Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/6/2005 4:47:15 PM EDT
Even if they are trying to stay and protect their own private property.  Order is to police (and to military - which I don't understand, since he is not in the chain of command)

Look for confrontations to occur.  Remember all those pictures of folks, well-armed, who decided to stay.  I wonder if they will lay down their arms?

breaking on CNN
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:48:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I ask this in all seriousness...what is the legal basis for doing this?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:48:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Is there anything that guy can't fuck up?

Is he going to eat a baby on national TV next?  

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:56:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Its now on CNN's front page.

New Orleans mayor issues order authorizing the forced removal of people refusing to leave the city. More soon.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:56:47 PM EDT
[#4]
listenin to rush today, had the mayor talking about how he, the govna and bush were talkin about bringin in feds. so bush says to mayor, excuse me while i talk privately to govna.. they go off come back and bush sorta shrugs and says 'she ask for a nother 24 hours'. mayor sorta says 'whats up wid dat' or something similar, like how the govna basically fuked up bigtime and bush and him were standin there say 'well fuck'.

so.. i have mixed feelings about this guy. he screwed up big time. but the govna screwed up REAL BIG TIME. and bush and the mayor are gonna throw her azz to the lions. if you can find the audio of this thing what im tellin here dont do it justice. he smells blood, he might just realize that it aint gonna be bush in the long run thats gonna take the fall and has chosen sides with a slight glimmer of inteligence...

will be very interesting to see if this story gains traction.. his audio was what you gotta hear..
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:57:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Get-real time is on the clock now.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:59:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I predict multiple shoot-outs.  Those folks who stayed seemed pretty determined to stay, and were very well armed, with barracades, etc.  It will get ugly.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:01:55 PM EDT
[#7]
It might work in Orleans parish but neighboring  Jefferson parish has electricity, water, and working sewerage. The police said they aint arresting 250,000 people if they choose to stay.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:03:06 PM EDT
[#8]
They should be removed.

New Orleans is now toxic.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:04:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Q1) Remove people who are otherwise unwilling to leave in order to protect them from ...themselves (or all of the OBVIOUS other things)

Q2) Let them stay there.. in the filth.. possibly die.. and face the rath of the idiots who will then blame the government for not doing "enough"

Answer 1) Damned if you do.
Answer 2) Damned if you dont.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:05:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Is he going to eat a baby on national TV next?  hr

Not without loads of tobasco...gots to hab dat to-basco!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:06:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
They should be removed.

Umm, there is dry ground there.  Are they evacuating the flooded parts or all of it?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:07:46 PM EDT
[#13]
It should be all of it.

They are getting in the way of the emergency officials.

Leave the frigging city and let the cleanup begin!

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:08:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
listenin to rush today, had the mayor talking about how he, the govna and bush were talkin about bringin in feds. so bush says to mayor, excuse me while i talk privately to govna.. they go off come back and bush sorta shrugs and says 'she ask for a nother 24 hours'. mayor sorta says 'whats up wid dat' or something similar, like how the govna basically fuked up bigtime and bush and him were standin there say 'well fuck'.

so.. i have mixed feelings about this guy. he screwed up big time. but the govna screwed up REAL BIG TIME. and bush and the mayor are gonna throw her azz to the lions. if you can find the audio of this thing what im tellin here dont do it justice. he smells blood, he might just realize that it aint gonna be bush in the long run thats gonna take the fall and has chosen sides with a slight glimmer of inteligence...

will be very interesting to see if this story gains traction.. his audio was what you gotta hear..

I saw that "walking interview" yesterday. The Mayor has picked his horse, and it's not the Governor.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:08:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:08:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They should be removed.

Umm, there is dry ground there.  Are they evacuating the flooded parts or all of it?

I believe - All of it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:09:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wonder the same thing.

TRG

Emergency Declaration/Martial Law....they can do whatever they want.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#18]
People were being forcibly removed yesterday.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:10:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Leave these people alone...when they're ready to leave because of the shortage of water or food, they will leave.  
 At least these people who defending their home are not bitching about anyone else....well, except potential looters.

Ok.  We'll let them stay.. and dedicate time, people, and money to the task of getting food and water to them and let the other stuff fall to the wayside... because.. after all.. they probably missunderstood the whole MANDATORY EVACUATION thing.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:12:10 PM EDT
[#20]
There is nothing left to defend.

The water is toxic.

Get out.

CRC
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:13:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Tag for video of the shoot out...  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:13:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

edition.cnn.com/video/player/player.html?url=/video/us/2005/09/05/obrien.nagin.walk.talk.cnn
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:13:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Remember NOLA is where anti-gun legislation for LA originates, they want to sue the gun manufactures out of business.

