Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2005 4:57:56 PM EDT
I'm listening to NRA News and Cam Edwards. He is interviewing a guy who brandished a 44 caliber blackpowder revolver for self defense in New Jersey.

http://www.nranews.com/nra.html
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:37:12 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's all you got.  Then again a .44 ball in front of a stout load of black powder will definitely ruin your day.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:38:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Definitely.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:38:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Definitely.

+1
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:40:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Better than a pointy stick
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:41:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Many a man went to meet his ancestors in front of a blackpowder pistol.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:42:57 PM EDT
[#6]
can't be that idfferent than the Schofield I use for defence, except mine loads faster.....
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:44:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If it's all you got.  Then again a .44 ball in front of a stout load of black powder will definitely ruin your day.

+44
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:44:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I love my Walker.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:46:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
can't be that idfferent than the Schofield I use for defence, except mine loads faster.....

So blackpowder revolvers are not registered like other handguns?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:51:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In most states you can buy them on the internet and interstate to your house.

I believe the Colt Dragoon was the most powerful handgun made until the 1930s.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:53:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I was referring to our Canadian friend.

I know in the US they are not firearms.

I guess it's the same in Canada.

CRC
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:53:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:56:48 PM EDT
[#13]
He was fishing along the Delware River and he mentioned he could only carry the gun because it was blackpowder.

CRC
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I bet an unregistered, loaded, blackpowder pistol is illegal in Jersey.

And you might be right... NJ does regulate muzzle loaders sales to some extent I don’t remember how much.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:28:23 PM EDT
[#15]
A couple of years ago I took my folks up to the desert to practice with their defensive pistols. The area is very popular with shooters on the weekends ( we went on a monday) a old fella in a  old pick up stopped by to see if we saved our brass, we talked for a bit and he told us he came up and collected brass for a friend in exchange for free reloads. Point of story. His defense revolver was a .36 cal  cap and ball navy revolver. Not state of the art tatical but I feel sorry (not) for the low life that trys to rob that old dude.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:35:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Wild Bill Hickock did pretty well with a .36 Navy.  Well up to a point.  Wonder how he would have done had he lived to upgrade?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:52:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In most states you can buy them on the internet and interstate to your house.

I believe the Colt Dragoon was the most powerful handgun made until the 1930s.

Yep, Walker Colt was not beat until the .357 Magnum was developed.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:23:56 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Wild Bill Hickock did pretty well with a .36 Navy.  Well up to a point.  Wonder how he would have done had he lived to upgrade?

He was killed in 1876, well after the introduction of the top break S&W cartridge revolvers & the Colt SAA.  He could have upgraded if he'd wanted to.  IIRC the Colt SAA has the same grip shape as the Navy so it'd be the logical choice to transition to.  But the balance/handling isn't the same.  A cartridge conversion Navy would have made more sense.  Still weak in comparison to the .45LC or .44-40 SAA but quicker to reload than the cap & ball Navy.......though Hickock always carried two & hit what he was aiming at.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:30:33 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I love my Walker.

nullbits.foxxz.net/albums/album03/Walker_Colt.sized.jpg

MAJOR Woody.  A Walker is more than a .357 Magnum in power.  First of all, the ball is .440".  But the velocity and bullet weight is about the same.  

Either way, it is quite effective, even on deer.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:35:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Yup, a .44 BP revolver is just as effective today as it was in the mid 1800's.

I could definately see using my .44 Colt 1860 if that's all I had.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:20:44 AM EDT
[#21]
I did it a long time ago when my 1860 Army was all I had.

I was working for my father doing some work at a trailer park he owned and living in a house on the property. One night a man he had evicted that day nocked on the door and when I opened it he was holding a gun. I slammed the door real quick and locked it the armed myself with the only gun I had in the house, the 1860 Army. Then i called the cops.

I always thought it would be funny if I had needed to shoot the POS, the news story would have been funny.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:38:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Local 60+ year old man was told by a friend to come by her house at a certian time. He knocked on the door and no one answered so he started to leave. Two young thugs tackled him and tied to get his wallet.

The man pulled a pocket knife and started sticking away. The thugs ran off and the man went to the police. Two officers go to the house and pound on the door until the woman finally answers. Inside the cops find the two thugs. One thug was rushed to the ER with a collasped lung. Use what you have.

My thought is when a person is staring down the barrel of a firearm, most of them will not start debating your choice of weapon, manufacturer or caliber. Even the lowly .22 rimfire bullet makes one hell of a sound when it is headed your direction.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:05:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Hey, for hundreds of years, black powder firearms were state of the art lethal weapons.  They'll kill you just as dead as anything else, the downside is primarily one of firepower.

We have a CucKoo Clock State Representative up here in PA who wants to pass legislation requiring that BP firearms be treated the same as all other firearms; FFL authorized transfers, no through the mail purchases, etc.  Apparently, 27 people have been shot dead with these weapons over the past ten years (or something like that).
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:11:24 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I bet an unregistered, loaded, blackpowder pistol is illegal in Jersey.

And you might be right... NJ does regulate muzzle loaders sales to some extent I don’t remember how much.

NJ treats anything that sends a projectile as a firearm adn requires a firearms owner ID card, NICS check (NJ State Police handle ours) and if a handgun, a pistol purchase permit.

This also applies to BB Guns. Must be 21 with FID and pistol purchase permit, and pay for NICS to buy a $14.95 marksman pellet pistol.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:12:30 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

"Tombstone"

Here lies Less, Killed by 4 slugs from a .44, no Less no More".
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:13:33 AM EDT
[#26]
better than a cell phone or rape whistle
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:22:47 AM EDT
[#27]
FYI, because the lead balls used in black powder revolvers are "pressed" into the chamber when loaded, no 2 rounds will bear the same markings when exiting the barrel of the pistol.

From a purely forensic point of view, black powder firearms lack the ballistic fingerprint of modern cartridge firearms, in that it's quite tough to prove a particular lead ball came from a particular specific handgun.

Food for thought.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:31:43 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I love my Walker.

nullbits.foxxz.net/albums/album03/Walker_Colt.sized.jpg

MAJOR Woody.  A Walker is more than a .357 Magnum in power.  First of all, the ball is .440".  But the velocity and bullet weight is about the same.  

Either way, it is quite effective, even on deer.

And I am using it to hunt deer this year.  That shot group is 12 shots from 25 yards.  Minute of deer for sure.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:49:55 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Tombstone"

Here lies Less, Killed by 4 slugs from a .44, no Less no More".

"Here lies Lester Moore.

Four slugs from a .44,

No less, no Moore."
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:07:31 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Better than a pointy stick

or shaking an angry fist, scowled look or sharp words.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:17:17 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not in NJ, they are not

Thats why he had it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top