Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/7/2005 9:10:23 AM EDT
http://apnews.excite.com/article/20050907/D8CFHNNO0.html

Well, they're not "heroes" yet, but it won't be long. You don't have to live like a refugee, but sometimes it ain't so bad.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:12:00 AM EDT
[#1]
[Mayor Nagin]They are not refugee's, they are civilians![/Mayor Nagin]

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:12:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Somewhere, somehow somebody
Must have kicked you around some
Who knows, maybe you were kidnapped
Tied up, taken away and held for ransom
It don't really matter to me
Everybody's had to fight to be free
You see you don't have to live like a refugee
I said you don't have to live like a refugee
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:14:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Sep 7, 12:56 PM (ET)

By DEVLIN BARRETT

(AP) Paul Essex, right, sits with his son Paul Jr. and wife Shelby with all of their belongings in wheel...
Full Image

WASHINGTON (AP) - The federal government plans to begin doling out debit cards worth $2,000 each to adult victims of Hurricane Katrina, The Associated Press has learned.

Homeland Security Department Secretary Michael Chertoff descibed the plan in a conference call with state officials Wednesday morning. The unprecedented cash card program initially will benefit stranded people who have been moved to major rescue centers such as the Houston Astrodome.

"They are going to start issuing debit cards, $2,000 per adult, today (Wednesday) at the Astrodome," said Kathy Walt, a spokeswoman for Texas Gov. Rick Perry.

The cards could be used to buy food, transportation, gas and other essentials, according to a state official who was on the call and requested anonymity because the program has not been publicly announced.

In Boston, Gov. Mitt Romney said the cards will be offered "to people in shelters as well as people who are not in shelters but who have evacuated the area and need help." He said the hope is the cards will encourage people to leave shelters voluntarily.

It's unclear how much the debit card program will cost the government, but it's likely to run into the hundreds of millions of dollars since hundreds of thousands of people have been displaced.

---

Associated Press reporter Suzanne Gamboa contributed to this report.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:16:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Katrina and the Waves

*Walking on Sunshine*

I used to think maybe you love me, now baby I'm sure
And I just can't wait till the day when you knock on my door
Now everytime I go for the mailbox gotta hold myself down
Cause I just can't wait till you write me you're comin' around

(Chorus)
Now I'm walking on sunshine, whoa oh
And don't it feel good, hey, all right now
And don't it feel good

I used to think maybe you love me now I know that it's true
And I don't wanna spend my whole life just a waitin' for you
Now don't want you back for the weekend, not back for a day (no no)
I said baby I just want you back and I want you to stay

(Chorus)

Walkin' On Sunshine Walkin' On Sunshine (yeah)
I feel alive, I feel a love, I feel a love that's really real
I feel alive, I feel a love
I feel a love that's really real I'm on sunshine baby, oh
Oh yeah, I'm on sunshine baby, oh

(Chorus)

I say it, I say it, I say it again, now
And don't it feel good, hey, yeah now
And don't it feel good
Now don't it, don't it, don't it, don't it, don't it, don't it feel good
I say it, I say it, I say it again, now
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:17:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Wah.  I want one
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:17:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Wow, I bet scam artists across the country are just salivating at the chance to rip off the law abiding, tax paying, US citizens.

You just know it's going to be rampant.

"Oh, why yes I am a Katrina victim."

"But your driver's licensee says you're from New Jersey"

"But I like Cajun food."

"Oh, well in that case, here take five debit cards"

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:19:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Well, they're not "heroes" yet, but it won't be long. You don't have to live like a refugee, but sometimes it ain't so bad.

Ok, let me get this straight.  You just lost all your worldly posessions.  You have no home, no clothes, no food, etc. and you think a $2000 debit card is like winning the lottery?

