Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2005 10:36:26 AM EDT
Saw this and hadn't heard it before:

Actor John Travolta, center, an experienced pilot, flew relief supplies into Baton Rouge, La., on Monday and toured storm damaged in New Orleans.

He didn't have a press crew with him either.  Not sure why he went to see the storm damage though.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:38:55 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Saw this and hadn't heard it before:

Actor John Travolta, center, an experienced pilot, flew relief supplies into Baton Rouge, La., on Monday and toured storm damaged in New Orleans.

He didn't have a press crew with him either.  Not sure why he went to see the storm damage though.

How could he have forgotten his press crew?

Don't tell me he was genuinely interested in (God forbid) helping?!?!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:41:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I saw a report where a San Diego businessman chartered a 737 and had 92 people flown out.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:52:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep.  Too cool, he and his wife flew his plane in loaded with supplies.  Didn't cause a fuss.  Visited a shelter in town, met some of the evacuees, and left.  Actually did something useful without tying up resources.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:00:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:02:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, I saw TONS of those yellow shirted "relief workers" over the last few days.

I wonder.  Are they actually looking for converts or just doing a little publicity stunt
to lighten up their image after the whole Katie Holmes mess?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:04:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Who cares?

At least they're not down there mucking up the works like JJ and the rest of the black "leadership".

Kudos to John for using his skill to help in the way he could.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:23:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Scientologist quack or not, he's 100 times the man Sean Penn is.  Goes in quiet, helps, gets out of the way.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Kelly Preston is hot.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:25:41 AM EDT
[#9]
He owns a Boeing 707 and flew in a load of supplies, including vaccine.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#10]
WARNING:  do not intentionally or unintentionally get on a Scientology mailing list.  They will find you and hunt you down like a rabid dog.

That said, they've been out there since the beginning helping out.  Whatever they're ultimate intentions are, their volunteers have been getting their hands dirty and deserve credit for that.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:32:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I might not agree with him on most issues, but at least he did something good for those people with the money he has. I applaud him, i just wish he didn't have to advertise his "Scientologist" agenda.

Question, did the other real Religious groups who participated in relief efforts also advertise? Just curious as i don't want to be bias in blaming the "Scientologists" as the only ones advertising.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:41:14 AM EDT
[#12]
It's not a religion...it's a system of beliefs    So what's religiion then?

That's what they espouse.  My wife lived in DC for a year and said they are everywhere trying to sell you on their "belief system".
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:50:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Yeah, I saw TONS of those yellow shirted "relief workers" over the last few days.

I wonder.  Are they actually looking for converts or just doing a little publicity stunt
to lighten up their image after the whole Katie Holmes mess?

Might not be a bad idea to advertise a little.  At lest LEO and NG won't think you're a looter.

I'd probably wear my Club Gitmo shirt.  Not necessarily to advertise Rush, but because it's the brightest shirt I have.  If I started floating off or being attacked by an alligator or zombie, I'd like to be noticed.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

That's what they espouse.  My wife lived in DC for a year and said they are everywhere trying to sell you on their "belief system".

Religion is generally associated with something supernatural.  A system of beliefs does not have to be.

In my opinion religion is just a nicer word for superstition, which tends to be viewed as more of a pejorative.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:33:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Kelly Preston is hot.

Yes. Yes she is.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:36:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Kelly Preston is hot.

Yes. Yes she is.

Where there any more pics of her bending over and picking up supplies?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:40:09 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Religion is generally associated with something supernatural.  A system of beliefs does not have to be.

In my opinion religion is just a nicer word for superstition, which tends to be viewed as more of a pejorative.

I took a perjorative the other day.  Never again, I couldn't stop shitting.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:42:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I respect him running fairly low key and doing what he can.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:42:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Travolta is a better pilot than the Admiral of the POS Pennafore is a yachtsman.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:46:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Preston=MILF
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:47:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Actually, scientology is a business, and a very successful-money making model.

It's a simple business model, known to charlatans and snake-oil salesman and cults for years.  Scinetology is just much more organized and able to do it on a larger scale.  You find insecure people who are unhappy, and you convince them that you have the ability to make them happy and well-adjusted.  All they have to do is keep PAYING you.  (and of course it is important that you convince them that other people that might help you - like actual professionals like pshychiatrists - are the quacks).

A number of european countries have seen right through them, and have pulled their tax-exempt status and reclassified them as a for-profit business.  

The cynic in my notes that a natural disaster is a PERFECT recruiting ground for finding unhappy and desperate people, but I also give them credit for stepping up and providing help.  Ultimately, that's what's needed right now, and they are helping provide it, regardless of motive.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:48:18 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

cut the guy some slack..

If i had a plane,. i would go look also..
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:50:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

cut the guy some slack..

Yeah, me too
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:01:25 PM EDT
[#24]
I have heard from people who used to work for him when he owned a ranch in Santa Barbara Ca that he a really high quality guy and that he treated his employees very well. Based on their statments I will give the guy credit for helping out.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:10:14 PM EDT
[#25]
just.........wow.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Sean penn was down there too and the boat he was on sank LOL.
They are just looking for publicity.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:19:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Doesn't he fly for Quantas as well?

Good for him!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:23:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Careful, Sheriff! He is trying to assimilate you!

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:24:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Travolta is a classy guy.
No photographers
bring supplies
meet folks and stay out of the way
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:31:35 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

cut the guy some slack..