Stay tuned to see what happens next, this is going to be interesting.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:16:53 PM EDT
[#25]
According to CNN site, there are THOUSANDS refusing to leave.  This will be messy.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:17:07 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wonder the same thing.

TRG

Well...doesn't that just give you the warm and fuzzies.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:17:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Screw that, let them stay. If they can survive, good on them.

Bob

Quoted:
They should be removed.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:19:05 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Bob

Quoted:
They should be removed.

+1 Leave 'em alone.

BUT, you get NO water or food or medicine either.

Can't have it both ways.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:19:06 PM EDT
[#29]
They need to clean out the flooded areas. Shouldn't be any children in the town. If they have a dry home or business leave them the hell alone.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:19:10 PM EDT
[#30]
How many what if SHTF scenarios talked about during the past few years are we seeing played out in real life here?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wonder the same thing.

TRG

The Mayor is in charge under Martial Law?

TRG

Nope, but he can relay the message.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:19:52 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wonder the same thing.

TRG

Well...doesn't that just give you the warm and fuzzies.

I answered my own question.  I'll share with the class.

§724.  Powers of the governor

A.  The governor is responsible for meeting the dangers to the state and people presented by emergencies or disasters, and in order to effectuate the provisions of this Chapter, the governor may issue executive orders, proclamations, and regulations and amend or rescind them.  Executive orders, proclamations, and regulations so issued shall have the force and effect of law.

B.(1)  A disaster or emergency, or both, shall be declared by executive order or proclamation of the governor if he finds a disaster or emergency has occurred or the threat thereof is imminent.  The state of disaster or emergency shall continue until the governor finds that the threat of danger has passed or the disaster or emergency has been dealt with to the extent that the emergency conditions no longer exist and terminates the state of disaster or emergency by executive order or proclamation, but no state of disaster or emergency may continue for longer than thirty days unless renewed by the governor.

(2)  The legislature, by petition signed by a majority of the surviving members of either house, may terminate a state of disaster or emergency at any time.  This petition terminating the state of emergency or disaster may establish a period during which no other declaration of emergency or disaster may be issued.  Thereupon, the governor shall issue an executive order or proclamation ending the state of disaster or emergency.

(3)  All executive orders or proclamations issued under this Subsection shall indicate the nature of the disaster or emergency, the area or areas which are or may be affected, and the conditions which have brought it about or which make possible the termination of the state of disaster or emergency.  An executive order or proclamation shall be disseminated promptly by means calculated to bring its contents to the attention of the general public and, unless the circumstances attendant upon the disaster or emergency prevent or impede it, promptly filed with the Military Department, state of Louisiana, office of emergency preparedness, and the secretary of state.

C.  The declaration of an emergency or disaster by the governor shall activate the state's emergency response and recovery program under the command of the director of the state office of homeland security and emergency preparedness.

D.  In addition to any other powers conferred upon the governor by law, he may do any or all of the following:

(1)  Suspend the provisions of any regulatory statute prescribing the procedures for conduct of state business, or the orders, rules, or regulations of any state agency, if strict compliance with the provisions of any statute, order, rule, or regulation would in any way prevent, hinder, or delay necessary action in coping with the emergency.

(2)  Utilize all available resources of the state government and of each political subdivision of the state as reasonably necessary to cope with the disaster or emergency.

(3)  Transfer the direction, personnel, or functions of state departments and agencies or units thereof for the purpose of performing or facilitating emergency services.

(4)  Subject to any applicable requirements for compensation, commandeer or utilize any private property if he finds this necessary to cope with the disaster or emergency.

(5)  Direct and compel the evacuation of all or part of the population from any stricken or threatened area within the state if he deems this action necessary for the preservation of life or other disaster mitigation, response, or recovery.

(6)  Prescribe routes, modes of transportation, and destination in connection with evacuation.

(7)  Control ingress and egress to and from a disaster area, the movement of persons within the area, and the occupancy of premises therein.

(8)  Suspend or limit the sale, dispensing, or transportation of alcoholic beverages, firearms, explosives, and combustibles.

(9)  Make provision for the availability and use of temporary emergency housing.

E.  In the event of an emergency declared by the governor pursuant to this Chapter, any person or representative of any firm, partnership, or corporation violating any order, rule, or regulation promulgated pursuant to this Chapter, shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars or confined in the parish jail for not more than six months, or both.  No executive order, proclamation, or regulation shall create or define a crime or fix penalties.

F.  No organization for homeland security and emergency preparedness established under this Chapter shall be employed directly or indirectly for political purposes.

G.  Notwithstanding the provisions of this Section, except in an imminent life threatening situation nothing herein shall restrict any uniformed employee of a licensed private security company, acting within the scope of employment, from entering and remaining in an area where an emergency has been declared.  The provisions of this Subsection shall apply if the licensed private security company submits a list of employees and their assignment to be allowed into the area, to the Louisiana State Board of Private Security Examiners, which shall forward the list to the chief law enforcement office of the parish and, if different, the agency in charge of the scene.

