Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2005 11:53:33 PM EDT
I've looked for an hour and am more confused than before. (Yes, I have also posted this on truck sites, but thought I'd try here too because of the wealth of information ARFCOMERS share).  :)

I just bought my first diesel... 2006 cummins QC 4x4 automatic. I don't have an owner's manual and all this reading has gotten me scared I'm hurting my truck.

How do I know what my EGT's are?  I understand I need to keep these below 1300 or something like that?

Is there a starting and/or warmup procedure I need to follow?

Is there a shutdown/cool down procedure I need to follow?

This is my daily driver so most trips will be short 15 mile trips one-way, but a few times a month I'll do long 800 mile trips.  What do I need to watch for?

Help me... all this reading about carefully monitoring EGT's and such has me freaked out like I'm going to crack my engine or turbo, but all I got is the stock temp gauges.  :(

--Lost in diesel land
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:56:00 PM EDT
[#1]
owners manual
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:58:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:41:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Have you done any modifications to the trucks fuel system.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:44:58 AM EDT
[#4]
+1... WTF!!! Goto the damn dealer and say "gimme my damn manual"

Cause I dont know jack about diesel..Sorry.

Quoted:
2006, that's a new truck.  Where's your owner's manual?

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:02:56 AM EDT
[#5]
if the truck is stock then you have little to worry about.

But if you modify the fuel intake by a superchip you had best get a free flow exhaust first.
If you have an exhaust smaller than 4 inches your best upgrade is a 4 inch muffler and header (or manifold I forget which).

There are gauges out there that can tell ou how hot your engine is running and such.

This information is not first hand I just picked it up from all over the place.

A manufactors manual is a real must.  Go to where you got the truck or a dealer for the truck and get one.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:00:04 AM EDT
[#6]
If your truck is stock drive it and don't worry about EGT.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:02:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Go to the dealer and ask for the owners manual, or IIRC you can download it from Dodge's website
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:05:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If your truck is stock drive it and don't worry about EGT.

x2

Even if its not stock EGT's only become a problem under load.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:11:19 AM EDT
[#9]
If it's stock and has an auto tranny, you need to quit worrying about the exhaust and save up some $$$ to fix your tranny when your huge-fucking-torque motor eats it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:24:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've looked for an hour and am more confused than before. (Yes, I have also posted this on truck sites, but thought I'd try here too because of the wealth of information ARFCOMERS share).  :)

I just bought my first diesel... 2006 cummins QC 4x4 automatic. I don't have an owner's manual and all this reading has gotten me scared I'm hurting my truck.

First off, get the manual.

How do I know what my EGT's are?  I understand I need to keep these below 1300 or something like that?

Your motor ECU will know what the exhaust gas tempratures are. Unless you have changed the fuel delivery system somehow, you do not need to keep track of theose temps. If you really want to know, you can add a gauge or use a scan type tool that plugs into your diagnostic port and shows real time engine information.

Is there a starting and/or warmup procedure I need to follow?

You should have a "wait" light on the dash. Turn the key until the light glows, and the lift pump, if so equipped, runs. Wait (duh) until the light goes out then start the truck. Your truck may be different, but the wait light is timing the glow plugs. It will light longer when cold, shorter when warm.

Is there a shutdown/cool down procedure I need to follow?

If you have a turbo equipped diesel, you should let the motor run at idle if the motor is hot. This lets the oil cool down a bit an then the turbo bearings will habve cooled  down a bit too. SO when the motor and oil pump stops, you won't "cook" the bearings in the turbo. If your truck has a "turbo timer" this running time is automatically done for you.  Otherwise, shut down as normal.

This is my daily driver so most trips will be short 15 mile trips one-way, but a few times a month I'll do long 800 mile trips.  What do I need to watch for?

Nothing special to worry about. Keep an eye on the gauges. It will be noisey when cold, but will smooth out once the engine gets to temp, so don't worry to much if it seems rough when first started.

Help me... all this reading about carefully monitoring EGT's and such has me freaked out like I'm going to crack my engine or turbo, but all I got is the stock temp gauges.  :(

NO need to freak out! As I said, unless your are tweaking the fuel delivery (more fuel = higher EGT = motor / exhaust manifold / cracked heads problems) you have no need to monitor the EGTs.  Just dirve it and enjoy your new toy / tool.

--Lost in diesel land

efxguy
Hummer owner -operator
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:30:59 AM EDT
[#11]
It's a 2006?
Wait until 2009 before contemplating modifications.

