Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2005 6:30:04 PM EDT
Someone mentioned this to me the other day and I wanted to drop the idea out there.  If a building site is below the floodplane the house must be elevated, over 20' in some places around here. Should the local zoning and building regulations in NOLA be amended to make this a requirment ? We also were wondering about how they would rebuild the lower income part of town. Every town has one but with a clean canvas like New Orleans has it creates a unique situation, do they rebuild the projects/bad neighborhoods and give the houses away as government housing or will it be only people rebuilding who are financially able to ? Anybody have a guess ?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:35:34 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Anybody have a guess ?

3 pages- IBTL

I dont think stilts will help stop what a CAT 3+ decides to destroy. It will help the flooding that will follow the levys when they will break though.

And what about the downtown building????

My .02- Nothing built. Like anyone else, everywhere else, you cant build in a flood plain. This is a superplain. And its sinking.

If the French Quarter ( I feel dirty for even typing their name) survived, you can leave it open, if not, New Orleans should be reserved for a museum. Or moved inland to stable ground. To keep building there is stupid.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:38:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Anybody have a guess ?

3 pages- IBTL

I dont think stilts will help stop what a CAT 3+ decides to destroy. It will help the flooding that will follow the levys when they will break though.

And what about the downtown building????

My .02- Nothing built. Like anyone else, everywhere else, you cant build in a flood plain. This is a superplain. And its sinking.

If the French Quarter ( I feel dirty for even typing their name) survived, you can leave it open, if not, New Orleans should be reserved for a museum. Or moved inland to stable ground. To keep building there is stupid.

Your plan makes far too much sense. Therefore, it will never be adopted.

You heard it here first.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top