Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/7/2005 7:30:12 AM EDT
I am selling some stuff on ebay so that I can buy a decent watch.  I have always wanted a nicer watch.  What would you pick in the $700-$1,000 price range? I am thinking that I might get more for money buying a pre-owned watch off ebay, but I am sure there are some risks with that...

I know, I know...Timex for $20....Timex for $20...
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:31:14 AM EDT
[#1]
G-Shock for -$100
Rest in ammo.

Common sense always wins out
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:31:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:31:27 AM EDT
[#3]
A used Omega Seamaster or Speedmaster.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:31:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I would get an M-4gery, with a Timex strapped to the handguard.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:31:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Tape a Timex to the side of a new Bushmaster.

ETA:damn its scary when other people have the same thoughts!

Do you hear the voices too?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:32:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Tape a Timex to the side of a new Bushmaster.

+1
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:33:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:33:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd buy another Bushie, and ask the guy next to me what time it was.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:33:41 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I am selling some stuff on ebay so that I can buy a decent watch.  I have always wanted a nicer watch.  What would you pick in the $700-$1,000 price range? I am thinking that I might get more for money buying a pre-owned watch off ebay, but I am sure there are some risks with that...

I'd save up some more and get a used ROLEX.

I'm happy with my SubMariner, although I bought it new.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:34:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I was thinking that also.  I like the looks of some of the Breitlings.  Omega better than Breitling?  Might be harder to find a Breitling in that price rang, but it looks like there are some.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:35:40 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd save up some more and get a used ROLEX.

I'm happy with my SubMariner, although I bought it new.

I don't want to seem pretentious.  I would worry people would make a big deal because it's a Rolex, versus some brand they have never heard of but might cost as much.  Have any trouble with people making comments?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:36:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
G-Shock for -$100
Rest in ammo.

I meant to ask for a G-Shock for X-Mas a few years ago, but ended up asking for a Baby G-Shock which (er ahem) is apparently a girl's watch. I thought the band was a little to neat looking. It does have a little guy that dances on screen every time the minute hand changes-too bad I can't figure out how to turn the alarm and hourly chime off (yes I read the directions). I had to put it in a drawer at the other end of the house so it wouldn't keep waking me up.

I know that we are at least two of the guys on here who could buy any watch we wanted, funny how a nice $100 watch is good enough.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:36:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Well, for that money I'd probably go with a used Omega.  The most expensive watch that I've ever considered (but did not buy) was a Movado automatic which retails for a grand but sells for $550 from bluedial.com.  IMHO if you're gonna go in the $1,000 range you might as well make it a watch in the upper tier (e.g. Rolex, Omega) instead of getting a fancy mid-range watch.

That said, I wouldn't spend $700-1000 on a watch as a starting proposition anyway.  I have three watches and the most expensive one was $220 (Seiko titanium).

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:37:28 AM EDT
[#14]
As far as I'm concerned it's hard to beat those $20 Timex's. I do have a $100 Citizen the ex gave me for Xmas once-upon-a-time for dress use. But I need to buy a battery for it. That's how often I dress up any more.

Then I'd spend the rest on a new kit and receiver and the leftover in ammo.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:38:17 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Do you hear the voices too?

Is that you.......GTF out!

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:38:30 AM EDT
[#16]
I have always liked the black stainless band watches, which are usually super expensive.  Oakley has come out with a couple that I like for under $700, im just alittle weary because I dont know anything about Oakley as a watch company.  Heres the pic of the one Im interested in. Heres a link to there watch section also.  Just about all their watches can be had with a black band.

Oakley Watches

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:40:24 AM EDT
[#17]
I've seen better deals on some of the watch forums like broadarrow.net, equationoftime.com & pmwf.com than on ebay.

I recently picked up a lightly used Omega Seamaster Pro w/ a black dial for $850 shipped on equationoftime.com
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:40:56 AM EDT
[#18]
What watch would you get for $700-$1000?

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:41:49 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I know that we are at least two of the guys on here who could buy any watch we wanted, funny how a nice $100 watch is good enough.

I'm in that club too, I can buy whatever I want.  A few years ago I did.  I bought a Rolex
GMT Master and a couple of Breitlings.  Guess where they are?  In the safe. Guess
what's on my arm?  Cheapo digital from Target.

Rolexes are a pain in the ass if you don't wear them every day since they run down.
If you deal with customers at all, they look at you like you're an asshole when you try to
sell things and dont' want to give discounts.  "You can buy a Rolex so you need to give me
more discount".  Keep your money, put it somewhere it will do some good.  

You don't
want to hear this because your ego is screaming in your ear, but the only time
you  should buy a watch like that is if you have so much money that you don't blink
when you spend it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:41:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I don't want to seem pretentious.  I would worry people would make a big deal because it's a Rolex, versus some brand they have never heard of but might cost as much.  Have any trouble with people making comments?

they are actually becoming quite common.  I see quite a few guys at the gym with $20,000+ ROLEX's on their arms.  I get alot of compliments, and mine is pretty much entry level at around $3,600-$4,700ish
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:42:00 AM EDT
[#21]
It's 11:44am. I just saved you $1000. You're welcome.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:42:20 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I've seen better deals on some of the watch forums like broadarrow.net, equationoftime.com & pmwf.com than on ebay.

I recently picked up a lightly used Omega Seamaster Pro w/ a black dial for $850 shipped on equationoftime.com

Sweet!  Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:42:54 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
It's 11:44am. I just saved you $1000. You're welcome.

lol!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:43:05 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
G-Shock for -$100
Rest in ammo.

