Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2005 9:58:49 AM EDT
Please discontinue the use of the word refugee in reference to NO. The new offical term is displaced citizens. By order of the NO authorities.

That is all.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:59:21 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

By order of the NO authorities.

They're not the boss of me.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:03:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Undocumented Shopper.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:05:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Please discontinue the use of the word refugee in reference to NO. The new offical term is displaced citizens. By order of the NO authorities.

That is all.

What if they aren't citizens?  Like if I was among them.  I'm a legal resident alien.  Would I be a displaced legal resident alien?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:06:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Undocumented Shopper.

You can only call them that when they are stealing.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:12:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:13:41 AM EDT
[#6]
When WWII ended they were called DPs, for displaced persons.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:14:24 AM EDT
[#7]
well DP, is the correct term, a refugee is  anybody that crosses international borders to escape.........while a displaced person,applys to people fleeing their homes because of an armed conflict, civil disturbance or natural disaster. It applies to people as long as they remain within the borders of their own country. Once they cross into another country they become, in most cases, refugees.

there isn't anything "political correct" about the term, if that is what you are getting it, it's just the correct term for these people
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:15:33 AM EDT
[#8]
*sigh*

Does EVERYTHING have to be PC now?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:17:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
*sigh*

Nope, some people still use Macs
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:20:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
well DP, is the correct term, a refugee is  anybody that crosses international borders to escape.........while a displaced person,applys to people fleeing their homes because of an armed conflict, civil disturbance or natural disaster. It applies to people as long as they remain within the borders of their own country. Once they cross into another country they become, in most cases, refugees.

there isn't anything "political correct" about the term, if that is what you are getting it, it's just the correct term for these people

Just to clear things up

A refugee is a person seeking asylum in a foreign country in order to escape persecution. Some regional legal instruments further include those seeking to escape generalized violence in the definition of a refugee. Those who seek refugee status are sometimes known as asylum seekers and the practice of accepting such refugees is that of offering political asylum. The most common asylum claims to industrialized countries are based upon political and religious grounds.

A displaced person (sometimes abbreviated DP) is the general term for someone who has been forced to leave his or her native place, a phenomenon known as forced migration. The term first gained widespread usage during World War II and the resulting refugee outflows from Eastern Europe, when it was used to specifically refer to one removed from his or her native country as a refugee, prisoner or a slave laborer. The meaning has significantly broadened in the past half-century. A displaced person may also be referred to as a forced migrant. The term "refugee" is also commonly used as a synonym for displaced person, causing confusion between the general descriptive class of anyone who has left their home and the subgroup of legally defined refugees who enjoy specified international legal protection.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:26:39 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

it isn't PC........the term DPs have been around since the end of WW2.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:27:26 AM EDT
[#12]
But see... displaced is also bad... it sounds so derogatory... like they are spaced out or they misplaced something. We can't have this.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:30:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Undocumented Shopper.

I literally just inhaled a small fragment of my lunch.  Bastard.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:33:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
But see... displaced is also bad... it sounds so derogatory... like they are spaced out or they misplaced something. We can't have this.

PC terms are like "homeless", for bums,  "mentally challenged" for retards, etc.... DP is the correct term for people that have been forced to move to somewhere else.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:34:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Swamp rats what their called here
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:35:12 AM EDT
[#16]
"The Fugees"
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:36:00 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Undocumented Shopper.

Still my favorite.

If I'm giving each one of these fuckers a $2000 debit card then I can call them whatever the fuck I want.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Undocumented Shopper.

You can only call them that when they are stealing.

Not now that we're giving them $2000 cards no questions asked.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:37:43 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is all.

What if they aren't citizens?  Like if I was among them.  I'm a legal resident alien.  Would I be a displaced legal resident alien?

Reminds me of the famous news story about the African-American (black) guy from England.  I think it was during the Olympics one year.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:38:34 AM EDT
[#20]
i thought the correct term was Evacuee
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:39:22 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

By the very construct of the word a refugee is one who seeks refuge, regardless of borders.  Otherwise it's like saying a car cannot be called a car unless it has 4 doors.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:40:03 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Hmmm....at what point does an evacuee become a displaced person?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:40:24 AM EDT
[#23]
So, the people seeking refuge can be called displaced citizens.

Or the people seeking refuge can be called flood survivors.

Or the people seeking refuge can be called hurricane victims.