I wasn't bitching about him going, just wasn't sure if he was doing something else there.  At least he's doing something and not trying to get camera time for it, unlike Penn.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:35:06 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
No photographers
bring supplies

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:36:01 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
No photographers
bring supplies

+1
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:47:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Not tying up resources?  I presume the guy wearing the "sheriff" cap is the sheriff.  Isn't the sheriff a resource?

Why did JT need to tour around?  Why not just drop off the supplies and fly out with ABSOLUTELY no fanfare what so ever?  Or why not drop a million or two in till and let the volunteer agencies take of buying exactly what they needed?  He did manage to get his picture taken at least once with the very deep expression on his face.

Not saying he is scuz like Shawn Penn.  JT did a good thing.  But JT is not quite the class act some are making him out to be either.

"So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men.  I tell you the truth, the have recevied their reward in full.  But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret.  Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Not tying up resources?  I presume the guy wearing the "sheriff" cap is the sheriff.  Isn't the sheriff a resource? The supplies on his plane are a resource. I'm sure it took a whole minute or so for the Sheriff to tell him thank you.

Why did JT need to tour around?  Why not just drop off the supplies and fly out with ABSOLUTELY no fanfare what so ever?  Or why not drop a million or two in till and let the volunteer agencies take of buying exactly what they needed?  He did manage to get his picture taken at least once with the very deep expression on his face. Maybe he looked around because he was interested in knowing if there was anything else he could do.

Not saying he is scuz like Shawn Penn.  JT did a good thing.  But JT is not quite the class act some are making him out to be either. Where are you in this spectrum of class acts? You're criticizing someone who actually helped.

"So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men.  I tell you the truth, the have recevied their reward in full.  But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret.  Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." I don't recall hearing it announced until he actually showed up and the news media started paying attention. He didn't announce it.

It's pretty lame you choose to condemn those who would help. Do something to help or appreciate those those who are doing so. If you can't do either of those, STFU - nobody wants to hear it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:21:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Good for him except the Scientologists prolly told him to do it.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:24:21 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Doesn't he fly for Quantas as well?

Good for him!

The 707 he owns was origionally owned by Quantas.  The offered to repaint it in thei livery for free.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Any day now the SeaOrg will come sailing up with plenty of relief supplies and E-meters so that the residents can achieve a state of "Clear"..........
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:33:35 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Who cares?

At least they're not down there mucking up the works like JJ and the rest of the black "leadership".

Kudos to John for using his skill to help in the way he could.

Exactly what I was thinking!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:42:05 PM EDT
[#39]
I saw/read somewhere he has an ex-Quantas 737, not a 707. No big deal, of course.

Pretty cool he's rated to fly left-seat in the thing.

For a celebrity, I think he's a pretty class act.

As for Mayor Nigin (no sic), that's another story entirely.

40MIKE
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:43:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Don't know the man and it's not my job to judge him. That aside, I'm glad to see another American
step up to the plate. Thank you JT.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm just happy that he didn't get shot down by the Air Force! Those guys are probably on high alert right now. Air Force One just went halfway across the country during a major disaster and the last thing we need is a terrorist attack.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:40:21 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not tying up resources?  I presume the guy wearing the "sheriff" cap is the sheriff.  Isn't the sheriff a resource? The supplies on his plane are a resource. I'm sure it took a whole minute or so for the Sheriff to tell him thank you.

Why did JT need to tour around?  Why not just drop off the supplies and fly out with ABSOLUTELY no fanfare what so ever?  Or why not drop a million or two in till and let the volunteer agencies take of buying exactly what they needed?  He did manage to get his picture taken at least once with the very deep expression on his face. Maybe he looked around because he was interested in knowing if there was anything else he could do.

Not saying he is scuz like Shawn Penn.  JT did a good thing.  But JT is not quite the class act some are making him out to be either. Where are you in this spectrum of class acts? You're criticizing someone who actually helped.

"So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men.  I tell you the truth, the have recevied their reward in full.  But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret.  Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." I don't recall hearing it announced until he actually showed up and the news media started paying attention. He didn't announce it.

It's pretty lame you choose to condemn those who would help. Do something to help or appreciate those those who are doing so. If you can't do either of those, STFU - nobody wants to hear it.

Why all the anger?  STFU?  Did I attack you?  Geez, dude get a grip and grow up.

What is lame here is the pose of JT with the sheriff and all the duped folks who eat it up.  You do realize it is a pose, right?  JT allowed the pic to be taken with the solemn look on his face and his hand on the sherrifs shoulder in show of support.  Now he is getting all the credit he will ever get.   The deed was good, but posing for the pic is too much.

The vast majority of those who truly deserve praise and admiration for their selfless deeds in this and countless other scenarios will never be seen in the papers, on the net, or the news.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:44:47 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Scientologist quack or not, he's 100 times the man Sean Penn is.  Goes in quiet, helps, gets out of the way.

+1
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:50:41 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Why all the anger?  STFU?  Did I attack you?  Geez, dude get a grip and grow up.

What is lame here is the pose of JT with the sheriff and all the duped folks who eat it up.  You do realize it is a pose, right?  JT allowed the pic to be taken with the solemn look on his face and his hand on the sherrifs shoulder in show of support.  Now he is getting all the credit he will ever get.   The deed was good, but posing for the pic is too much.

The vast majority of those who truly deserve praise and admiration for their selfless deeds in this and countless other scenarios will never be seen in the papers, on the net, or the news.  

Listen, that was not even close to anger. You're running your mouth trying to put the guy down, when all he did was help. That's shameful.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top