I meant to ask for a G-Shock for X-Mas a few years ago, but ended up asking for a Baby G-Shock which (er ahem) is apparently a girl's watch. I thought the band was a little to neat looking. It does have a little guy that dances on screen every time the minute hand changes-too bad I can't figure out how to turn the alarm and hourly chime off (yes I read the directions). I had to put it in a drawer at the other end of the house so it wouldn't keep waking me up.

LMAO.  Don't the baby G's come in hot pink, yellow, electric purple, uh and other manly colors?

G Shocks are nice watches, but mine lost the start/stop button located at the bottom of the crystal at some point during its long and distinguished career.  It was a big sucker too.

I bought a Swiss Army Air Force stainless watch from a jeweler in Florida for $625.  It keeps outstanding time (swiss movement) and my b-day present Tag Heur from getting beat up at work, the range, during yardwork, etc.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:43:08 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
G-Shock for -$100
Rest in ammo.

Best advice I seen on the internet all day!!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:43:25 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
G-Shock for -$100
Rest in ammo.

Yup.

If you gotta have a bling watch, try to get a used Submariner or Seamaster...dunno if you can for the money though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:43:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:44:14 AM EDT
[#28]
A Wenger and $600-900 worth of goodies.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:44:18 AM EDT
[#29]
G-Shock for $45 and then another AR-15.

I wear a watch about three weeks a year.  I am very pleased to not give two shits what time it is!!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:46:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:46:54 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
G-Shock for $45 and then another AR-15.

I wear a watch about three weeks a year.  I am very pleased to not give two shits what time it is!!!

G-shocks, at least the one i bought was nearly 140 bucks.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:46:57 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm in that club too, I can buy whatever I want.  A few years ago I did.  I bought a Rolex
GMT Master and a couple of Breitlings.  Guess where they are?  In the safe. Guess

Rolexes are a pain in the ass if you don't wear them every day since they run down.
If you deal with customers at all, they look at you like you're an asshole when you try to
sell things and dont' want to give discounts.  "You can buy a Rolex so you need to give me

You don't
you  should buy a watch like that is if you have so much money that you don't blink
when you spend it.

See, it's not an ego thing.  That is why I would be leary of getting a Rolex.  I enjoy nice things and have had a thing for watches since I was a kid.  I have always wanted a nice watch.  I am selling a bunch of my old records to pay for it.  It's not about appearing snobby or anything like that.  I doubt many people know that my pocket knife costs $400, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy it for what it is.  

But I should probably just spend the money on something more sensible... how boring
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:48:34 AM EDT
[#33]
I've got a brand new in the box never been worn beauty .

It's a BK SS ORIGANAL . It comes in a durable metal contianer and has time AND date . If you get tiered of the time/ date you can flip the watch around WHILE STILL on your arm .
When you do there's sponge bob squarepants big ol happy face to brighten your Tactical Situation .

No price as this is not EE , IM me for a good deal !
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:49:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:49:42 AM EDT
[#35]
It doesn't have to be an ego thing.

I was a watch "collector" as a kid long before I ever owned any guns.  

Shiny things with precise moving parts fascinate me I guess.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:52:58 AM EDT
[#36]
My super Duper cell phone has a clock on it.

I also have a pretty snazzy kinetic auto relay.

If you have a cell phone, a watch is just jewelry. Go buy a gun or something.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:53:04 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

+1.....and I own a Rolex GMT. A good watch will hold it's vaue. I paid $1800 new, and it is still worth that.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:54:44 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't
when you spend it.

See, it's not an ego thing.  That is why I would be leary of getting a Rolex.  I enjoy nice things and have had a thing for watches since I was a kid.  I have always wanted a nice watch.  I am selling a bunch of my old records to pay for it.  It's not about appearing snobby or anything like that.  I doubt many people know that my pocket knife costs $400, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy it for what it is.  

But I should probably just spend the money on something more sensible... how boring

I have been into watches all my life as well, if you want one go for it. I was just saying depending
on what your job is it can do more harm than good.   There's an old saying:

Never do business with a rich salesman or a poor lawyer.

In my case it was hurting my business....
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:56:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Seems like chick jewelry to me.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:59:31 AM EDT
[#40]
I've already got a watch. It's 130 years old and keeps perfect time.

Why would I want to buy another one?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:59:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:00:02 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I remember when I first went out on my own and waited til I got some business in before even turning the phone on I was so scared I was not going to make it. A lady came in that first day and talked to me, then wanted to use the phone to call a cab--oops

Sounds like me getting started.

Did she hire you?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:00:07 AM EDT
[#43]
The time is on my cell phone in my pocket. I would never spen that kind of $$ on a watch.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:02:29 AM EDT
[#44]
For those that say that their $30 Casio is just as good, I can equate that comparison to this:

Which would you rather have:

or

They both do the same thing, right?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:06:42 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
G-Shock for -$100
Rest in ammo.

I'm a third.

Currently wearing a $40 Casio.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:08:41 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
For those that say that their $30 Casio is just as good, I can equate that comparison to this:

images.gunsamerica.com/upload/976546049-1.jpg

or

home.austin.rr.com/perdurabo/sks.jpg

Uh...... Sure. Good comparison.

I don't need to tell time to the picosecond (or with a lot of bling), whereas I need to shoot .025 MOA if I'm a sniper.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:09:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:10:35 AM EDT
[#48]
none.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:22:56 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

images.gunsamerica.com/upload/976546049-1.jpg

or

home.austin.rr.com/perdurabo/sks.jpg

One is more accurate than the other (among other things). When it comes to telling time, a $30 is plenty accurate. We're talking about eye candy, here. A better comparison:

What he needs:

What he seems to want:

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:24:59 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
G-Shock for -$100
Rest in ammo.

Best advice I seen on the internet all day!!!

+1
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top