Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2005 4:25:04 PM EDT
I just heard on the news that 1000 are being bussed from the Astrodome to Ohio, to be split among Cincinnati, Columbus, and Cleveland.  In a seperate report, I heard the owner of several apartment complexes, including the one I live in, saying that he would be letting them live in vacant apartments for up to a year rent-free.  So I may be getting new neighbors soon.  How about you?

ETA:  Changed "Refugees" to "Evacuees" in the title per PC complaint by rainman
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:29:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope none welcome in my neighborhood. Some being sent to a school a few miles away , but allot of parents are trying to get them out I think its working.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:31:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Over 500 in the Phoenix Veterans Coliseum....

The neihborhood won't notice the SLIME... er  refugees.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:34:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Over 500 in the Phoenix Veterans Coliseum....

The neihborhood won't notice the SLIME... er  refugees.

They are showing up at the coluseum just in time for the gunshow.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:35:05 PM EDT
[#4]
They are not refugees....they are evacuees.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:37:55 PM EDT
[#5]
My daughter came home from school today and said that a group were going through the procedures to attend her school in North Dallas area.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:39:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I live about two hours from New Orleans. We have anywhere from 40-75K here. The private school that my daughter goes to just doubled the enrollment.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#7]
They are comming here too.  Don't know how many but they will be staying in a unused civic center.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:41:23 PM EDT
[#8]
The girl next door to us has her family from someplace close to NO staying with her for about a month. Really nice folks.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:44:59 PM EDT
[#9]
they are here in my back yard...already sleeping in our basketball arena..
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:47:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Supposed to get 30 families in an old school building near my house.  About 100yds away.  Easy headshot range if they get sassy.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:52:13 PM EDT
[#11]
There is a neighbor, about 10 houses down, that has 10 new family
members living with them.  We made an open offer for any supplies,
TV, whatever they need.

A lady my wife knows from her church now has 82 folks living in her house.  
I don't know how many there were before living there.  She said she opened
her house to her extended family, they came, then some of their freinds
and neighbors came.

I can't imagine 82 in one house.  But, nobody ever accused me of being the
most compassionate, accomodating, and patient guy they know.

DanM
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:55:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep...

abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=state&id=3420042

Quote from Arnold...

" "When you look at what has just happened, most of the people there were not ready," the governor said.

"Everybody is pointing the finger at government," he said. "But when you ask the people 'What did you do? Did you have in fact a water supply for three days? Did you have a food supply?"'

Schwarzenegger said California families need to have supplies of food, water, cell phone, batteries and flashlights as well as a disaster plan in place so everyone will know what to do if disaster strikes."

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:59:19 PM EDT
[#13]
We were suppose to get 150 yesterday...only 5 would come. They must not like the cold.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:00:01 PM EDT
[#14]
2500 coming to Otis AFB/Camp Edwards on Cape Cod... should be interesting...
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:00:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Does doubling the population of your 400,000 person city count?

If yes, then I do.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:01:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm in downtown Dallas, so I got an assload.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:03:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
They are not refugees....they are evacuees.

OK, they are not seekers of refuge.  Nature took a shit and this is what she evacuated.
matthew
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:05:09 PM EDT
[#18]
We had plenty staying in hotels over here....but when the big college game-day came around yesterday, they were all kicked out because people had made reservations in advance.

Glad to see that everyone has their priorities straight.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:10:34 PM EDT
[#19]
we have a white family here in sanford from Slidell and Pearl River, La

I know the owners of the restaurant.they our some very nice and genorous people.

sanfordherald.com/articles/2005/09/06/news/news01.txt

Family finds refuge in Sanford
By KATHERINE MCDONALD

SANFORD - Four generations of the Stallings/Baker family of Slidell and Pearl River, La., have arrived in Lee County - and are very grateful to be here.Hurricane Katrina drove them from their homes near Lake Pontchartrain. They left Aug. 28 after voluntary evacuation orders were issued.

Lee County is a wonderful, safe place to be, but their hearts are back in Slidell, a town of about 30,000 that sits on the eastern edge of the lake. Across the lake to the southwest is the city of New Orleans, the largest city devastated by the hurricane when it swept ashore the morning of Aug. 29. Smaller towns like Slidell and Pearl River also felt the storm's wrath.

The family evacuated to Florida, taking only a few clothes and necessities with them. They expected to return home in a few days. For those from Slidell, that few days is now expected to stretch into at least four to six weeks.

Slidell is about 6 feet above sea level, but the area where most of the Stallings and Bakers live is below sea level, with a levee keeping the water out. That was no protection against the storm surge powered by Katrina.