When was the last time you bought clothes, food, medicine, etc. for a family of 4?  $2000 won't make it 2 months.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:21:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

BigDozer66

tech he is correct,i heard that on the radio and had to look up the definition

ref·u·gee n.
   One who flees in search of refuge, as in times of war, political oppression, or religious persecution.

an individual seeking refuge or asylum; especially : an individual who has left his or her native country and is unwilling or unable to return to it because of persecution or fear of persecution (as because of race, religion, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion)

n : an exile who flees for safety

ex·ile  
n.
        1. Enforced removal from one's native country.
        2. Self-imposed absence from one's country.
  2. The condition or a period of living away from one's native country.
  3. One who lives away from one's native country, whether because of expulsion or voluntary absence.

but then again found this

ref·uge  
n.
  1. Protection or shelter, as from danger or hardship.
  2. A place providing protection or shelter.
  3. A source of help, relief, or comfort in times of trouble.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:24:57 AM EDT
[#9]
$2,000 bucks, huh....   Why not make it $10,000 ?

More milk from the .gov tit
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:28:44 AM EDT
[#10]
When will the nanny state end?  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:30:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BigDozer66

tech he is correct,i heard that on the radio and had to look up the definition

ref·u·gee n.
   One who flees in search of refuge, as in times of war, political oppression, or religious persecution.

an individual seeking refuge or asylum; especially : an individual who has left his or her native country and is unwilling or unable to return to it because of persecution or fear of persecution (as because of race, religion, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion)

n : an exile who flees for safety

ex·ile  
n.
        1. Enforced removal from one's native country.
        2. Self-imposed absence from one's country.
  2. The condition or a period of living away from one's native country.
  3. One who lives away from one's native country, whether because of expulsion or voluntary absence.

but then again found this

ref·uge  
n.
  1. Protection or shelter, as from danger or hardship.
  2. A place providing protection or shelter.
  3. A source of help, relief, or comfort in times of trouble.

Or maybe this part of the definition fits in this time of refuge...from the storm and subsequent flooding?

Po-tay-toe - Po-tah-toe?

There are over a 1/4 million of them that have sought asylum/refuge in a different Country...Texas!

BigDozer66

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:30:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Ok, let me get this straight. You just lost all your worldly posessions. You have no home, no clothes, no food, etc. and you think a $2000 debit card is like winning the lottery?

When was the last time you bought clothes, food, medicine, etc. for a family of 4? $2000 won't make it 2 months.

How much did all the people get when the Big Miss flooded in '93? Or anyone who lost a house in a tornado anywhere? Or earthquake? Or wildfire? Maybe I'm misinformed. If anyone has suffered the loss of a home from natural disaster here, maybe they can inform me better. Always open to correction-
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:31:04 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Wow, I bet scam artists across the country are just salivating at the chance to rip off the law abiding, tax paying, US citizens.

"But I like Cajun food."

What about those that have no ID?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:33:40 AM EDT
[#14]

When was the last time you bought clothes, food, medicine, etc. for a family of 4? $2000 won't make it 2 months.

And I'm certain they'll spend it only on necessary items. <end sarcasm>

Eddie
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:36:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I consider myself absolved of any responsibility for further assistance, since they just made me donate at gunpoint. Rescue operations and immediate needs, I consider to be the regular course of business - that is what I pay taxes for. A cash stipend is a horse of a different color.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:36:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"But I like Cajun food."

What about those that have no ID?

Debit cards for everyone!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:36:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Wonder if the debit cards are good for beer and cigs?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:38:12 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, let me get this straight.  You just lost all your worldly posessions.  You have no home, no clothes, no food, etc. and you think a $2000 debit card is like winning the lottery?

When was the last time you bought clothes, food, medicine, etc. for a family of 4?  $2000 won't make it 2 months.  

What kind of mature adult doesn't have a financial cushion
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:40:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Have you Texans gotten any yet? Dress down, lose your wallet, and go get a free AR or two.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:44:02 AM EDT
[#20]

It's unclear how much the debit card program will cost the government, but it's likely to run into the hundreds of millions of dollars since hundreds of thousands of people have been displaced.

A little simple math starts to give us an idea.

338964 residents of New Orleans alone that are over 19.
times 2000
equals 677,928,000

Now add in the rest of LA and the other states hit.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:44:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Might as well give them free crack and a fucking pipe to smoke it..............
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:48:02 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
When will the nanny state end?  