For now, drive it like you stole it. If it breaks, back to the stealership.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:43:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

How do I know what my EGT's are?  I understand I need to keep these below 1300 or something like that?  Unless you are towing, dont worry about it.  If you are towing, buy a engine monitor or an analog EGT gauge ( i.e. autometer)

Is there a starting and/or warmup procedure I need to follow? NO

Is there a shutdown/cool down procedure I need to follow? NO

--Lost in diesel land

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:56:38 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a 2005 2500 with the 600 Cummins and a 6 speed manual.

Quoted:

How do I know what my EGT's are?  I understand I need to keep these below 1300 or something like that? You only have to watch these if you have made some mods to it. If you havent dont worry about it.

Is there a starting and/or warmup procedure I need to follow? There is a warm up light on your gauge cluster. I think it looks like two arrows chasing each other. Turn the key on far enough to get that light to turn on and wait untill it shuts off before starting it.

Is there a shutdown/cool down procedure I need to follow? As stated by some one else there is no need to cool it down unless you have been driving it for long distances like you 800 mile road trips. Then all you need to do is let it run after you have stopped to let the turbocool down.

This is my daily driver so most trips will be short 15 mile trips one-way, but a few times a month I'll do long 800 mile trips.  What do I need to watch for? Try to get used to changing the oil every 7500 to 12000 miles rather than 3000. For the first few months I would freak my self out when ever I went over 3000. Then I would re-read the manual just to make sure it really said 7500.

--Lost in diesel land

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:20:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the info... getting the manual today.  They just didn't have it handy when I got the truck so I was worried about what to do in the meantime.  They called and have it now.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:22:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I have a 2005 2500 with the 600 Cummins and a 6 speed manual

Very smart going with the manual.  Dodge is supposed to have a decent automatic in 2006, but only time will tell.........any word?

If you modify your exhaust and you get up early to drive to work, don't be surprised when a neighbor icepicks your tires.........
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:19:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Just watch your engine temp, as mentioned the only damage you can realy do if un-modified is shut it off while its hot.  If it does not have a turbo timer, then let it sit a few minutes before turing it off so it will cool.  This is only needed for situations like just after towing or high speed driving.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:27:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Let the truck idle for a 30 seconds to a minute after starting.

Let the truck idle for 1 minute or so before shutting it down. If you have been towing, or driving hard, let the truck idle for a 2-3 minutes before shut down. This lets the oil in the turbocharger cool down, and will prevent cooking it and hurting the turbo bearing.

Most trucks 100% stock will not have high EGT issues under any conditions. If you are still worried about it, have a 4" exhaust installed, it will help the engine run a little cooler, will sound much better, and will not void your warrenty as long as all the factory emission control parts are left on.

Do what you can in the first 3000 miles of ownership to tow heavy loads, this will help break the motor in, and will also help improve fuel milage.

Most, if not all Cummins powered Dodges I have worked on, including my own truck, the 4 that my Father owns, and dozens of customers I have, have reported milage improvements as the truck gets more milage on it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:41:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Pre turbo temp or post turbo temp means a lot. You have a fine engine in your truck expect about 19 mpg to 21 mpg Depending on YOUR driving style I would still put Gauges in the truck they will pay for themselves The First time you overheat your tranny. Total cost for gauges is about 330.00 I love mine plus once you start bombing you won't stop. Always let the EGT's Cool down to below 300 before shutting down Preferably 250 Pre Turbo. If you want gauges look at GOS Racing Or Genoes garage.  

Hope this helps Superfly
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:46:12 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
owners manual

+1
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:54:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have a 2005 2500 with the 600 Cummins and a 6 speed manual

Very smart going with the manual.  Dodge is supposed to have a decent automatic in 2006, but only time will tell.........any word?

If you modify your exhaust and you get up early to drive to work, don't be surprised when a neighbor icepicks your tires.........

I have heard the same but havent heard any reports on the new tranny.

If you really want to piss off the neibors get an exaust break put on, about 1700$ but well worth it in what it will save you in breaks. Plus its super fun to pull up next to people who are on cell phones with the windows down and put your tail pipe about even with their window and turn it on. I get some of the best looks from those people.

