Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/6/2005 7:11:53 PM EDT
FEMA is handing out cases of MREs in my area, and I tried them today.  I was pleasantly surprised at how good they were!  For lunch I had beef ravioli, and for dinner I had a beef patty with mac & cheese.  Each meal comes with a little heating bag that heats the meal in its pouch by just adding water to the bag.  I brought food with me, but honestly, these are the best meals I've had since returning several days ago.  Our soldiers eat well!

--Mike
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:14:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I love the things.  I used to have a picture of me eating one, lemme see if I can find it.......
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:14:28 PM EDT
[#2]
How much for a few cases or ever how many?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:14:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Try eating the same damn 12 choices though for a month...it does get bland. But yes, they are quite good. They are also hell on your digestive tract. lol.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:15:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Agreed.. I think they are good.. I ate a  Nut Roll from the Korean war ( dad gave it to me as a joke when I was 10 or 11) It was a real C ration...Came in a can.. Wasnt really that bad, just kinda dry... Ate the whole damn thing..
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:17:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Bean and rice burrito meal.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Try eating the same damn 12 choices though for a month...it does get bland. But yes, they are quite good. They are also hell on your digestive tract. lol.

C-rats got bland, too.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:17:53 PM EDT
[#7]
whatever you do, dont eat the burrito

Yes, they are pretty good, but like it has been said before, they are hell on your digestive system.

I am partial to chili-mac and boneless pork chop myself.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:19:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Agreed.. I think they are good.. I ate a  Nut Roll from the Korean war ( dad gave it to me as a joke when I was 10 or 11) It was a real C ration...Came in a can.. Wasnt really that bad, just kinda dry... Ate the whole damn thing..

Me thinks that those who whole ditest school food or airplane food bitch the most about MREs.  (Institution food is best term)   I like (most) hospital/airplane/army/school food. Yum.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:19:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

junior.apk.net/~scotts/mre6.jpg

Hahaha, you should've made a Dinner Pic out of that.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:21:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

junior.apk.net/~scotts/mre6.jpg

Hahaha, you should've made a Dinner Pic out of that.

it looks like did, but is just missing some elements - like a measuring device, stapler (if he is eating it for breakfast), and of course, a firearm of some kind.

He does have the beverage, napkin, and eating utensils there though.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:21:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me thinks that those who whole ditest school food or airplane food bitch the most about MREs.  (Institution food is best term)   I like (most) hospital/airplane/army/school food. Yum.

Yep.. I love school food... Seriously.. The square pizza was one of the best..
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:24:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Someone told me you could take the heater and make one hell of noise using a water bottle.
Ever heard of this???   Don't know if fully explaining this would violate COC??
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:27:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Lived off that crap for about 6 months while deployed (GW1) back when there were only 12 selections (for those who remember; Chicken al King, Beef Stew, Pork Pattie , oatmeal bars chicken and wood rice ) and while they start out ok, they get old real fast.  After awhile you can't put enough Tabasco on them to make em' taste any better.  When theres nothing else to eat they are great but by no means will I go outta my way for them.  The novelty wore off about the second week
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:27:39 PM EDT
[#14]
MREs are yummy... They will either A.) make you shit a lot...or B.) Stop you the fuck up to the point where you are begging to take a shit.... I mean like; "Honey, will you stick your finger up my ass and wiggle it around a bit."

Carry on, glad you are okay.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:28:58 PM EDT
[#15]
yeah, tear up the pad, put the strips in a bottle of water with about an inch of water in it. makes a loud BOOM, doesnt hurt anyone or anything though.

the longest i lived off of MREs was 7 weeks straight.  i think i went #2 6 times in that period. if you find yourself eating MREs long term i have 2 tips.

1. the first time you need to go #2 GO IMMEDIATELY. if you miss your "shit window" you'll have to wait a couple days

2. try and get the handicapped stall.... you're gonna need those hand-rails.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:29:23 PM EDT
[#16]
oops slamfire
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:29:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey! Save me about 10 cases. I'll even come get them!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I like the oatmeal bars

I like the crakers and cheese too.

Hey mcaswell, Enjoy your next bowel movement sometimes after the autumnal equinox!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:31:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
if you find yourself eating MREs long term i have 2 tips.

