Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2005 4:53:33 PM EDT
About a month ago, I was getting ready for bed (11:45 p.m.), when I noticed a vehicle driving down my long driveway with its lights off.  I live in the country and have a driveway separate from nearby neighbors.  For a few minutes, I just looked out of the window, thinking the driver must be lost.  Soon after I saw the vehicle backing up in my driveway, again with the lights off.  I now grabbed my 10 mm Glock from the nightstand.  I then noticed the vehicle driving foward again in my driveway and stopping again.  I now put a round in the chamber and instructed my wife to call the sheriff.  While she was on the phone with authorities, the vehicle drove the length of my driveway to the main road and took off.  Realize the vehicle was in my driveway for a full five minutes by the time we called the sheriff.

What would you have done?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:55:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Had someone cover me , and hit him with a spotlight saying WTF stop.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:55:51 PM EDT
[#2]
exactly as you had done. filed a report with the local dept. and only confront if threatend.

could have been someone dui and lost.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:56:56 PM EDT
[#3]
got out the 10 million candlelight flashlight and light them up to get a description of the vehicle and called the sheriff.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd do what you did except the call the sheriff part.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:03:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Well folks, there's more to the story.  As my wife was on the phone with the sheriff, I jumped in my pickup (with 10 mm glock and .357 Colt) and followed the vehicle.  I followed the driver to another country home where they turned off their headlights.  As I was parked in the road in front of the house, the sheriff's office called me on the cell phone and told me to go home, which I did.

I realized I made a couple of mistakes (1) following someone at night with a gun in the vehicle was not smart and (2) leaving my family alone without a handgun was stupid (because the driver or associate could have come back to the house to do whatever they wanted).

I plan to buy a spotlight.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:06:47 PM EDT
[#6]
A motion light on your driveway would be a good addition too.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
A motion light on your driveway would be a good addition too.

A motion light and a motion camera at the end of your driveway is a good idea.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:19:13 PM EDT
[#8]
A Bar Gate is cheap and inexpensive.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:23:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:26:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Those guys were crooks, that's for sure.

Nobody turns their lights off at night unless they're up to something.

Put one in the chamber, stay in the house, call the cops.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I thought about going out of the house and using my trees for cover, but didn't.  I told my wife that no one, NO ONE, will ever get in the house while I am home.  That's one of the reasons I own guns.  The other reasons are for hunting and target shooting.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:28:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Now see, this is why I need a grenade launcher.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:30:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Those guys were crooks, that's for sure.

Nobody turns their lights off at night unless they're up to something.

Put one in the chamber, stay in the house, call the cops.

I tend to agree.  No reason for having the lights off...they were up to no good, and I wouldn't be surprised if they made another visit sometime soon.  Be watchful and carefull.

HH
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:32:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:32:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Could have been something as innocent as kids looking for a place to grope each other, or have a couple beers.   Could have been bad guys too.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:33:34 PM EDT
[#16]
That is what a laser pointer is for around here.

Target one with a laser pointer and watch'em run.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:33:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Called in for an air strike or heavy artillery fire mission.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#18]
A friend of mine who also lives in the country said the cops told him that punks case out country homes and look to steal four-wheelers and snowmobiles on trailers.  I have neither, but my teardrop trailer was parked outside that night.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:36:18 PM EDT
[#19]
About the only thing I would have done different is to grab a long gun instead of the pistol.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:41:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Howdy Aimless!  My brother (23 years in the Air Force) said he would have confronted the invaders and scared the shit out of them.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:02:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:07:43 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
got out the 10 million candlelight flashlight and light them up to get a description of the vehicle and called the sheriff.

+1

Got one of these 10 MCP Thor's to light up whatever might be running in the woods behind my house.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:10:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Name and address are on the mailbox.  My friend said it could have been some young guy getting a quickie blow job from his lady friend.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Is your address posted at the end of your driveway? Could be someone lost looking for an address.

I don't think so, if you are just lost you aren't sneaking around in the dark.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:20:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Name and address are on the mailbox.  My friend said it could have been some young guy getting a quickie blow job from his lady friend.

Did the windows fog up?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:48:03 PM EDT
[#28]
I wouldn't have followed and I sure would have lit them up.  I'ld let all the neighbors know.  They were casing.  Restate that let the known trusted neighbors know.  

My parents had a mountain place and the door locks were to keep the doors shut in the wind storms.    Didn't keep anything of value in it.  Most valuable item was a framed out of print USFS map that showed the County Ordinance shooting -No Shooting boundaries and locations of old mines.  Most of the part-timer neighbors did likewise.  The full-timers for the most part kept an eye out, but one of them was busted for drugs and a whole bunch of receiving stolen property charges.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:07:05 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
When I had a trespasser, I went out and checked the property without a light, and kept my cover and concealment.

When I thought that they were still lurking, I went back out with a DR-200, 3 loaded mags, a backup handgun and a 2 Mill CP spotlight and illuminated the woods.  After I shined the light, I dumped all 90 rounds in to the woods.

No trespassers since then.

TRG

Next time can you add in a camcorder to your list.  I know it would probably be too dark to see much of anything but still it would be awesome.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:09:03 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Nah...the locals are going to know the good hiding places in the area to go do that type of stuff.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:21:55 PM EDT
[#31]
That would give me great cause for concern.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:04:49 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
 My friend said it could have been some young guy getting a quickie blow job from his lady friend.

run people out of my folks back pasture once  with the windows fogged up
hey i wasn't getting any that night so neither was he dammit
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top