetnaus if not in the last 5 or so years, maybe even a rabies series dpeneding if you are dealing with animals.

That's correct. A doctor at one of the tent hospitals said volunteers and victims are all getting the same three shots when they get here.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:45:38 PM EDT
[#31]
According to the CDC there currently is no cholera vaccine available in the U.S.    

www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/cholera_g.htm#Is%20a%20vaccine%20available%20to%20prevent%20cholera

Is a vaccine available to prevent cholera?

At the present time, the manufacture and sale of the only licensed cholera vaccine in the United States (Wyeth-Ayerst) has been discontinued. It has not been recommended for travelers because of the brief and incomplete immunity if offers. No cholera vaccination requirements exist for entry or exit in any country.

Two recently developed vaccines for cholera are licensed and available in other countries (Dukoral®, Biotec AB and Mutacol®, Berna). Both vaccines appear to provide a somewhat better immunity and fewer side-effects than the previously available vaccine. However, neither of these two vaccines is recommended for travelers nor are they available in the United States. Further information on these vaccines can be obtained from the manufacturers at:
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:49:43 PM EDT
[#32]

What shots does a person need to get before going to NO?

All of 'em.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:11:21 PM EDT
[#33]
You get shot when you arrive. CDC says Tetnus Hep B, not requiring Hep A at this time.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:53:56 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Don't know where they got it but I heard on the radio that the series is cholera, typhus, dpt  or diptheria and tetanus, the heps weren't on the list but probably not a bad idea.

Back when I was an active reservist we got those and dengue fever, bubonic plague, yellow fever and typhoid and were kept current.  I was in an MSC unit and as we had disaster relief possibilities they kept us current on everything.

That's a great recruiting line! The few, the proud, the disease resistant. No wonder chicks in foreign countries go for military personnel.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:19:51 AM EDT
[#35]
I wish I would have found this thread earlier

My dad just went over (9/9) to NO with the CDC
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:18:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Bama,

Hep B is required and it involves a series of shots over time... if yours are not "up to date" (read: done), you are S.O.L. as far as I know.

- BG  
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:22:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:29:16 AM EDT
[#38]

What shots does a person need to get before going to NO?

A clue...............get a clue!..........seems nobody had one there. Now they shipped those without a clue to other areas of the country!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top