1. the first time you need to go #2 GO IMMEDIATELY. if you miss your "shit window" you'll have to wait a couple days

That is the absolute truth.  Good tips.

also, going #2 while eating MREs long term is a very painful experience
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:32:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I love MREs.  Never had a trouble with BMs either, but then the most I've eaten was probably 2 in one day.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:35:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Lived off that crap for about 6 months while deployed (GW1) back when there were only 12 selections (for those who remember; Chicken al King, Beef Stew, Pork Pattie , oatmeal bars chicken and wood rice ) and while they start out ok, they get old real fast.  After awhile you can't put enough Tabasco on them to make em' taste any better.  When theres nothing else to eat they are great but by no means will I go outta my way for them.  The novelty wore off about the second week

Would you include the old Beef Stew in that assessment?  I fully understand where you're coming from, but I swear the old Beef Stew selection was as good as Denti Moore.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:35:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I mean like; "Honey, will you stick your finger up my ass and wiggle it around a bit."

Now that's funny.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:37:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Taking a dump is overrated.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:40:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I mean like; "Honey, will you stick your finger up my ass and wiggle it around a bit."

Now that's funny.

My ribs hurt from laughing at that.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:41:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Have you ever noticed that all MRE's have the same under smell/taste?  I don't know if it's because of all the preservatives, but I can't stand the smell of MRE's after I've been eating them for a week straight.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:42:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Ugghhh...the burritos are turds coated in mucous.

When I was in Basic, I thought MREs were the shit.  Then the novelty wore off.

If I'm in a hurry, and I don't have time to heat it, I've found that mixing most everything together and scarfing it down with out looking is the easiest way to do it.

Cold MRE "clam chowder" for breakfast makes me sad.

Quoted:
Have you ever noticed that all MRE's have the same under smell/taste?  I don't know if it's because of all the preservatives, but I can't stand the smell of MRE's after I've been eating them for a week straight.

Yes.  It can turn my stomach sometimes.  Another strange thing, is that the rancid gas that comes after extended consumption, everyone's farts smell the same.  Which is great, because you can blame it on others without drawing too much suspicion, if you play your cards right.

MRE=Meals Rejected by Ethiopians
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:50:45 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I swear the old Beef Stew selection was as good as Denti Moore.  

With God as my witness, I got one of the Beef Stews once and when I spooned out a nice big pile, it looked like a Rats tail with the ass still attached, I was inside the M-577 FDC yelling out Fire Missions to the guns and I threw the freaking thing across the back of the ramp. The whole FDC, and all 3 gun crews saw it and they all agree that it was Rat.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:50:53 PM EDT
[#28]
When it comes to a #2 after consuming an MRE or 6, here is some advice. Save the spoon when you have finished the meal, you're gonna need it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:58:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Isn't it a little disturbing that everything in the MRE is easily cut with that plastic spoon?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:03:26 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would you include the old Beef Stew in that assessment?  I fully understand where you're coming from, but I swear the old Beef Stew selection was as good as Denti Moore.  

I included it as an example.  The beef stew was good and I was happy when I didn't get stuck with something less than desirable (i.e, woodchicken w/ rice or Pork Pattie)  you could soak that fucking pork pattie for 12 hours and it wouldn't be remotely close to the texture of anything I've ever eaten.  Tried it once (I think in garrison) and never touched it again unless I was rat fucking the bag for the rest of the contents (apple sauce/crackers/cheese/etc.).  
+1 on the preservatives and calories.  They are packed with both of them.  And they serve a dual purpose:  the calories kept you going while enduring strenuous activity and the preservatives kept them good for years and also kept the flies away.  I don't the fuckin flies would even eat them.  From what I hear, the selection (multiple menu's) has gotten better although I wouldn't bet on the taste.

eta

Quoted:
Isn't it a little disturbing that everything in the MRE is easily cut with that plastic spoon?

Then you've never fucked with one of the aforementioned Pork Patties, have you?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:09:58 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Damn that is good! Mrs. Tanker can't figure out why I'm sitting here laughing my ass off....  

Oh so true.....
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:12:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Beef stew, chicken breast, and the pasta options were my absolute favorites.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:26:25 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Well, I have had the pork thing.  Keep in mind I've only experienced the newer MREs.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:27:33 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I have had the pork thing.  Keep in mind I've only experienced the newer MREs.

are you thinking about menu #2 - boneless pork chop?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:29:47 PM EDT
[#35]
I WANT PORK PATTY!!!!

