Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2005 10:29:55 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:37:07 AM EDT
[#1]
He's always very wise.  Knowing his economics back ground I figured he'd talk about how the market should not encourage building a city below sea-level right next to the sea.  But this commentary goes much deeper.  

R.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:38:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Geeze...the issue of rebuilding has nothing to do with morals and everything to do with a city that lies well below sea level, sits between a big arse river and a sea level lake and moreover is in a hurricane prone area...not to mention the city istelf is sinking.

Move the Big Easy a bit north and let it be a sister city to Baton Rouge.  Make the laws liberal enough so that the liquor still flows easialy and the bobbies are abounding...you'll never know the difference...well that God awful smell of mold won't be there, but hey thats a good thing.  

BTW, I'll say the same thing when San Fran is leveld by a monster quake...  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:41:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Preach it, Brother Sowell, preach it!

Eric The(Amen!)Hun

Hear!  Hear!  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:41:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd like to meet Mr. Sowell some day and shake his hand.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:41:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
New Orleans can be rebuilt and the levees around it shored up. But can the moral levees be shored up, not only in New Orleans but across America?

No.  As long as you have a 'minority-majority' urban center, you have nothing more than a veneer of civilization.  The only way New Orleans can be restored is if it is inhabited by a new population where the minority is truly the minority.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:48:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I wanna make the man President of the USA!!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:00:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Mr Sowell is a perfect example of an outstanding Black American author/thinker who is sidelined by the Jesse Jacksons/Al Sharptons of Black America.

We need more men like him. Stanley Crouch and Bill Cosby are two more examples of what we need more of.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:02:19 AM EDT
[#8]
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion . . . Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."

John Adams

""[T]he Christian religion, in its purity, is the basis, or rather the source of all genuine freedom in government. . . . and I am persuaded that no civil government of a republican form can exist and be durable in which the principles of that religion have not a controlling influence."

Noah Webster

""Human law must rest its authority ultimately upon the authority of that law which is divine. . . . Far from being rivals or enemies, religion and law are twin sisters, friends, and mutual assistants. Indeed, these two sciences run into each other."

James Wilson

"Men, in a word, must necessarily be controlled either by a power within them or by a power without them; either by the Word of God or by the strong arm of man; either by the Bible or by the bayonet."

James Winthrop

"Religion and morality are the essential pillars of civil society."

George Washington

" "[O]nly a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."

Benjamin Franklin

The message from our founding has been clear: Only a people who hold deep moral convictions and principles which they consider inviolable are capable of being a free people. Government is erected to enforce those principles on the few who will not obey. But if the whole of the people become corrupt, they will no longer be able to sustain freedom, and the government will try to control them rather than obey them.

The modern trend of sneering at concepts like morality will be the destruction of real freedom if people do not sober up and quit behaving like animals.

New Orleans ought to be a wakeup call. It ought to remind the whole nation of the wisdom of our founders. Washington said it best:

|
 |
 |
 |
 V
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:04:51 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wanna make the man President of the USA!!!

LOL

I'd considered suggesting that myself but he addressed this once a few years back in one of his columns... He unfortunately has no interest whatsoever in running for POTUS.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:06:13 AM EDT
[#10]
He's one Brother with a good head on his sholders.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:11:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:15:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
New Orleans can be rebuilt and the levees around it shored up. But can the moral levees be shored up, not only in New Orleans but across America?

Sowell misses his own point. That using tax dollars to rebuild New Orleans will only further the welfare state.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:30:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:32:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
By the way, AR15fa, what part of California do you live...

Saddleback valley.  A location chosen specifically for its conservative base and lack of mudslides, wildfires or significant earthquakes.  We do suffer the man made problem of the silent invasion from the south though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:17:38 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Mr Sowell is a perfect example of an outstanding Black American author/thinker who is sidelined by the Jesse Jacksons/Al Sharptons of Black America.

We need more men like him. Stanley Crouch and Bill Cosby are two more examples of what we need more of.

I think Alan Keys should be added to this fine list.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:35:19 AM EDT
[#17]
There IS a way to raise New Orleans above sea level...and not by dropping sea level either...

You know it was at one time ABOVE sea level but from man-mad flood control, sediments that offset natural subsidence were stopped with flood control projects.  

But I will wait for the desire before I volunteer my plan...
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:34:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:48:40 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think Alan Keys should be added to this fine list.

And "Sir" Walter Williams

forgot the "Black Avenger" Ken Hamblin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top