It won't no longer....we went down the slippery slope on 9/11.

While that day was an absolute tragedy, and thinking of it still makes my blood boil, and stirs my dislike of the muslim hordes....

I don't quite get why the families of the victims in this case got on average more than $1 million in payoffs from the Gov...since when is the gov, by way of the taxpayers responsible to give large sums of cash to victims of tragedies? What about all those families before 9/11, you know, the ones effected by natural disasters, or terrorism...how about the families of the Marines killed in Beirut? Etc, etc.

Cash handouts from the gov to victims is wrong...thank a lib....
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:48:54 AM EDT
[#23]
liquor and tobacco stores are going to be rejoicing at the increase in sales
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:51:18 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

And crack dealers are rushing out to get those debit machines
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:51:26 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

+1 I'd feel a lot better if they could somehow limit the cards to essential items.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:51:35 AM EDT
[#26]
How long until one of the refugees is shown on tv complaining that they -only- got $2,000 ?

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:52:07 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Have you Texans gotten any yet? Dress down, lose your wallet, and go get a free AR or two.  

I'm damn tempted.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:52:08 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So the flood destroyed their bank accounts, ATM cards, credit cards, and emergency cash?  Even if their bajk & credit card were destoyed they can get new ones.

Another case of .gov rewarding the unprepared sheep at the taxpayers expense.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:52:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Oh yeah, they'll be whining for plenty more before it is over and the .gov will give it to them. Our gov't is just like that of Rome and will do whatever it takes to keep the "Mob" happy. Gov't is scared shitless at this point and everyone is scrambling to cover their ass. Pathetic. Our elected officilas are a joke in this country and other than increase their own bloated bureaucracies they are largely inneffective. One thing for sure though, whatever they do it will cost 4-10X what it would cost private enterprise.
And since it isn't their mnoey, it is ours, they don't really give a shit. Bush will dole it out to all the whiny fucking losers with their GD hands out whining for more and just lump it in to the National Debt. Only good thing, if you consider it in the proper light, is it will bring and end to all this entitlement shit a little sooner. The nearly $1Trillion I expect this all to cost will bring about this nation's economic collapse even sooner. Maybe it'll now happen before the Chinese are ready to take us on, instead of after.

This'll be like the WTC bunch only worse. Bitching about why Joe got more than Desirae, "I want mine now", "Where's my fucking money", blah, blah, blah.
Like I said, we should have blown the fucking levees and MOAB'd.
Country would be better off in all sorts of ways.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:55:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Can you imagine the theft and so forth this is gonna incite?

Question, my house burns to the ground because lightning strikes, does the U.S. Government give me jack shit?  Nope, didn't think so.

All you're seeing here, folks, is an attempt to silence the critics and buy votes.  I'm sure Jesse and Al will be happy to use those cards for these people.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:58:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Let's get this straight, people:

If you heeded the warnings and left when the leaving was good, you are an EVACUEE (you EVAUATED BEFORE THERE WAS A PROBLEM).

If you sat on your as until it was too late and then waited for Uncle Sam to bail your ass out, and take you elsewhere, you are a REFUGEE (you let the gubment take you to REFUGE so you can suck on the societal tit in peace and comfort).
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:58:47 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
How long until one of the refugees is shown on tv complaining that they -only- got $2,000 ?

Soon. Very soon.
You know those WTC families got $1,000,000.00 apiece........

It's all racism. Just like everything else.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:59:54 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Wonder if the debit cards are good for beer and cigs?

Invest in a liquor store, I doubt little of that money will pay for food and housing.

But that is beans compared to what the 9/11 families got. Those numbers were totally outrageous.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:00:18 AM EDT
[#34]
According to FEMA, those with insurance that is defraying their expenses don't qualify.

In other words, if you were responsible and had a job to pay for your insurance premiums, you don't get anything. The .GOV only rewards those who shirk responsibility.

The .GOV's way to deal with this? Hand people who have demonstrated their irresponsibility a large sum of money. They'll go blow all of it and we'll get to pay more.

