Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2005 9:54:19 PM EDT
Muslim "law" coming to a continent near YOU

McGuinty insists women safe if shariah allowed in Ontario
September 6, 2005
Canadian Press
www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050906.wshari0906/BNStory/National/
Toronto — Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty promises the rights of women will not be compromised if the province allows Muslims to use shariah — Islamic law — to settle civil and marital disputes.

A report by former NDP attorney-general Marion Boyd recommends that Ontario allow Muslims to establish sharia-based tribunals similar to Jewish and Catholic arbitration bodies.

Mr. McGuinty said the Liberal government is reviewing Ms. Boyd's report and will produce its own recommendations "at some point in time."

He says whatever the province does, "it will be in keeping with the values of Ontarians and Canadians."

When asked what he meant by that, McGuinty said people will just have to be patient.

Marches to protest against the possibility of allowing shariah in Ontario are planned this week for cities around the world, including Toronto, Paris, London, Stockholm and Düsseldorf, Germany.

Opponents contend that the push for shariah is part of an extremist Islamic agenda, and they say it discriminates against women in basic matters such as divorce, inheritance rights and child custody.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:00:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I wonder how much they will like Quran 4:34 being interpreted.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:06:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I say good.  Let them choke on their own PC-ness.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:08:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I've noticed an abundance of pc in the USA too
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:12:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I say good.  Let them choke on their own PC-ness.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:22:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Idiot.  Typical canuck logic at work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top