I actually liked them. Reminded me of pork rinds.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:30:31 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

think he is talking about the dehydrated pork patty.there was also a beef patty.

don't forget about the hot dogs and spaghetti.
also the bread.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:32:00 PM EDT
[#37]

Memories......

I liked the hash.  Enough tobasco and it was tolerable.

Maple Nut Crap. Remember that?  I couldn't go for a week after one of those.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:35:30 PM EDT
[#38]
You will not, I repeat, will not shit for days after eating only a few consecutive MREs as actual meals.  When you do shit, you're gonna swear that you're giving birth to a cinder block.  You have been warned.

Bon appetit!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:38:23 PM EDT
[#39]
They are for sale on Ebay for 50 a  case is that a rip off?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:42:29 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Memories......

I liked the hash.  Enough tobasco and it was tolerable.

Maple Nut Crap. Remember that?  I couldn't go for a week after one of those.

Oh NO! I heard about the hash! Even the rat they named "Big Red" wouldn't come close to it!

On another note, I figured heaters would be in the MRE that dumb woman who didn't like the "cold army food" obviously didn't/couldn't read the instructions!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:44:28 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I used to get them for $35 a case at gun shows
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

also the bread.

Yup.  Pork rib.  That's decent.

The Elven Whey Bread on the other hand...
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:08:36 PM EDT
[#43]
The old Beef Stew was good, So was the Hash, Also like the Tuna Casserol and Turkey Noodles except for the occasional Bone. Pretty much all the older MRE's were OK esp Meatballs in BBQ. The Omelot was just downright nasty  .

The new ones, The variety is nice and the accesories are better, but they still get old fast. The Burrito/enchilada what ever it was meal is Nasty and Country Captain Chicken is Horrible !!!! 2x
The Jalapeano Cheese spread Rocks !
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:10:26 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I used to get them for $35 a case at gun shows

Not no more - Clinton banned sale of MREs to civies - implements of war act.
thank him later.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:11:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Yea... but look at the sodium content of those packages.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:03:50 PM EDT
[#46]
I was talking to a guy who was in the AF about post-disaster survival and he mentioned that he receintly bought a few cases of MREs.  He shook his head sadly and said, "When I was in the service they still had those friggen C-rations.  These kids today don't know how good they have it."
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:08:31 PM EDT
[#47]
My father gave me an old C-Rat can of cheese and crackers - That was in '88.  I think the can was from the 70's

Ate it, crackers were suprisingly crisp, however I don't think the cheese was supposed to be powdery.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:19:41 PM EDT
[#48]
mcaswell:

Try the black bean & rice burrito MRE.  I split one w/ my Dad back on the 4th of July, just for kicks for supper after a huge BBQ lunch.  It was good, kinda tasted like one of those frozen Patio brand burritos.  Came with a strawberry poptart, fruit cocktail, salsa, cheese spread, crackers, grape koolade powder.  Followed, of course, by a Sekokot-S tablet.  T'would be bad not to poop for a week, ya know.

Hope your part of the state didn't get hit too hard and you and yours are OK.  I'm really going to miss New Orleans, we had a pharmacy convention down there every few years and it was lots of fun to visit.  I always tried to eat at Mother's (roast beef w/ "debris" over french bread...mmmmmm!) and stop by Bernard Passman's black coral place for my wife.  The way the convention center was trashed I imagine it'll be years, and years.........
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:28:23 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
yeah, tear up the pad, put the strips in a bottle of water with about an inch of water in it. makes a loud BOOM, doesnt hurt anyone or anything though.

the longest i lived off of MREs was 7 weeks straight.  i think i went #2 6 times in that period. if you find yourself eating MREs long term i have 2 tips.

I think you should author a Wikipedia entry for "shit window".
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:28:55 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
MREs are yummy... They will either A.) make you shit a lot...or B.) Stop you the fuck up to the point where you are begging to take a shit.... I mean like; "Honey, will you stick your finger up my ass and wiggle it around a bit."

Carry on, glad you are okay.

Who says you have to be constipated to make that request?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top