Unfreakingbelievable.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:00:42 AM EDT
[#35]
So what's to stop me from claiming I'm a refugee and getting a card.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:01:35 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

More likely it will be Jesse or Al complaining that and that it wasn't cash.  You know, they can't get their cut if it's on a card.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:02:10 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Soon. Very soon.
You know those WTC families got $1,000,000.00 apiece........

It's all racism. Just like everything else.

Just like that woman who blew it all on designer clothes too?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:05:01 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
According to FEMA, those with insurance that is defraying their expenses don't qualify.

In other words, if you were responsible and had a job to pay for your insurance premiums, you don't get anything. The .GOV only rewards those who shirk responsibility.

The .GOV's way to deal with this? Hand people who have demonstrated their irresponsibility a large sum of money. They'll go blow all of it and we'll get to pay more.

Unfreakingbelievable.

It really makes it worth going into work today
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:06:10 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And crack dealers are rushing out to get those debit machines

I wouldn't be entirely shocked if there weren't already dealers that take credit cards, even by internet.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:06:34 AM EDT
[#40]
What makes these people any different that the folks that lost homes and jobs due to Andrew, Ivan... etc?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:07:48 AM EDT
[#41]
The more I hear, the more I remember that poster from the 70's/80's....

You know the one of the guy standing in front of his Bentley sipping champagne in his riding togs, captioned on the bottom...

Fuck the Poor!

I am trying to debate which is the better path...continue to use my intelligence and work hard and make my way by the sweat of my brow....

Or just say screw it, and do nothing, and collect my entitlements, my welfare, foodstamps, public assistance, free boxes 'o chow from the food pantry, gov handouts, etc, etc....

The I remember how I feel every time I see some fat toothless white trash or some Aunt Jemima bitch with their repective broods puchasing cart loads of crap with benefit cards I paid for, and figure I plug along....
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:09:19 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Nothing. Like I said. Debit cards for everyone!

Want to know how much it's going cost each tax paying citizen in this country to give everyone a $2000 debit card?

$5000.

$2000 to pay for your $2000 debit card and $3000 to pay for "administration fees".
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:11:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Is there ONE fucking thing thats going to come out of this that makes America look good.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:11:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Worthless sum bitches. make them get a job, or bury them with the rubble. End of story. No handouts, they have been taking YOUR money long enough.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:24:01 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Worthless sum bitches. make them get a job, or bury them with the rubble. End of story. No handouts, they have been taking YOUR money long enough.

Get jobs?  1 week+ after the hurricane there should be no need for volunteers at any of the shelters.  All able-bodied  refugees, evacuees, whatever should be responsible for some task to keep it all going.  Why are they not made to help themselves even the tiniest little bit?  Let them earn the help they're receiving for a change.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:26:23 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Just your honor and self respect.  Something the sheep in NO obviously lack.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:33:04 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just your honor and self respect.  Something the sheep in NO obviously lack.

How true.  I got fired from a job when I was in college.  It was fire me or the owner's brother-in-law (who was actually responsible).  No big deal, stupid part-time retail job.  Anyway, I actually talked myself into filing for unemployment.  I even drove down to the unemployment office.  I got all the way to the front door before realizing there was no way I could do that.  Instead I went and found another job that afternoon.  One of the best jobs Iever had.  I could not bring myself to collect money I did not feel I'd earned (even though I damn sure have).
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:52:30 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I am trying to debate which is the better path...continue to use my intelligence and work hard and make my way by the sweat of my brow....

Or just say screw it, and do nothing, and collect my entitlements, my welfare, foodstamps, public assistance, free boxes 'o chow from the food pantry, gov handouts, etc, etc....

The I remember how I feel every time I see some fat toothless white trash or some Aunt Jemima bitch with their repective broods puchasing cart loads of crap with benefit cards I paid for, and figure I plug along....

If you value your self-esteem (which you should above all else) then you should take pride in doing your work.  People who live on the dole have no self-esteem.

ETA: AR15fan beat me to it!  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:57:11 AM EDT
[#49]
That $2k would buy a really nice AR or FAL
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:07:23 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
That $2k would buy a really nice AR or FAL

Nah, you just steal that during a storm.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top