ETA: I leave at 0400 in the morning.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:58:24 AM EDT
[#21]
02 Ford Super Duty 7.3L PowerStroke

if it's 100% stock, EGT cannot get above 1000 degrees.  1200 is when bad things start to happen.  PowerStrokes do not have a temp probe for the EGT.  when we installed the gauges, we had to drill/tap the manifold for the thermocouple.

now, for your Cummins:

STEP 1:  install a 4" exaust system.  preferably starting at the turbo outlet. (+20 HP easily)

STEP 2:  install a set of gauges.  with the manual, you only need Boost and EGT. (no HP )

STEP 3:  install a 3-stage prgrammer of your choice (+ up to 250 HP)

that shouldn't void your warranty (if anything would, it'd be the exaust), and you'll be seeing the numbers that Cummins was DESIGNED to put out.  but always keep an eye on the EGT when you've got it tuned up.  bad things (melted pistons, valves, fawked-over heads) start to happen at 1200 degrees
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:01:17 AM EDT
[#22]
What was posted above is very good information....

Your milage will improve when the engine breaks in (10000) miles
If you drive it hard (hill climbing, towing excess of 6k pounds) let it idle for a couple minutes.
Other than that, have fun. The cummins the best engine in ANY truck on the market.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:04:10 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
02 Ford Super Duty 7.3L PowerStroke

if it's 100% stock, EGT cannot get above 1000 degrees.  1200 is when bad things start to happen.  PowerStrokes do not have a temp probe for the EGT.  when we installed the gauges, we had to drill/tap the manifold for the thermocouple.

now, for your Cummins:

STEP 1:  install a 4" exaust system.  preferably starting at the turbo outlet. (+20 HP easily)

STEP 2:  install a set of gauges.  with the manual, you only need Boost and EGT. (no HP )

STEP 3:  install a 3-stage prgrammer of your choice (+ up to 250 HP)

that shouldn't void your warranty (if anything would, it'd be the exaust), and you'll be seeing the numbers that Cummins was DESIGNED to put out.  but always keep an eye on the EGT when you've got it tuned up.  bad things (melted pistons, valves, fawked-over heads) start to happen at 1200 degrees

THAT will viod the warranty if it is proven to be the cause of the failure.

Same with exhaust from the CAT foward.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:06:10 AM EDT
[#24]
you can alwas reset the computer to stock

ETA:  cat?  my SD didn't have one.....seriously, no cat.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:17:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Any power adding device will void your warrenty faster then Rosie Odonnell at an all you can eat buffet.

It does not matter what any after market manufacturer says, the dealer can detect anything not stock.

After fuel and timing modifications are added, you are your own warrenty station.

Also, any Powerstroke 03+, DMax 04.5+ and Cummins 04.5+ has a Cat, or soot trap in the exhaust system.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:23:22 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Also, any Powerstroke 03+, DMax 04.5+ and Cummins 04.5+ has a Cat, or soot trap in the exhaust system.

AH!!!  mine is 02.  that explains.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:35:24 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
if the truck is stock then you have little to worry about.

But if you modify the fuel intake by a superchip you had best get a free flow exhaust first.
If you have an exhaust smaller than 4 inches your best upgrade is a 4 inch muffler and header (or manifold I forget which).

There are gauges out there that can tell ou how hot your engine is running and such.

This information is not first hand I just picked it up from all over the place.

A manufactors manual is a real must.  Go to where you got the truck or a dealer for the truck and get one.

I know of a guy with a 2004 F350 diesel that simply WILL NOT RUN.  He's been back and forth with the dealer and Ford dozens of times, but the upshot of it is that they can't figure out what the problem is, and it's absolutely not covered by warranty because he did some 'modifications', ie, fuel system, chip, etc... not sure exactly what.  Since the thing was so expensive, he bought a Chevy Diesel, and let the bank reposses the Ford.

Remember the flowchart question:

Is it broke?

If Yes, see B.

If No,  then "Don't F**K with it"
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:41:19 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

If you really want to piss off the neibors get an exaust break put on, about 1700$ but well worth it in what it will save you in breaks. Plus its super fun to pull up next to people who are on cell phones with the windows down and put your tail pipe about even with their window and turn it on. I get some of the best looks from those people.

ETA: I leave at 0400 in the morning.

Still got a little bit of that adolescent attention craving insecurity going, eh?  I suggest some counseling or maybe thinking ahead to how you'll react someday when you are conducting yourself as an adult, ie., have learned that pissing people off is not, in and of itself, cool, and some goombah in a big truck decides to blast your neighborhood or eardrums.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top