Since their arrival in Lee County, the family has been able to reach family and friends who remained on the higher elevations in Slidell, but the word they have received is, "Don't come back now."

"The storm surge hit the (low-lying) area of Slidell where we live, said Dylan Baker. "The water got up to the rooftops. We've been told that there's still about 4 feet of mud on the roads and in the houses in our neighborhood."

The storm surge knocked down 80 to 90 percent of the power lines in their area; power is not expected to be fully restored for six to eight months.

"Slidell was a beautiful little town, like Sanford, only not as big," Joan Stallings said sadly. "We had nice people, highest-rated schools. I lived 35 years in my house, a cute little brick house."

Joan; two of her adult children, Linda Baker and Arthur Stallings; five of her grandchildren, Dylan, Jennifer, Sarah and Caleb Baker and Brent Stallings; two great-grandchildren, Elisha, who turns 5 on Wednesday, and Justin Baker, 3 months; Dylan Baker's fiancee, Vickie Langman; Arthur Stallings' fiancee, Tannia Hargrave; and Brent Stallings' girlfriend, Emily Addington, arrived in Lee County on Sunday, leaving the devastation behind for a while.

They found shelter and welcome locally, thanks to the generosity of Don and Michelle Granter. The Granters have two single-wide mobile homes on their Lee County farm. They decided, instead of renting them, to offer them to victims of Hurricane Katrina.

Don Granter, owner of the Brass Kettle Restaurant in Sanford, posted the housing offer on a Hurricane Katrina housing web site, www.hurricanehousing.com, on Friday. On Saturday morning, Mary Kleiman of Hope Mills e-mailed him that her mother, Joan Stallings, and other relatives had fled Slidell and needed a place to live for a while until some normalcy returned to their area.

The Granters not only offered the mobile homes but also contacted several area churches. The donations began to pour in. The Stallings/Baker family arrived Sunday evening to a welcome with furnished homes, soft beds, good used clothes and food. As of Monday, the family felt it had received enough and to spare.

"It's amazing that there's still people out there that care," said Hargrave. "People have opened their hearts and homes and everything."

Joan Stallings, Arthur Stallings and Langman plan to go back in a few days to assess the situation and talk to their insurance agent. They'll have to use a boat to look at their homes. The others plan to stay in Lee County until they know more accurately what has happened.

Hargrave owns a restaurant in Madisonville, La., which the Federal Emergency Management Agency is using to shelter and feed people. She and Arthur Stallings plan to stay there for a while. It is one of the few places in the area with electricity.

Kleiman was in Louisiana visiting her daughter, Mary Ann Tucker, who lives in Covington, and the rest of her family when Hurricane Katrina came on the scene. While she was there, the word came for people to evacuate voluntarily. Kleiman and Tucker headed back to Covington with Joan Stallings, Arthur Stallings and Hargrave, then to North Carolina.

Linda Baker, her children, grandchildren and Langman left Slidell for northern Florida. In Lake City, they met up with Brent Stallings and Addington, who had just been through Hurricane Katrina's sweep across southern Florida.

While in Florida, Kleiman contacted them with the good news that there were mobile homes, free of cost, waiting for them in Lee County.

The worst part of the experience, all agreed, was losing contact with each other at times and with their remaining extended family back in Slidell. Phone lines and cell phone relay towers were down or damaged. Text messaging was possible, but the voice links were not functioning. It took Langman four days to find her mother by phone.

"You don't really know how much communication means until you can't - just to hear their voices," Hargrave said. "Not being able to hear their voices: That was worse than losing everything. We know we'll be okay because we have each other."

Dylan Baker was silent for a moment, thinking of the devastation, of what might or might not be there when they return.

"It makes you not want to go back," he said, then added quietly, "I've been on the bayou my whole life; I'll be back."

His grandmother Joan Stallings nodded her head.

"No matter what, we still have to have closure," she said.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:14:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Several thousand if not more here. I spent the better part of the day in the local shelter. Fun stuff
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:18:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

So, I guess they sent all the gay refugees to Dallas.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:20:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I had heard today that 500 are going to be kept at Camp Dawson,WV,about 30 miles east of Morgantown.Have been there many times while in the NG,huge place with a nice golf course
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:18:49 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, I guess they sent all the gay refugees to Dallas.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:21:10 PM EDT
[#24]
The people here would gladly take NO as it is now over what they have now and be thankfull for it.

And manage to get every mechanical device running again with no flow of spare parts.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:23:10 PM EDT
[#25]
400 coming to Cleveland.

They won't stay long after they get their first taste of winter in November.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
400 coming to Cleveland.

They won't stay long after they get their first taste of winter in November.

Fuckin'A. They will be "evacuees" all over again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top