Or the people seeking refuge can be called any other PC thing but not Refugee.

Who'd a thunk it
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:47:24 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
So, the people seeking refuge can be called displaced citizens.

Or the people seeking refuge can be called flood survivors.

Or the people seeking refuge can be called hurricane victims.

Or the people seeking refuge can be called any other PC thing but not Refugee.

Who'd a thunk it

No different than calling all brown-skinned people Hispanics and all black African-Americans.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:47:41 AM EDT
[#25]
DP? Yeah, first they got fucked by the hurricane and then by the Major and cronies...
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:52:41 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmm....at what point does an evacuee become a displaced person?

mebby when they've been renamed such by some liberal dipshitocrap dumbass?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:54:04 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is all.

Reminds me of the famous news story about the African-American (black) guy from England.  I think it was during the Olympics one year.

LOL!  Or the South African (white) kid at the American high-school that wanted to participate in African-American day (he was the only African in the school) and the school administration gave him all kinds of shit.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is all.

Lost Canuck.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:56:42 AM EDT
[#29]
During the depression, FDR commissioned a group of people to build Timberline Lodge on Mt Hood in Oregon (11,285ft). The lodge was built by men who did not have a job. The lodge still stands today and is a work of art. Lots of summer and winter activities 1 hour from “Little Beirut” (Portland).

http://www.timberlinelodge.com/

At a minimum, how about keeping some of the refuges in NOLA to work on rebuilding their city they so desperately wanted to not leave? Now we have bus loads coming to beautiful liberal Little Beirut and the neighborhoods want to know about probable crime influx. Hey Portland, where’s your compassion? Friggin pukes.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:00:21 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is all.

Lost Canuck.

That would work.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:05:49 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just to clear things up

A refugee is a person seeking asylum in a foreign country in order to escape persecution. Some regional legal instruments further include those seeking to escape generalized violence in the definition of a refugee. Those who seek refugee status are sometimes known as asylum seekers and the practice of accepting such refugees is that of offering political asylum. The most common asylum claims to industrialized countries are based upon political and religious grounds.

A displaced person (sometimes abbreviated DP) is the general term for someone who has been forced to leave his or her native place, a phenomenon known as forced migration. The term first gained widespread usage during World War II and the resulting refugee outflows from Eastern Europe, when it was used to specifically refer to one removed from his or her native country as a refugee, prisoner or a slave laborer. The meaning has significantly broadened in the past half-century. A displaced person may also be referred to as a forced migrant. The term "refugee" is also commonly used as a synonym for displaced person, causing confusion between the general descriptive class of anyone who has left their home and the subgroup of legally defined refugees who enjoy specified international legal protection.

ref·u·gee    (rfy-j) KEY  

NOUN:

One who flees in search of refuge , as in times of war, political oppression, or religious persecution.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ETYMOLOGY:
French réfugié, from past participle of réfugier, to take refuge, from Old French, from refuge, refuge ; see refuge
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:09:20 AM EDT
[#32]
How about hydrologically redistributed?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:10:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:12:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:13:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Who really gives a shit?  Nobody is using it to put anyone down.  Nobody is trying to use the term to make anyone look/feel inferior.  Only in today's society would we pay more attention to the "refugee" part than the "we should help the ...." part.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:15:12 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
How about hydrologically redistributed?

Yeah, but one need to both understand and be able to pronounce the label attached to oneself.

WATER RUN-OFF

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:26:39 AM EDT
[#37]
refugees, all of them!!!

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:52:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Main Entry:   Refugee
Part of Speech:   noun
Definition:   escapee
Synonyms:   alien, boat person, castaway, defector, deserter, displaced person, DP, emigrant, escapee, evacuee, exile, expatriate, expellee, foreigner, foundling, fugitive, homeless person, leper, maroon, outcast, outlaw, pariah, prodigal, renegade, runaway, stateless person, émigré

Seems they mean about the same thing so can we knock off the PC bullshit yet and get on with it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:58:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Jesse Jacksoooon said that calling them 'refugees' is racist!!!

The Jesse has spoken.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:59:56 AM EDT
[#40]

fuck them...
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:09:09 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Undocumented Shopper.

Still my favorite.

If I'm giving each one of these fuckers a $2000 debit card then I can call them whatever the fuck I want.

+1
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:40:16 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I would say they are escaping a hazard imposed upon them by a corrupt government.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top