Acts 1993, No. 800, §1, eff. June 22, 1993; Acts 1999, No. 267, §2; Acts 2003, No. 40, §2, eff. May 23, 2003.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#33]
WTF is the point of doing this NOW?

Worst is over. Those who are there are not underwater.
Many want to protect their property after it was nearly destroyed, many will not desert their pets, some both or other. I'd stay also if I could. Place is aobut as contaminated now as it is going to get.
Have to wonder the motivation.

Leave 'em the Hell alone, this is America. At least it used to be. Not too sure anymore.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:20:39 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bob

Quoted:
They should be removed.

+1 Leave 'em alone.

Can't have it both ways.

I agree.

Bob
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:21:08 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Is he going to eat a baby on national TV next?  

LMMFAO

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:22:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Okay if they are TOTALLY on their own.

I but fear THAT WILL NOT HAPPEN.

CRC
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:26:06 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bob

Quoted:
They should be removed.

+1 Leave 'em alone.

Can't have it both ways.

I saw some of the ones who would not leave. They had signs posted wanting water. But refused to leave.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Remember NOLA is where anti-gun legislation for LA originates, they want to sue the gun manufactures out of business.

Not so fast bucko.

The Louisana Territory, under France, is where the first gun laws in North America come from. Le Code Noir (The Black Codes) period.

ARTICLE XII forbids slaves to carry offensive Weapons or heavy sticks, under penalty of the whip and confiscation of the weapons in favor of the person seizing them. Slaves that are sent hunting by their masters, and carry notes or known marks, are excepted.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:30:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:31:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Maybe this is where he is coming up with the 10,000 dead figure.  He was just planning ahead.  If they can survive on their own leave them alone.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:32:14 PM EDT
[#41]
They need to be kicked out.  Get the residents out so they can find the corpses, drain the city, and start bulldozing the place.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:56:10 PM EDT
[#42]
I predict this...

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:58:44 PM EDT
[#43]
If I had intact property, I sure as hell would not leave. Even if I had to get ARFCOMMERs to air-drop water and MREs, no way I would leave just so looters could have their way and torch my entire neighborhood as they have already done. A huge fire in the garden district where some mansions were today. If my house was underwater, OK. But it was high and dry, give me a reverse osmosis hand crank water purifier unit, a camp stove and a few cases of MREs and I'd be good.  The family would go stay with relatives in another state.

They cannot knock on every door of every house.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:05:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Assuming that I wasn't allowed to bring this with me to a shelter, I wouldn't leave either.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:05:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Once the water level is down and the bodies removed, they will probably have to level all of the water soaked houses.  I'm betting is is best to remove the people now, otherwise they might put up a stronger resitance if they see bulldozers coming.  Maybe do what that girl did in Israel a few years ago.  

There is no reason to stay in the houses filled with water.  Even though people say they agree to no further help, you know they will beg for it eventually.  What then?  All of the screaming liberals will want to go help them out.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:09:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:29:46 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Remember, 20% of the city is NOT under water.  So most of these people's property are probably still intact.  If they decide to stay....meaning they're preprared with food and water, guns and ammo () at least for several weeks, and they're on their own.  When they run out of food and water, they'll decide their next course of action.
 If their house is damaged, I agree, they have to evacuate so clean-up effort won't be slowing down by them.

People in a home that is completely dry, never was flooded at all, where the owners show proof they have enough supplies to survive with no power, water, medical supplies, and food for at least 3 months, should be allowed to stay.  I bet that limits it to around 2 people city wide.  Most people that would plan that well, would also have insurance and the foresight to LEAVE before the cat 4/5 hurricane arrived.  Otherwise, leaving them there just becomes another disaster where they have to spend even more money later to go back in and rescue/feed/care for them, and take their political hit at that time, instead of now when it would just blend in with the rest of the chaos.

There was footage one the news of some of the rescuers, on boats, trying to reason with armed people on homes, where only the second story was above water.  They refused to leave, even when confronted with the statements that it might be over a month before its dry and 3 months before power and water are restored.

Some people are not in a rational state of mind after going through this disaster.  There is no way those people had months of water and food accessable on their second floor.  Are they expecting regular supply drops?  And their homes are no longer usable, and will need to be demolished after a week under water, and it will probably be a few more weeks before all of the water is removed anyway.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:35:24 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bob

Quoted:
They should be removed.

+1 Leave 'em alone.

Can't have it both ways.

The Mayor is denying rumors that he was threatening to starve them out.  I head his express denial.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:37:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Damn, they paid attention during Governmental Goat-rodeo School.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:41:45 PM EDT
[#50]
I hope not, but I think this is going to be bad.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top