Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2005 7:59:48 AM EDT
So my father and I were having a discussion the other day and he said marriage laws work such that anything a spouse owns before a marriage is NOT community property and cannot be divided after a divorce, like say a house. Is this true? I was under the impression that once you tied the knot, everything became community property. Does anybody know how this works from state to state?

No, I'm not getting married anytime soon. I just want to know what the truth is!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:01:39 AM EDT
[#1]
depends on the state, laws vary. If a person owned a home before marriage, and during said marriage the partner contributed to making payments on that home, then the partner should be entitled to a said portion of the proceeds of that property. But laws are different YMMV and all that.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:02:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Depends on where you live. When in doubt PRENUP.

Here it's so called equitable division of assests. And if you have been married for a while that inlcludes everything. No matter if you had it before the marriage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top