Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2005 7:12:08 PM EDT
 I'm not even sure how many syllables are in the word!    Thanks.

TC

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:14:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Lah- Poo-ah  , I think.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:19:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks AMZ.  I'll go with that, unless anyone else has any input.  

TC

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:19:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Lah- Poo-ah  , I think.

Thats how I pronounce it. I don't know that its correct though. I haven't ever heard it pronounced another way.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Lah- Poo-ah  , I think.

Thats how I pronounce it. I don't know that its correct though. I haven't ever heard it pronounced another way.

It's right.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:30:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Lah- Poo-ah  , I think.

It's right.

Thanks guys.  I guess we're finnish-ed with this thread.  

TC
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:30:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Lah- Poo-ah  , I think.

Same here.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:30:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say it before.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:20:16 PM EDT
[#8]
It's Lah-pooh-a  with the "lah" emphasized ,  just like you guys said.
I speak Finnish so you're right.

We have a couple of Suomalinen on the board as well, we can record a wav of one of them if you want to hear it.

now on to my other pet peeve mispronunciaion; Leupold.  It's Lew-pold.  Not Leo-pold.  

oh yeah also Sako.  It's Sock-O with emphasis on the first syllable (all finnish words carry emphasis on the first syllable although Sako is an acronym and not truly a word,  they still emphasise the first syllable.  

I bought a Sock-o  in .338 Lah-pooh-ah and mounted a lew-pold on it.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:53:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Years ago there was an advert. in one of the gun mags. for Lapua bullets. They mentioned that they had many inquiries about proper pronunciation of thier name, The phonetic spelling they used IIRC was "Lop-wa" or maybe "Lop wah". This was maybe 15 - 20 years back and since then that's the way I say it.
Hey it's thier name, they should know, right?

Depending on how you pronounce the versions written in earlier posts, it probably sounds the same anyway.

Don in Ohio
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:54:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Lah- Poo-ah  , I think.

that the way i have always said it
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:13:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Lah-Poo-ah.

Thats how we pronounce it here in Finland.

(crashburnrepeat: Btw its "suomalainen" not Suomalinen)
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:18:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I can't tell you how many people I hear pronounce Swarovski as "Swah- Vor- Ski". I hate that. It's pronounced like it's spelled, "Swar-Ov-Ski" or even "Swar-Off-Ski" is acceptable. Probably one of the most common mistakes I hear.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:27:47 AM EDT
[#13]
On the subject of pronunciations, what about Vltor?

Is the V like a U?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:44:16 AM EDT
[#14]
You're all wrong It's Lap-you-aah
That's how I say it and that's good enough for me.
That's how they would pronunce it in Finland too

Mark
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:47:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Lap wah.  Short for Lapland, Wah Hoo!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:49:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I never knew. So I always said "la pow".

That's "la pow" not "le pow" Le pow sounds too French, thus too gay.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:57:41 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Lap wah.  Short for Lapland, Wah Hoo!

that's how i say it...
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:58:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:00:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:05:18 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's Lah-pooh-a  with the "lah" emphasized ,  just like you guys said.
I speak Finnish so you're right.

We have a couple of Suomalinen on the board as well, we can record a wav of one of them if you want to hear it.

now on to my other pet peeve mispronunciaion; Leupold.  It's Lew-pold.  Not Leo-pold.  

oh yeah also Sako.  It's Sock-O with emphasis on the first syllable (all finnish words carry emphasis on the first syllable although Sako is an acronym and not truly a word,  they still emphasise the first syllable.  

I bought a Sock-o  in .338 Lah-pooh-ah and mounted a lew-pold on it.  

Oh my God--someone else knows this.  I get so damned tired of guys correcting me for saying "sock-o" and "lew-pold."  Thank you, thank you.  

For what it's worth BK1, I also pronounce them the correct way.

But I'm always getting strange looks, but usually don't get "corrected". But then I live in an area full of ignorant hicks.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:08:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:38:58 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Don't forget that tikka is tick-a

Actually Tikka is Finnish too and it's not Tick-a it's Teak, uh.  Again there is a very slight, almost imperceptible pause between Teak and uh.  That's because they actually pronounce both the "k"s so it causes a slight pause.

I forgot about Tikka,  another commonly mispronounced gun word..... but you can hardly be expected to pronounce Finnish words correctly all the time. That language is a bugger to try and learn.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:42:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Years ago there was an advert. in one of the gun mags. for Lapua bullets. They mentioned that they had many inquiries about proper pronunciation of thier name, The phonetic spelling they used IIRC was "Lop-wa" or maybe "Lop wah". This was maybe 15 - 20 years back and since then that's the way I say it.
Hey it's thier name, they should know, right?

Depending on how you pronounce the versions written in earlier posts, it probably sounds the same anyway.

Don in Ohio

I would agree with this phonetic pronunciation,  the word is Lah-pooh-ah but if you heard a Finn speak it it would sound like Lop-ua  (lop-ooh-a)  

I'll make a recording when I get back home and post it if anyone cares.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:44:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Any Particular reason you asked this question?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:46:22 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
You're all wrong It's Lap-you-aah
That's how I say it and that's good enough for me.
That's how they would pronunce it in Finland too

Mark

Puhun Suomea.  et ole oikeassa.  ei sanotaan "lap-you-aahksi".

Sanotaan LOP-ooh-a.

Edited to add: I'm a  know-it-all showoff bastich.  Sorry!  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:48:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Any Particular reason you asked this question?

lol, Green95LX.   You know it's because when I ask you to shoot your Lapua 338 Magnum, I don't want to sound silly!  

TC
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:49:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Also, the AR in AR-15 is pronounced ARGHHHHH!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:51:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Also, the AR in AR-15 is pronounced ARGHHHHH!

lol!  I always thought is was AARRRRRR.  AR15, the pirates choice!  

TC

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:55:43 PM EDT
[#29]
yep
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#30]
My mother is Finnish and I've spent a good deal of my childhood there.   Very nice country, nice people, and most importantly nice rifles.    

It's pronounced (La-puwa)  The 'U' is very soft and the whole word is pronounced rather quickly.     Most Finnish words are pronounced incorrectly by Americans, so us Fins are used to it and don't bother correcting people.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top